Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dictionary and Mouse Settings on XP

• 02-10-2008 9:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Long story short is I have a Dell D620 which was originally installed with Vista but that cracked me up so I had it removed and XP installed by a reputable IT repair company.

Life is much better in XP world with the exception of two small but VERY annoying things:-

1. No matter what I do I can't get Office applications to retain English (Ireland) or English (UK) as the default dictionary, they always revert to English (USA) and as a result I end up with silly spelling with all "ised" turned to "ized" and "Colour" to "color" etc. I'm crap/lazy with spelling anyway so really need proper English. I've tried setting the dictionary to Irish or UK English within Word and English (Ireland) is set as the language in Regional settings in the Control Panel as well as changing the keyboard layout to "English (Ireland)" but still the default everyting I open a document is US English. Can anyone help me with this?

2. The other annoying thing is I use a docking station and wireless keyboard and mouse at work but when I bring the laptop home and open it up the pointer speed setting for the touchpad always reverts to a slow setting. I have to go into Control Panel/Mouse/Pointer Options every time, move the slider to the right, click on enhance pointer precision and then I can effectively use the touchpad but once I close the machine down it reverts to the old slow setting. Any ideas?

All suggestions much appreciated.

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I should first say that my experience is based on older versions of Word, so things might have moved on since then, but anyway ...

New Word documents are based by default on the normal.dot template, and take their language settings from that. Load up normal.dot in Word, select the whole document (ctrl-A) change the language to English (UK) or (Ireland) and save it again. That should solve it for any new documents you create (at least based on normal.dot, that is, if you use any other standard templates, you should do the same to them as well).

For existing documents you need to do the same thing, i.e. open the document, ctrl-A, change language and re-save.

The reason for this is that Word allows you to actually have multiple languages within one document, so just selecting a different language with the cursor placed somewhere in the text just inserts a code there to say that all text from that point on is in, say, English (UK), but you could just as well select a block of text and tell it that that bit is in French, or German or whatever.

Hope this helps. Don't know anything about the other problem though, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi Alun,

Thanks for the tip. I've searched for "normal.dot" on my machine including in hidden folders etc but can't find it. Is there a speacial way to open it and once it's open do I just make the change then save and close it?

Thanks for your help on this.

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BenEadir wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip. I've searched for "normal.dot" on my machine including in hidden folders etc but can't find it. Is there a speacial way to open it and once it's open do I just make the change then save and close it?
    It should be in C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates where <your user name> is whatever user name you log into XP under. Yes, just open it, make the changes, and then re-save it.

Advertisement