Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What IT Course do i do ???

Options
  • 02-10-2008 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

im male 27 and working doing accounts for the past 8 years in a building company

now i have no it education , all self thought , but if i sit and try and solve a problem , i usually 90 % fix it all be it maybe longer but the next time im quicker at doing it , its like im suited to it or it comes easy

now everybody in my job asks me about probs with phones , or pc's and i usually fix most in-house problems with pc's

so my question is

im looking to do an IT course , firstly from internet as im working fulltime , secondly as i cant afford evening courses ( mortgage and car + credit crunch )

but at the end of it , id like to work for myself or a company in call outs to clients and fix the pc's etc

what course do i start at ??? as i may do one and know most of it , so im unsure where to go

help

what about this site ????? http://www.transcender.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭de_shadow

I've been thinking along the same lines myself, and after a little digging i think my best course of action is to go with the Fas ecollege , the prices on some of the courses are very good compared to alot of the others i've come across and most if not all will give you a recognised certification.
    see here: http://www.ecollege.ie/site/html/courses/courseOptions.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

de_shadow wrote: »
    I've been thinking along the same lines myself, and after a little digging i think my best course of action is to go with the Fas ecollege , the prices on some of the courses are very good compared to alot of the others i've come across and most if not all will give you a recognised certification.
    see here: http://www.ecollege.ie/site/html/courses/courseOptions.php

Been thinking a lot about taking up either a distance learning or on-line course, thanks for the help :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

If I were you, I'd get myself a few MCPs and maybe a CCNA certification.

I know loads of people who have gotten the above, and they're no where near as difficult as people make them out to be.

You can teach yourself at home.

I'd also buy/find a couple of really cheap PCs and set them up on a wired and wireless network. Set up a mail server and a web server on the network.

For experience for your CV see if you can do any of the jobs on scriptlance.com. Most are programming/design jobs but you might find the odd job you can do. Also try helping out local charities to see if they need anyone to fix their network or whatever.

IT is a good broad industry with lots of opportunities. Best of luck.

Advertisement