Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rent tax relief from overseas landlord

Options
  • 02-10-2008 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I want to apply to tax relief from my landlord, but he lives overseas – in Dubai. Will it be difficult to get tax relief if;

A) He's not registered

B) Living aboard

I pay him monthly to his Irish bank account. He's not given he a rent book, but has signed a lease – standard format.

Thanks for any replies.

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

you can claim the rent tax credit as normal, but you're also supposed to be subtracting a percentage of the rent and sending it to the revenue. (your landlord then makes their tax return as normal and receives the withheld portion back if they don't owe any tax)

(see: http://www.revenue.ie/revguide/renttaxcredit.htm#section10)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tommy8969

Yeah, I found this out too late. I found the property through an estate agent and didn't find out the landlord was not living in Ireland until a phone conversation many months into my tenancy.

All I've had is his name and bank details. For the address on the lease he used his mothers address down the country.

Has anyone had any direct experience in dealing with this – does it take time to sort out?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sharpsuit

Hi - late reply to your query but it would be unfair for Revenue to penalise you for not deducting 20% of your rent when you were not aware that he resided overseas.

You acted promptly as soon as you were aware of his residence and the obligations that this imposed on you. In my view, you have a strong case for not being penalised for not deducting 20% of the rent and there is also an appeal open to you to the Revenue Appeals Commissioner.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tommy- I take it that you are now (belatedly) deducting the 20% witholding tax?

Advertisement