Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lip piercing not healing...

Options
  • 02-10-2008 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie to piercings really.
    I got my lip pierced last week. I posted a different thread on it (asking for tips on reducing swelling).
    Anyway...it doesn't seem to be healing at all.
    It doesn't look infected at all, but it is throbbing at times, still swollen and still quite red.
    Is this normal???
    I clean it about 3 - 5 times a day as follows:
    I brush my teeth (carefully - so I dont hit the piercing).
    I then use the antibacterial mouthwash I got at the piercing place.
    And then I clean the outside bit using the anti-bacterial lotion and a cotton bud.
    Am I doing something wrong? Or not doing something that I should be doing?

I have also started cleaning it, both inside my mouth and outside, with salty water, on Diceicles advise.

I'm trying my best to keep soap, make-up etc away from it too.

Thanks guys! :):):)

p.s. I love this forum :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

Unfortunately I can't give an personal advise, as my lip piercing lasted all of 6hrs (My mum promised she would quit smoking if I took it out, and out it came!) and I am sure someone else will pop along soon and give you better advise, but heres my 2 cents anyways...if it was only done last week, my only advise is to keep cleaning it/ taking care of it and be patient.
    Avoid smoking, alcohol and keep your hands clean, but do try not to play with it too much!
    Piercings can take varying amounts of time to heal on different people. While it might only take a week for one person, it could take a month for another.
    Try sucking on ice for the swelling for now, and if it still bothering you in a few days, maybe head back to where you got it done and ask their advise :)

p.s ibuprofen is not only a great painkiller, but an anti inflamitory aswell, so pop a couple of them if it hurts, should take away a little swelling too :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I would say yer nearly cleaning it too much. I would also suggest going to your piercer, it sounds like the jewellery could be too small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

yeah 3 - 5 times a day is way too much.
    go back to where they pierced ya and get em to check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Spider_Baby

Thanks guys :)

I think I'll head back into the piercing place over the weekend. I think the bar might be too small to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Lou110

looking for a bit of advice. i got my lip pierced nearly four months ago. for 3 months ive had a circular barbell in it. but because of a new job i must put in a clears labret stud. but im worried will this irritate the piercing and also im not very sur as to how to take it out kuz im afraid the threads on it will hurt. ne tips on how to change it back to the stud without bn so nervous??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mang

drop in to where ya got it done and ask them.. let them do it for ya and then when you see how easy it is, do it in thier company so they can assist you if you have any problems, after the first or second go ya should be grand.

Advertisement