Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie online publication?

Options
  • 02-10-2008 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

Back in March around the time the podcasts were getting uip and running Dev posted this -
    DeVore wrote: »
    with all these areas covered by people with interests in them, I wonder if we couldnt produce an online newspaper/magazine.... hmmmmmm. Published once a week?

DeV.

A post by Feelgood today in the 'Personalised Avatars' thread reminded me of the idea -
    Feelgood wrote: »
    And I'd having no problem paying it if boards came along at the end of the year and released some sort of a newsletter or update showing where the funds are spent and how they are spent, servers, memory, admins etc. What improvements have been made throughout the year, stuff like that.

So could this possibly be a runner? Surely with all the various expertise available amongst the users it would be.

Thoughts?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Sounds like a good idea, but could require a lot of organization and time being put in by many users on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmm maybe get mods of various forums to do a "piece" on their forum. Rotated properly given the number of forums that would generate a fair bit of content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Just get Dev to give a State of the Nation address at the end of the year;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Cult gets one of those yankee editor's visors! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

karlr42 wrote: »
    Sounds like a good idea, but could require a lot of organization and time being put in by many users on a regular basis.
    A good few of us expressed an interest in it when it was suggested before, but I think at this stage it's just a matter of getting the ball rolling.

The potential is awesome. An e-zine produced entirely by boards users. Wow....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

A good few of us expressed an interest in it when it was suggested before, but I think at this stage it's just a matter of getting the ball rolling.

The potential is awesome. An e-zine produced entirely by boards users. Wow....
    Well, I'll defer to your longer time on the site ;)

Agreed, great potential, the collective knowledge on just about every and any thing known to man which is here on boards is massive. If it could be harnessed..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

In the kitchen with Dudess
    Degsy; What grinds my gears
    Agony Aunt Thaedydal
    Obituaries page = List of recently banned users

?

I look forward to the day where loads of forums have different publications, such as engineering, politics, science etc.

Krieg wrote: »
    Agony Aunt Thaedydal

?
    You forgot

You and your stars by 6th
    Hagars funny pages
    Monkeyfudges Monkey diary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Monkey news god damn it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think each forum could have a couple of pages where mods have a piece and some users of each forum have a piece too in a thread started by mods. The only issue of course would be the time needed to collate, organise, edit and publish these in a coherent manner and this would of course require loads of work. If we did do this then maybe the first episode (a 3 or 6 monthly publication) could be available to all users but then subsequent issues published in the subscribers forum only.

In theory I think this is a great idea, but it definitely comes under the slogan "Can't someone else do it" which is possibly symptomatic of why this probably wouldn't happen.

5starpool wrote: »
    I think each forum could have a couple of pages where mods have a piece and some users of each forum have a piece too in a thread started by mods. The only issue of course would be the time needed to collate, organise, edit and publish these in a coherent manner and this would of course require loads of work. If we did do this then maybe the first episode (a 3 or 6 monthly publication) could be available to all users but then subsequent issues published in the subscribers forum only.

In theory I think this is a great idea, but it definitely comes under the slogan "Can't someone else do it" which is possibly symptomatic of why this probably wouldn't happen.

Why? Non suscribers contribute as much (if not financially) as subscribers and to be honest this would be a bit divisive!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Why? Non suscribers contribute as much (if not financially) as subscribers and to be honest this would be a bit divisive!

Agreed if it does happen the newsletter should be open to all :)

It'd just be another reason to subscribe imo. In the thread the prompted this, the OP said he would subscribe if there was a newsletter of sorts (although he was looking for more of an accounts type thing). It's not like I am in charge of anything though so I wouldn't worry about my opinion :)

Edit: Although the reasons for not restricting it are possibly more powerful, such as wider exposure for boards etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

You forgot

You and your stars by 6th
    Hagars funny pages

I think I prefer the sound of Monkeyfudge's Monkey dairy.

5starpool wrote: »
    It'd just be another reason to subscribe imo. In the thread the prompted this, the OP said he would subscribe if there was a newsletter of sorts (although he was looking for more of an accounts type thing). It's not like I am in charge of anything though so I wouldn't worry about my opinion :)

Edit: Although the reasons for not restricting it are possibly more powerful, such as wider exposure for boards etc.

Right! Consider yourself ignored;) Seriously, I will get around to subscribing one of these days, but I think if the publication under discussion were to happen it should be available to all and have the option of being contributed to by all. I could even have a n00bs section titled "Why you should subscribe to stop baby Jebus crying"!

Right! Consider yourself ignored;) Seriously, I will get around to subscribing one of these days, but I think if the publication under discussion were to happen it should be available to all and have the option of being contributed to by all. I could even have a n00bs section titled "Why you should subscribe to stop baby Jebus crying"!

The busy life of a barman, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think I prefer the sound of Monkeyfudge's Monkey dairy.

Don't like the thought of milking them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

eoin_s wrote: »
    Don't like the thought of milking them though.

But I do... that's the whole point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

But I do... that's the whole point.
    where's your drums now? :p

Yah, I'd be in favour of this happening. I'd also be willing to take a big hand in the contributions. Or even the compilations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Krieg wrote: »
    Agony Aunt Thaedydal

?

Is that a request to write a bdsm advice column ?

Advertisement