Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personalised Avatars

Options
  • 02-10-2008 7:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Obviously not a huge issue, was just wondering why non subscribing boards users are restricted from using personalised avatars?. Was this option open to standard users at some stage and revoked because it was abused or something?.

Out of the few Vbulletin sites I use, boards seems to be the only one the restricts avatars...Any plans to make it non restricted?.

The selection that is there is grand like, just a general query....

Cheers!.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Although I don't know the reasons behind it, it was never something that was offered to standard users, it only came in with subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Although I don't know the reasons behind it, it was never something that was offered to standard users, it only came in with subscriptions.

Cheers Karl, I cant see the reasons behind it myself alright though am sure a lot of the boardsies would like to personalise their avatars and have one that maybe reflects their choice of username or says something about who they are..

Avatars are the tattoo's of the forum world!.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Feelgood wrote: »
    Avatars are the tattoo's of the forum world!.

And just like tattoos, they (the personalised ones) cost money on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Never gonna happen buddy.

What would you have to suscribe for then!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Beruthiel wrote: »

Sex.

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote: »

I would subscribe solely on the basis that my donated funds would be going to improve boards and the community. I wouldn't just subscribe for an avatar!!.

So basically a subscription buys you a personalised jpeg??. That just silly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

It would be is it was true.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

custom avatars in the hands of most people often leads to a big, in your face, flashing, mind numbing, epileptic annoyance.

Current system is fine.

I would subscribe solely on the basis that my donated funds would be going to improve boards and the community. I wouldn't just subscribe for an avatar!!.

the subscription is mainly to fund the running of Boards. Your way of saying thanks to Boards for the fun you get out of it.
    In return, you get a custom avatar option, email address, increased pm storage and access to the mods left over coke and hookers (sloppy seconds)

Rabies wrote: »
    custom avatars in the hands of most people often leads to a big, in your face, flashing, mind numbing, epileptic annoyance.

Current system is fine.

Understand that alright, but I think you will find that most users will go for say a band name, their football team, a picture of their pet etc. As I have said, personalised avatars are pretty much standard on the majority of Vbulletin sites. Obviously there could be a standard set for whats acceptable and infractions put in place for offensive avatars or something along those lines??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Could you not just subscribe?

50 euro a year really is feck all. Even do it for 13 euro for three months and there's your avatar. Tbh I don't see why a regular user wouldn't subscribe.

the subscription is mainly to fund the running of Boards. Your way of saying thanks to Boards for the fun you get out of it.
    In return, you get a custom avatar option, email address, increased pm storage and access to the mods left over coke and hookers (sloppy seconds)

And I'd having no problem paying it if boards came along at the end of the year and released some sort of a newsletter or update showing where the funds are spent and how they are spent, servers, memory, admins etc. What improvements have been made throughout the year, stuff like that.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Tbh I don't see why a regular user wouldn't subscribe.
    Not everyone has a credit card(not a very good point, I know, but still)

As I have said, personalised avatars are pretty much standard on the majority of Vbulletin sites.

This seems to be your only real argument as to why personalised avatars should be available to everyone.

I don't think it'll be good enough to change the minds of the Admins though.

And I'd having no problem paying it if boards came along at the end of the year and released some sort of a newsletter or update showing where the funds are spent and how they are spent, servers, memory, admins etc. What improvements have been made throughout the year, stuff like that.

That would be pretty cool.
    Though I magne that a large % goes towards the wages of the people who are paid to keep this board running (2 people full-time atm I believe).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

karlr42 wrote: »
    Not everyone has a credit card(not a very good point, I know, but still)

There's ways around that. People have organised others to do it for them in the past. Simple bank transfer etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Never was a feature on boards available to all. If you want it you have to cough up dough for it. Then again if as said in previous post you use boards a bit its nice to put something back.

Ponster wrote: »
    This seems to be your only real argument as to why personalised avatars should be available to everyone.

I don't think it'll be good enough to change the minds of the Admins though.

I'm not really arguing to be honest Ponster. Its just that by default personalised avatars are turned on with Vbulletin, obviously they have been switched off. Just curious as to why?, when essentially its not really that big of a deal to have them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I've never seen this nor had any such access. I demand an Emergency General Meeting of the shareholders. I demand my coke and sloppy seconds hookers!

Ponster wrote: »
    That would be pretty cool.
    Though I magne that a large % goes towards the wages of the people who are paid to keep this board running (2 people full-time atm I believe).

Wikipedia release their end of year accounts on their site every year, showing were all donations where spent. The owner actually states his take home pay on it!. Even if it is a complete load of lies, I think its great practice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I would imagine it's not likely to be a feature that the admins are likely to turn back on, due to the kind of people who'd abuse it.

You can look the Boards accounts by asking for them.

There is a small fee, can't remember where ya get them. But it is possible.

Boards is company, it employs one or two people. They need to be paid.

Boards seems to upgrade as soon as it needs to to. It might take time, but they do try to test out stuff first before doing a full upgrade and transition. This takes time, and money.

This place can't be run for free. Subscriptions help Boards tick along nicely. Ya get something back, sure its small, but it doesn't matter.

Throw a couple of € towards a minimum subscription, change your avatar. Ta daaaaa. Sorted. It makes you feel all warm and squishy inside. Then you get to feel a warm squishy hooker.

I really should be subscried by now, I am just so lazy lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Wikipedia release their end of year accounts on their site every year, showing were all donations where spent. The owner actually states his take home pay on it!. Even if it is a complete load of lies, I think its great practice.

Subscribe for one Month @ 5 Eurons. Get Avatar. Let subscription run out. No need to blow 50 Eurons!

Eh, you do realise you only get to keep the avatar while you're a subscriber? And I don't think monthly subscriptions exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Current system is fine.

If it's animated images you're worried about, then restricting it to jpegs would sort that out.
    karlr42 wrote: »
    Eh, you do realise you only get to keep the avatar while you're a subscriber? And I don't think monthly subscriptions exist.
    Monthly subscriptions do exist - see here - don't know if the avatar gets removed at the end of the subscription though.

Ah, I stand corrected.
    I'd imagine you'd have to lose the avatar, or else it defeats the purpose of subscribing somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Cannot understand this attitude.

Punters here seem to to have traveled the world,business class,every month.

Throw out a place name ,some punter will be "just back" from it, going to it

been to it on a year out trip,and yet there's shít goin on about a €50 p.a. subscription.:eek::eek:

There's one geezer here who seems to have challenged EVERY Boards.ie rule since he joined??. WTF?? You really got a bad beatin with the stupidangry stick. You know who you are.

Doesn't add up.

Pay up or STFU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Subscribe for one Month @ 5 Eurons. Get Avatar. Let subscription run out. No need to blow 50 Eurons!

Daithi, explain something... why the need to challenge everything???

Do you get some perverse kick out of it,or were you just born with a cretinous streak??

Just wonderin'

Advertisement