Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC throttled -- How long will it last ?

• 02-10-2008 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

UPC have throttled me over the past week to 10 days. Only getting 100kbs where i normally get 1100kbs

How long does it last.. I dont really want to ring them up,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

yeah same with me!! wrecking my head..I can barely browse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Are you sure you're being throttled? My connection is like a yo-yo... anywhere from 2.2Mbps to 54Kbps in the same day. If they were throttling, it would be consistent, not all over the map.

Yeah I think so. When torrents are going, the connection drops to 50Kbps

Weird. When my connection goes to crap, it stays that way for hours, doesn't matter if torrents or anything else is running - other times, even with a ton of torrents going, I can max out the connection at 2.2Mbps so I can't understand what the hell is going on. Anyway, I'm getting closer to just dumping UPC - since these so-called "upgrades", the whole thing has become a joke...

I rang them a few minutes ago, they done a test on the line and I was getting 100% of the signal apparently but still the speeds are terrible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Guys, anyone who is getting a good rate via standard downloads but is receiving subpar torrent rates is being throttled. I am being throttled. I rang them up and they don't appear to be aware of it. But trust me, they have installed something similar to sandvine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Is there anyway to get around it?

(says the guy who cant get NTL BB)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

i'm going to change ports and see if thats helps it.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Guys, anyone who is getting a good rate via standard downloads but is receiving subpar torrent rates is being throttled. I am being throttled. I rang them up and they don't appear to be aware of it. But trust me, they have installed something similar to sandvine.

I agree. If there's something wrong with your line, your speeds will go to crap for everything: browsing, gaming, downloading from FTP, not just torrents - if it's just torrents, then they are throttling. I'm having so many problems with speed overall that it's impossible to tell if only torrents are been throttled or what the story is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 73ya42xumhb15g

Can some one tell me why the likes of rapidshare,megaupload, download.com etc. are so slow yet Heanet shows the full 10mb speed? Why is this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No idea boss. I do know rapidshare limits rates unless you have a premium account. Not sure about the other two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

dlofnep wrote: »
    But trust me, they have installed something similar to sandvine.

spot on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

It's pretty certain..

I have a server in the same data centre in the US as a speedtest server.. the speedtest reports 6.5Mbit/sec, but ftp from the other server (which has a 100mbps colo) is being forced down to 50-60kbps.

This is all very well for avoiding local congestion, etc, but there isn't much point in a 10 Mbps connection if you can't bulk transfer anything over 1 MBps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement