Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Desktop for my new guy??

• 02-10-2008 10:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I need to buy a strightforward desktop PC for a new guy starting in my office. His role will be mostly maintaining and customising an online CRM system we use as well as tweaking & updating our website content through an online content management system.

Any suggestions as to what I should get him and where? I was just going to go up to PC World or Harvey Normans in Carrickmines but then thought you guys would probably put me straight.

We have a wireless boradband conection so the machine will need to connect to that. I have an old unused XP disk as well as an old copy of Office 2003 so I can probably load them onto it. I would prefer he used XP and Office 2003 anyway as I tried Vista and Office 2007 and had to revert to XP and Office 2003.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Ben

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Get a dell. Much better warrenty with them. Give their sales line a ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

A nice cheap Dell Vostro with a WiFi usb dongle for around 15 euro will do the job.

These days even the very cheapest model will be more than enough in terms of processing power to do basic work related jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

stear clear of pc world and harvey ripoffs, as others have said even a low end dell would be more than enough especially if your going to use xp on it.

dont be afraid to push the sales rep,ie tell them after this one if happy more will be ordered etc etc my dad orders from them as a business customer regularly and they are usually quite willing to play ball, even when he asked the guy about getting a pc for home the rep gave a very nice quote on a well speced pc.

As said already in business its the warenty that really matters, and the on site repair or collect and return and what ever else dell do these days, it a much better than legging it have to harey and waiting 6 weeks to see it back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks Lads, much appreciated. I have really gone off Dell as the last few laptops I got from them never lived up to my expectation. their designs aren't very clever yet they don't have the rock solid performance of an IBM/Lenovo.

I guess for a desktop it's a different story and I'll take your advice.

Regards,

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

BenEadir wrote: »
    Thanks Lads, much appreciated. I have really gone off Dell as the last few laptops I got from them never lived up to my expectation. their designs aren't very clever yet they don't have the rock solid performance of an IBM/Lenovo.

I guess for a desktop it's a different story and I'll take your advice.

Regards,

Ben

The vostro Desk tops are very good and fairly future proof. I bought two for friends and they are still singing their praises.

You can pick up a Vostro 200 with 17 Inch screen for 349 xVat. Best to have a play with configuring them on the site.

• Advertisement
Advertisement