Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how good is this deal

Options
  • 02-10-2008 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

03 Toyota corolla
    1.4 petrol litre engine
    Full service history
    has spoiler and alloys
    taxed and nct ed
    mileage 80k
    price 8950 euro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭liberation

and this

2000 ford focus 5 door hatchback
    1.4 litre engine
    130000k mileage
    fully nct
    cost 3000euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

liberation wrote: »
    03 Toyota corolla
    1.4 petrol litre engine
    Full service history
    has spoiler and alloys
    taxed and nct ed
    mileage 80k
    price 8950 euro

Personally I won't buy any car with a spoiler and non OEM alloys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

and this

2000 ford focus 5 door hatchback
    1.4 litre engine
    130000k mileage
    fully nct
    cost 3000euro

130k bit too high for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The milage is quite high on the Focus and +1 to the comment about a spoiler and non OEM wheels on a 1.4 Corolla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

i don't think either of those are particularly good value op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

03 Toyota corolla
    1.4 petrol litre engine
    Full service history
    has spoiler and alloys
    taxed and nct ed
    mileage 80k
    price 8950 euro
    I think this one, in particular, is a joke.

Well im clueless when it comes to cars can someone recommend one for me im a first time buyer and doing my test for my licence soon

Well im clueless when it comes to cars can someone recommend one for me im a first time buyer and doing my test for my licence soon
    Do you have any friends or family who could help? If not, be sure to have a mechanic give any car a look over before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would suggest a small cheap car that you can use as a practice car. Also cheap on fuel and insurance. Something less than 1500 euro.
    Then once you are more confident and if you want - buy a bigger, more expensive car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

agreed.
    You get so much more for 9k tbh.
    this was literally one of the first things I found...

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Opel/Astra/1.4-LIFE/1113552/

Not a huge fan of them but a great lil car.

The last one's no use to you - it's automatic. You really need someone to go out car shopping with you. At that end of the market, my advice would be to stick to private sellers. However, if you know nothing about cars, buy the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

All those cars have very low mileage for their year, I'd want to see hard evidence via proven service histories, NCT certs, etc.

BTW OP you are aware that if you pass your test in automatic car then your licence only allows you to drive automatic cars. Doing the test in manual car allows you to drive both legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

As a matter of interest, how old are you OP?

It's just that if you're a first timer and either on a provisional, or just passed your test, you're going to be crucified on insurance. Buying a 1.4 or a 1.6 litre car is just going to make that worse.

Much as I hate to say it, you're probably better off finding something with a 1.0 or 1.1 litre engine, and for no more than €2,000, just for now. You'll probably put more dents and scratches on your first car then you will on all the cars you own in the future too, so you might as well just start with something cheap.

Once you've saved up the money and got a year or two of driving under your belt (and avoided a certain amount of insurance costs), you can get a real car :D

Plus, once you've got past the mechanics of clutch, handbrake, etc., you'll get a feel for driving dynamics and you'll have a better idea of what you're looking for in a car (size, power, suspension etc.)

Of course if you're rolling in dosh then ignore everything I've said...

Well this my first car but I am kinda late learning how to drive as im 30.

Advertisement