Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Pregnant while Breastfeeding

Options
  • 02-10-2008 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I am currently breastfeeding my (almost) 14 month old son, but still havent gotten my period back. I've been TTC for quite a while now with no luck. I have a feeling I might be one of those women who dont ovulate before the return of periods. I tried OPK but its really expensive to test every single day of the month, so i only ended up testing every second day for 20 days, but nothing showed up.

I asked my obstetricians advice and he just said give up breastfeeding - my son was only 10 months at the time and there was no way I would do that. There has to be another answer, as I've come across loads of women who've managed it.

I have heard that taking Iron supplements can help bring back your periods, but the obstetrician dismissed that as a coincidence.

Any advise would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hi, I know a friend of mine did get pregnant while still breastfeeding but she was only feeding a little at night and her periods had returned. I didn't think anyone could ovulate without having periods :confused: (well except for the first ovulation before periods return!). How much are you feeding? would you consider cutting back a bit now to see if that makes any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Did you know you can buy ovulation sticks on ebay? I bought 50 of them when I started ttc and they worked out at about 20p each. For example; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRIVATE-50-OVULATION-PREGNANCY-FERTILITY-TEST-TESTS-KIT_W0QQitemZ150287880420QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150287880420&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

It's possible to conceive while breastfeeding, but less likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 foxylady5160

Can you still get preggers if you are only b/f at night and the morning and taking the mini pill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Can you still get preggers if you are only b/f at night and the morning and taking the mini pill.

Check with your dr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I got pregnant while bf so it is possible.Also the numbers are quite high i remember the midwife telling me this.Im just wondering how much are you feeding the baby as if the child is 14 months it wouldnt be that regular.Id go and see your gp just to put your mind at rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Breastfeeding is natures way of providing family planning. Lactational Amenorrhea Method or LAM can be used as a form of contraception, but as with any form of contraception, it is never 100% effective!

It all comes down to the supression of hormones by prolactin whilst breastfeeding.

If you are atill breastfeeding it is unlikely that you are experiencing any fertility problems, however, to put your mind at rest, a visit to your gp may offer some reassurance.

In the meantime, look up LAM which may also help to put your mid at rest.

Good luck with the baby making anyway! And well done for breasfeeding for so long!

Advertisement