Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Topaz Clean Fuel

Options
  • 02-10-2008 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Seen a billboard sign somewhere with Topaz claiming their "clean fuel" gives better efficiency.

Any body know how much better they are or noticed any difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Depends on what your car is?

tbh unless you are running a high performance car or driving very hard there will be no/very little difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

TOPAS is just Shell and Statoil garages rebranded, their fuel supply has not changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

its completely made up bullsh!t

They all draw their fuel out of TOP in the docks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Surely it must be false advertising then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

the old V-power was about 10% LESS efficient than normal fuel in my cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

From the Topaz web site:
    The additive is being sourced from international giant BASF and will only be available in Ireland from Topaz. Field trials have shown that its use can increase engine efficiency by up to 3% or approximately 400 miles a year for an average Irish motorist.
    http://www.topazenergy.ie/en/News/Good-news-for-motorists-as-Topaz-prepares-to-launch-more-efficient-petrol-and-diesel-products-/

3% is going to be very hard to spot over a tank of fuel, for me that would be of the order of an extra 18km from a full tank! And even a slight variation in driving style or traffic conditions would make that disappear. You'd need to have good (accurate) long term data on your fuel consumption before and after switching to this to know if the figures hold up.

Paddy

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hammertime wrote: »
    its completely made up bullsh!t

They all draw their fuel out of TOP in the docks.
    Topaz have seven terminals (of their own) around the country, each being filled by ships every few days! They may supply fuel to TOP alright and vice versa but they are not supplied by TOP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

kbannon wrote: »
    Topaz have seven terminals (of their own) around the country, each being filled by ships every few days! They may supply fuel to TOP alright and vice versa but they are not supplied by TOP!

Nah TOP bring in their own fuel they have a dept that buys it from teh boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Aparently its E5 that there now using in there pumps,the same as what maxol have been using

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Texaco are using this clean fuel rubbish too.

I normally get my petrol at Tesco but i cant make it there every time so i use a Texaco on the way home from work and i get the same mileage from a full thank of Texaco as i do with Tesco.

So IMO its a load of advertising bull!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

One word: Greenwashing

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

dade wrote: »
    Nah TOP bring in their own fuel they have a dept that buys it from teh boats.
    They often provide fuel to other companys when required (and receive it also).

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Best fuel efficiency I've gotten is from Texaco Tekron.

Only filled it up with the new Topaz clean fuel but haven't had it on a good run.

Fuel efficiency so far on motorway

Texaco - 33-35mpg
    Maxol 99ron E5 - 27mpg
    Esso - 30mpg

Topaz about 14-18 around town which is normal for the rest of em but in saying that the maxol 99ron stuff does give better performance to the car, noticable boost.

kbannon wrote: »
    They often provide fuel to other companys when required (and receive it also).

TOP are the largest importer of fuel in the country, a claim that is pretty much hidden as most of the big brands like to put out there that they handle everything from when it comes out of the ground until it gets to the forecourts, TOP are middlemen a huge percentage of the fuel that comes in for almost all the main brands. Portway for example draw pretty much all their fuel out of TOP in the docks and then drop it off into the other big depots around the country where the Maxols etc then draw it out and ship it in their branded tanker to its final destination. The depot on my premises would see anything fromn 300k - 600k liters a night unloaded from the TOP terminal and then collected by various companies tankers throughout the night.

Eireal,

E5 is pretty much the standard now, its a bt silly the way some Forecourts are saying they sell it like its some exclusive deal.

I don't even get asked when I order a load of fuel anymore, since about 8 months ago the only option was E5, you got it if you liked it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I was filling the car up in Tesco at Clarehall, now switched to the Shell/Topaz next door and have noticed an amazing increase in mpg...

I do believe it is down to the additives, cos I'm sure they both get the petrol from the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,002 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I was filling the car up in Tesco at Clarehall, now switched to the Shell/Topaz next door and have noticed an amazing increase in mpg...

I do believe it is down to the additives, cos I'm sure they both get the petrol from the same place.

Additives; tank, pump and line maintenance, etc.

I know from staff that work there that Tesco Maynooth and Topaz Lucan are filled on the same run from the same tanker as goes the raw fuel. One of them makes my car (brand new, 'adaptive mapping') run like a bag of hammers, one doesn't... and generally they're the same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jedijonvtec

what car you driving nialler? sounds incredible that you can get more mpg out of texaco compared to everyone else. my friends and i stopped usin texaco as we constantly got worse mpg than any other petrol stations in ireland.

there techron stuff is pure shy-tt.

esso , top and apple green were all average for 20 quid petrol. maxol slighly better at the mo.

are you a pr agent for texaco or something? claiming that much of an increase is a bit sceptacle, unless.....

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Unfortunately not Jedi wouldn't mind being in the fuel business, recession proof I'd say.

Anyways it's just what I've seen, better mpg on texaco, better performance on maxol, esso couldn't be bothered and not mad about the Topaz stuff either, car is a bit lumpy at times.

Car is a 00 Merc S320 LWB petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

How one can justify whether they're getting better mpg, performance or anything else on a certain brand of fuel totally baffles me. SO SO SO many variables every time you drive will be different. In order to test a fuel's efficiency you need ISA conditions on some sort of test bed where RPM and engine parameters remain a constant.

I average 45ish in my car, having driven about 25,000miles in the last year I can say i've noticed no real difference in fuel and i've used fuel from a lot of different sources.

For Topaz to claim better efficiency, to me is total an utter Green Flag waving, i've just gone through a fill of this " clean unleaded ", I got exactly the same miles to a tank as I did with local petrol which cost 4c less per litre. Wonder could I bring them to court for false advertisement under the Sale of Goods & Supply of Services act :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    From the Topaz web site:

http://www.topazenergy.ie/en/News/Good-news-for-motorists-as-Topaz-prepares-to-launch-more-efficient-petrol-and-diesel-products-/

3% is going to be very hard to spot over a tank of fuel, for me that would be of the order of an extra 18km from a full tank! And even a slight variation in driving style or traffic conditions would make that disappear. You'd need to have good (accurate) long term data on your fuel consumption before and after switching to this to know if the figures hold up.

Paddy

The best way to decide is use those cars that Volkswagen or BMW have hooked up to the computer to go around the track itself. The Computer will do it the exact same way all the time, so fill it with "normal" stuff, let her off till she runs dry, then fill it with the brialliant (!) Topaz special stuff and let her run dry. The difference should be noticable, if they're to be believed! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Flyer1 wrote: »
    How one can justify whether they're getting better mpg, performance or anything else on a certain brand of fuel totally baffles me. SO SO SO many variables every time you drive will be different. In order to test a fuel's efficiency you need ISA conditions on some sort of test bed where RPM and engine parameters remain a constant.

I average 45ish in my car, having driven about 25,000miles in the last year I can say i've noticed no real difference in fuel and i've used fuel from a lot of different sources.

For Topaz to claim better efficiency, to me is total an utter Green Flag waving, i've just gone through a fill of this " clean unleaded ", I got exactly the same miles to a tank as I did with local petrol which cost 4c less per litre. Wonder could I bring them to court for false advertisement under the Sale of Goods & Supply of Services act :rolleyes:
    I remember with the Celica I had, the first bar of the fuel (electronic) guage used stay on for ages after brimming it, usually around the 60 miles. Anyway, one day after filling up at a particular garage it was 100miles before going out. I was wondering how this could be, but further investigation revealed that the forecourt was sloped, so the front of the car opposite the fuel tank was the lowest point of the slope, therefore I was getting more in (like tilting a jerry can in order to properly brim it!). Maybe that's the reason for some people being convinced they get more miles from a "tank" from some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,002 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Biro wrote: »
    I remember with the Celica I had, the first bar of the fuel (electronic) guage used stay on for ages after brimming it, usually around the 60 miles. Anyway, one day after filling up at a particular garage it was 100miles before going out. I was wondering how this could be, but further investigation revealed that the forecourt was sloped, so the front of the car opposite the fuel tank was the lowest point of the slope, therefore I was getting more in (like tilting a jerry can in order to properly brim it!). Maybe that's the reason for some people being convinced they get more miles from a "tank" from some places.

Working out what you're getting from "a tank" is much easier when you've a fuelcard statement with odometer readings and exact litres dispensed on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't even get asked when I order a load of fuel anymore, since about 8 months ago the only option was E5, you got it if you liked it or not.

Are you saying that all petrol is now E5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Was that fuel shell sold that cost like 20c more than the rest just some scam btw, or was it actually of some use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Just a quick query on Maxol's E5 - is it ok to use that petrol in all unleaded engines in cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭vox

Just a quick query on Maxol's E5 - is it ok to use that petrol in all unleaded engines in cars?

Yes

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Are you saying that all petrol is now E5?

All I can speak for is myself, I now only ever receive E5 when I order fuel there is no other option, been like that for a good while, Portway just told me one day that all UNL will be E5 in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

All I can speak for is myself, I now only ever receive E5 when I order fuel there is no other option, been like that for a good while, Portway just told me one day that all UNL will be E5 in future.

Thanks for that, I better go out and check if I have E5 in my jerrycan.
    I'll be pissed off if it is without being told.
    That Ethanol is bad shyte, hygroscopic any water in your tank will be absorbed and run through your system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Drove from Limerick to Kerry this evening, Both TOP and the Garveys filling stations in Newcastllewest were both 114.9 for Unleaded and 117.9 for Diesel happy days! I haven't seen it at these levels since 2007, maybe there is a silver lining to the Recession. Then again that town does not have a Topaz Oil in town so maybe there is more competition around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

MYOB wrote: »
    Additives; tank, pump and line maintenance, etc.

I know from staff that work there that Tesco Maynooth and Topaz Lucan are filled on the same run from the same tanker as goes the raw fuel. One of them makes my car (brand new, 'adaptive mapping') run like a bag of hammers, one doesn't... and generally they're the same price.

You do realise that the tanker isn't actually one big long tank, yeah? There's 4 or 5 compartments which could each be holding a different fuel, although if Hammertime is to be believed they probably aren't.

We used to do a lot of work down the docks on the COP (common oil pipeline, which all fuel that comes into Dublin port is pumped through and divvied up to the different companies) and I asked the question years ago about the Shell stuff. I was told that the treatments/additives are added at the depot, between the stuff coming off the boat and going into the trucks.

Advertisement