Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is better B.Sc in Maths or BAFS degree?

Options
  • 02-10-2008 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

:confused: Might be you know folks what the difference is between B.Sc. in Mathematical at DCU and BAFS in Actuarial and Financial Studies at UCD?

What is better to choose?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

What do you actually want to do? If you're set on becoming an actuary, go BAFS or the actuarial maths course in DCU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

abc_ wrote: »
    :confused: Might be you know folks what the difference is between B.Sc. in Mathematical at DCU and BAFS in Actuarial and Financial Studies at UCD?

What is better to choose?

Do you mean the B.Sc in Financial and Actuarial Maths in DCU and the BAFS in UCD?

The UCD one is better obviously;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 abc_

I mean, what degree is better for Actuary B.Sc in Math or BAFS?
    Everyone knows what B.SC degree is. Haven't heard anything on BAFS. Cannot find an useful info on BAFS in Internet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Cannot find an useful info on BAFS in Internet

And people who do these degrees are supposed to be among the most able in the country!!

http://www.ucd.ie/statdept/aactstat/actuarialweb/index.htm
    http://www.ucd.ie/science/courses/mathematical_sciences.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I mean, what degree is better for Actuary B.Sc in Math or BAFS?
    Everyone knows what B.SC degree is. Haven't heard anything on BAFS. Cannot find an useful info on BAFS in Internet

Well if actuary is what you want, you should go for the actuary degree! A Bsc in maths is a science degree and won't equip you with the skills needed to calculate finances at a professional level (though I imagine it would be much more interesting).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well if actuary is what you want, you should go for the actuary degree! A Bsc in maths is a science degree and won't equip you with the skills needed to calculate finances at a professional level (though I imagine it would be much more interesting).

The actuarial degree will give you exemptions from some of the exams, but maths, stats and theoretical physics graduates can still train as an actuary. I know someone who has a masters in mathematical physics and is now training as an actuary.

The actuarial degree will give you exemptions from some of the exams, but maths, stats and theoretical physics graduates can still train as an actuary. I know someone who has a masters in mathematical physics and is now training as an actuary.
    According to DCU prospect B.Sc in Maths can gain exemption too:
    Currently ACM and FM students get a chance to gain exemptions in all eight CT Series subjects.
    http://www.dcu.ie/maths/actuarial/index.shtml

So, it seems much more wide-ranging degree.

This is true. You don't technically need any qualification to train as an actuary, once you sit the professional examinations.

So I think B.Sc in Maths of DCU covers both Science and Finance area for qualified actuary. While BAFS covers Finance only. Am I correct?

So I think B.Sc in Maths of DCU covers both Science and Finance area for qualified actuary. While BAFS covers Finance only. Am I correct?

No they both cover quite similar material.

The fact that it's called a B.Sc. makes little or no difference to what it is.

• Advertisement

Yea, that exactly the point. B.Sc degree is well known all over the world. But BAFS degree of UCD seems locking you on Finance only, not related to science at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

BAFS concentrates on actuarial science and financial maths, if this is what you want to do. If not, there are many excellent maths and quantitative degrees in UCD and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

You don't need to do an actuarial degree to train as an actuary. Firms are very happy to take on people with Finance or Science degrees. In the UK, it seems to be much more common to do a 'normal' degree with little exemptions.

At the end of the day, the actuarial degree will get you the exemptions but it won't be all that much easier to actually sit down and do the work. The experience gives you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Hey,

just wondering does anyone know how many exemptions are available in the bafs degree?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 aof

You can get exemptions from all 8 of the CT exams with BAFS. This is only if you get over around 60% in certain subjects. On average about half the class get all 8 exemptions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I'd have to say the UCD degree would probably be the better one;).

I'm not sure what the full story is with the DCU degree but you can get a total of 8 exemptions over the 4 years in UCD and this includes a 6 month placement in an insurance company in the second half of third year.

You can get one exemption in first year, 3 in second, 1 in third and 3 in fourth as far as i know.

Advertisement