Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht vs Leinster

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Well done to Connacht 19-18 winners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

RuggieBear wrote: »
    con win.

killed the clock for the last 5mins

You do what you have to close out a game, frankly, it would have been idiotic to try anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Ah F@CK! Sickened i missed that. Great result though, memories of the win over a star studded Newcastle earlier in the season at the sports grounds.

Much needed win after the sh!te start we have had so far. Hopefully they can get a bit of a run going now.

WOOHOO for the win!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

great display from connaught.
    its really tough being a leinster fan sometimes.
    first munster now this..............no disrespect to connaught who totally deserved the win but how bad is this season gonna get?:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

You do what you have to close out a game, frankly, it would have been idiotic to try anything else.
    oh i don't disagree but its ****ing tedious for a neutral and torture if your team doesn't have the ball. lol
    great display from connaught.
    its really tough being a leinster fan sometimes.
    first munster now this..............no disrespect to connaught who totally deserved the win but how bad is this season gonna get?
    Ah tbh frank all it shows is that Leinster aren't playing well enough nor have the strength in depth to rest a number of our key players against a team who traditionally up their game 100fold against us.

RuggieBear wrote: »
    oh i don't disagree but its ****ing tedious for a neutral and torture if your team doesn't have the ball. lol

Ah tbh frank all it shows is that Leinster aren't playing well enough nor have the strength in depth to rest a number of our key players against a team who traditionally up their game 100fold against us.

True enough, but I reckon every Irish rugby fan was enthralled for the last 5 mins.

Still think Leinster will win next week, players will up their game for the HEC.

Murphy and Keatley for Ireland, Murphy's played better than any other irish scrumhalf this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Fair play to Connacht they really deserved that win, the binning incidents were some of the worst referring decisions iv ever seen. Leinster were dire a bunch of individuals and not a team i counted 3 times where a player could of passed which would of resulted in a Leinster try (Fitzgerald gave up a easy try to go for glory). Keatley out played Sexton showed him how a game SHOULD be managed. Frank Murphy had a great game and my god the Connacht pack were like demonstrated demons i say the sending off of McCarthy would have been a good motivation point for them. Gavin Duffy did superb in defence.

Also Kearney's lack of willingness to tackle is something that needs to be addressed he could end up in a similar bred as Geordan Murphy if it is sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Well done to Connacht on a well deserved victory.

As for Leinster, absolutely outrageous performance. I'm being very lienient in calling it an out an out disgrace that heads should roll for.

Chris Keane is an appauling player who should not play again. I've never been a fan of his but any go forward ball Leinster got he stood over, put his hands on, turned around, put out his right arm, waved the backline back, turned back to the ball, rooted it out, took a step backwards, then layed a ball to a forward or nearest player who is static, then trusting it's not turned over or knocked on, begins the process again until we lose it. At one stage I recall seeing the ball at the foot of the rook and from the moment it was presented it took nearly 25 seconds for the pass to be released, and when it wasm it was to Stan Wright who was standing back out of the way as Contepomi and the rest of the backs waited patiently for it to come. Shocking player not worthy of an "A" place. Why O'Donohoe hasn't been in this squad I'll never know. Particularly concerning as Whitaker is in his last season that their is even a remote possability that this waste of space will be near our 22, or even more hillarious, our first choice scrum half.

Keogh on the wing looks like a waist of time signing, all he did all night was run the ball into touch.

Keogh is not a number 8, he's not even a good six when he's in his "best" position, but with 3 flankers out there you would have thought we could retain the ball for more than 3 phases at least once in the game.

Toner is too much of a lady and doesn't like the physical stuff. Cullen isn't aggressive enough and showed pathetic leadership in starting a row that resulted in a yellow for Rocky and a very undeserved red for Connacht.

Sexton just doesn't have the game control to ever be considered a compitent number 10 and fair play to Keatley he proved we let the wrong player go tonight and also showed it's not impossilbe for a young outhalf to be able to kick goals and you don't need to compensate by playing a young out half by playing a second outhalf who can kick as well as protect him defensively.

Horgan has completely lost his form.

The front row, against a pack of 7, were incredibly stupid in giving away penalty and free kicks in an area they had complete domination by playing into Connachts hands.

The only players who should not be absolutely ashamed of themselves are O'Brien, Rocky, Contepomi, Fitzgerald & Kearney.

Cheika and Gafney shold be ashamed of themselves also. Backline has not looked like it has had any clue since the begining of the season and the game plan has been attrocious. We don't have a 10 who can control the game and the tactic of up and unders reminds isn't the most effective that loses possesion half of the time with very little ground gained.

Contepomi MUST play 10. Keane must NEVER play again. and the backline and whole sqaud need a serious kick up the hole and Cheika and his staff need to cop on and start picking the right teams and get a game plan together as these headless chickens look like they are going to fall flat on their faces this season and a poor Heineken Cup this year will result in us being cemented in the 2nd tier draw and who knows, if it carries on we could go 3rd down the line.

A complete joke and everyone needs a bollocking.

Over reaction? I don't think so!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

[Jackass] wrote: »

The only players who should not be absolutely ashamed of themselves are O'Brien, Rocky, Contepomi, Fitzgerald & Kearney.

I honestly think that Fitzgerald had a shocker he had a the line begging with a 3 man overlap and he decided to go himself and ends up loosing possession. Looked completely lost and out of position the only positive was that he did tackle. I honestly dont think he is cut out for 13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Well done Connacht, great win from their POV. While hating their game killing, it was extremely effective and well implemented.

As for Leinster, well, in serious trouble now. I agree with a number of [Jackass]'s points above. I've been concerned about Sexton at 10 for a while, I think Dr. Phil is the man for the job, regardless of whether we need to give Sexton time there to cement his challenge for a green jersey. In fact I don't think he's good enough to take it, not on the form of his last few games.

Leinster's backline has been an utter disaster.

The forwards were completely ineffective around the ruck, I've seen better rucking at J4 matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Same as last week though - pretty much all the turnover ball we got from the ruck was down to O'Learys stupidity as opposed to our back row doing any proper work. You'd swear they were civil servants.

Same as last week though - pretty much all the turnover ball we got from the ruck was down to O'Learys stupidity as opposed to our back row doing any proper work. You'd swear they were civil servants.

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

He sat on more ball that should've been sent out wide all evening - only chances we had for turnover ball was due to his slowness and poor distribution. He played better than whitaker, but he was still ****e, and would put a fair bit of blame for leinster getting near the ball on his feet to be honest.

Lads, how can you call for Contepomi to play 10 when for the last two weeks he has done absolutely nothing except kill the players outside him? The guy looks like someone who's playing out his contract and going through the motions. The player he was two years ago is not the same, slightly overweight guy out there tonight?

Oh, and can we put the "Cullen should play for Ireland because he's a born leader" rubbish to bed please? Absolutely headless and the only aggression he showed was a cheap shot at Keatley when Keatley's back was turned.

Healy did very well for a young lad and he'll be capped and playing for Ireland sooner rather than later, imo. Hard to know about Fitz and Kearney, great talents, but can they play to a gameplan, or are they just complete individuals?

He sat on more ball that should've been sent out wide all evening - only chances we had for turnover ball was due to his slowness and poor distribution. He played better than whitaker, but he was still ****e, and would put a fair bit of blame for leinster getting near the ball on his feet to be honest.

Agree, would love to see F. Murphy or Reddan back in Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    Yes, but why is there nothing happening publicly about trying to get Bradley out. I have nothing against the man personally but he is destroying Connacht. His decisions are dreadful.

Last year, during games the teams fitness seemed very poor especially compared with the opposition so they appoint new fitness coaches and ALREADY at this stage in the season, their fitness seems EVEN worse than last year, let alone some of his team positioning.
    It's well recognised that the fitness training in Connacht is much more rigourous than that of any other province.

In their defence they are on the backfoot so often in match that they use up so much more energy during the game that other teams, hence the apparent lack of fitness.
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Defence is a shambles, fitness levels are non-existent it seems

QFT, I'd rather win ugly than lose pretty.

Winners do what losers won't.

Also I thought Keatley was incredibly good tonight, and certainyl put his name forward for a Call up, obv not an OGara yet, but showing great signs. Also he's the only Irish out half you'd be happy having tackling on your team, saved the game with that technically briliant tackle on Elsom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Great win and fantastic atmosphere in the Sportsground - good timing to have Kidney in attendance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Better team won, felt it was a bad choice resting Jackman, Mal, Heaslip etc and not having them on the bench at least. Also our lack of depth at scrumhalf is getting quite worrying at this stage.

Also, I think the fact the match was on a Sunday may have also had an effect.
    When was the last time Leinster won on a Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Define: "Clutching at Straws"

pithater1 wrote: »
    Also, I think the fact the match was on a Sunday may have also had an effect.
    When was the last time Leinster won on a Sunday?

Define: "Clutching at Straws"

Lol I know! So far its the only thing i've found to clutch though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

From a Connacht pov this was brillant - a great result and well deserved on the night.

From a Leinster pov there's lots to ponder, this was ****e.

No try scored against one of the lower rated teams in the competition, how long is it since Leinster scored a try?
    No leadership on the field - Cullen should have got the YC for his cynical elbow after the try was scored.
    Sexton, what can one say about him? Poor distribution of the ball and even worse decided to go for glory with the line in sight and Leinster having an overlap.
    Coach - why was there no cover on the bench, no respect shown to Connacht?
    Shane Horgan? Great player but I just don't what has happened to him, he just doesn't show up anymore.
    I suppose a losing BP is some consolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Brilliant brilliant performance from a team of heroes tonight. Thrilled that they hung onto that lead till the end even with 14 men and retaining possession.

However there were a couple of things I thought were BS. That ref and assistant ref gave some appalling decisions. Just to clarify, I DID think that McCarthy deserved a straight red for headbutting Elsom EVEN if the first sin binning was bullsheet!!! On a couple of occasions there were obstructions by Lenister that were not pulled up particularly the one on Fionn Carr. A short while after McCarthy's sin binning, one of the Connacht forwards was pulled down in the lineout and of course no action. Players running into touch with the ball and the same assistant not calling it.

However, I STILL think the performance was down to the team and STILL think Bradley needs to go!!

Leinster performed very badly for players of that caliber and I think playing Elsom and Van Der Linde so early has had an unsettling effect on the rest of the pack and particularly on Cullen. I DO think he was a great pack leader with Leicester and last year with Leinster but that has gone to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

The first yellow card was given for repeated infringments. Something that is well covered in the laws.

Either way only a month or two ago Rocky Elsom was cited for pulling a player down in a lineout. So a yellow card seems justified for that offence if you can be cited for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭redroar1942

phog wrote: »
    From a Connacht pov this was brillant - a great result and well deserved on the night.

From a Leinster pov there's lots to ponder, this was ****e.

No try scored against one of the lower rated teams in the competition, how long is it since Leinster scored a try?

Couple of weeks ago against the Ospreys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Only caught the last 30 minutes as I was out but my god keane was absolutely terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Well done Connacht.

As for Leinster... played on the wrong day, so & so out of position etc etc... Bullsh*t.

They have a squad to kill for FFS. Get your act together & perform.

No more excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Shan75

Didn't manage to catch any of the game but I'm glad for Connacht.A great result after their recent games.I wish they could put a few wins together and not just get the odd great victory.It must be seen as a bad defeat though for Leinster especially with the H Cup fast approaching.I hope they manage to sort themselves out in time for their trip to Edinburgh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Well holy God! After the last few weeks I have no idea where that performance came from! Brilliant stuff. Best atmosphere I've ever seen in the Sportsground, great crowd on a beautiful evening, perfect for rugby. Beating the ML champions and not even conceding one try, and down to 14 men for almost half the game! Great stuff. Hopefully this is a turning point and they kick on from here. There was some awful stuff said and written about Connacht after last week, so its great to see the team finally produce a performance.
    As I was at the game, I didn't see any replays, but heard McCarthy went for a headbutt, if so he's lucky it was a second yellow and not a straight red. Cullen should have been binned though for his cheap shot. Touch judges were a disgrace - I thought players couldn't be ahead of the ball when their team is kicking off, but the Leinster 13 was 3 yards over the halway line every single time before the ball was kicked. I must be wrong though maybe thats allowed :confused:

Thought Keatley was outstanding, pity he had to go off but his job was well done by then. Johnny Concrete was brilliant in the loose today, and the whole pack were good in the scrum, particularly under pressure, but lineouts are still a problem. Great to get a chance to see Rob Kearney in the flesh, thought he was outstanding, and always dangerous with ball in hand.

Maybe Leinster would have won with a full team, we'll never know, but this was sweet and will be savoured all week! :D

Leinster looked very toothless in attack tonight, very worrying considering the HEC starts next week. I think tonight showed the attitude of we just have to show up to win this one that I had hoped had been banished by now.
    Hopefully this will put an end to Cheika's rotation policy.

The only positives I can take from this match were
    1- The lineout seemed to function decently
    2- Hopefully the massive kick up the arse this will have given Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

What rubbish rugby today from leinster.. I was so disappointed. Fair play to connacht they played well.

Seen two bad tackles from leinster, who should know better IMO. Rocky elsom could use some sprint training, he wasn't quick enough to land that try in the 2nd half.

Ah well.. no point crying over spilt milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

Sundy wrote: »
    The first yellow card was given for repeated infringments. Something that is well covered in the laws.

at the time, leinster had the same number of penalties as connacht yet nothing was done to them at any stage in the 80 minutes for their repeated infringements.

great win for connacht. hope the 3500 who were there tonight come back again and again, unlikely as that is. proud to be a westerner tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Well done to Connact.

Whither now go Leinster?

Certainly the squad is very good, and one of those famously awful nights out Wesht didn't help, but the team is yet to gel properly...

I really think Leinster need to invest in a decent winger, someone of the Hickie mould as well as perhaps seeking out a new out-half, simply because Sexton needs a little time to mature.

Saying that if D'Arcy comes back soon and finds some form, Contepomi could end up at 10 again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Well holy God! After the last few weeks I have no idea where that performance came from! Brilliant stuff.

Maybe Leinster would have won with a full team, we'll never know, but this was sweet and will be savoured all week! :D

Congrats Zzippy...made up for ye, great win...onwards and upwards from here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭redmca

My season with Leinster so far:

Bought a season ticket, was away for the first match, told my son to use my ticket, but it never arrived in the post.

I have since been at the Ospreys & Munster matches, watched Connacht last night, and so far have been entertained (??) with a grand total of 1 try !!!
    Sexton may be developing, but he needs side-lining for the HC or Leinster are finished before they start. They are getting more than their share of possession, but most of the time they are almost better off without the ball than with it !! How many seasons have started out with blinkered optimism?? This one is heading for a lot of same ol', same ol' ............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

redmca wrote: »
    My season with Leinster so far:

Bought a season ticket, was away for the first match, told my son to use my ticket, but it never arrived in the post.

I have since been at the Ospreys & Munster matches, watched Connacht last night, and so far have been entertained (??) with a grand total of 1 try !!!
    Sexton may be developing, but he needs side-lining for the HC or Leinster are finished before they start. They are getting more than their share of possession, but most of the time they are almost better off without the ball than with it !! How many seasons have started out with blinkered optimism?? This one is heading for a lot of same ol', same ol' ............
    Well Done Connacht!!!! Sexton can't get the line moving and doesn't have enough precision with his kicking. Leinster don't look the team without Contemponi at 10 and Le Roux propping.

I am also thinking Earls is a better player than Fitzgerald going on what I've seen this season. Fitz has a brilliant step but sometimes you just need to hit the line at the right angle at the right pace which is what Earls seems excellant at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

Great win for Connacht, I'm delighted for them. Keatley was brilliant last night.

Leinster's last two matches have proved that Leo is not the leader that he has been hailed as and he should be cited (he probably wont be) for his cynical elbow on one of the Connacht players as they ran behind the posts to celebrate their try.

Leinster have 2 wins, 2 losses and a draw from their 5 ML matches, where to for them in the HEC? Was there lack of respect for Connacht with the team and bench selection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I am a leinster supporter but have to give it to connacht for there briliant performance. Their defence was very good, leinster tried to break it down and got close but we could not finish it off.

Connacht holding on to the ball in the ruck for the last 6 mins was immense. They done it very well and even the big leinster forwards couldnt muscle their way in to get the ball back. great play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭redroar1942

pithater1 wrote: »
    Leinster looked very toothless in attack tonight, very worrying considering the HEC starts next week. I think tonight showed the attitude of we just have to show up to win this one that I had hoped had been banished by now.
    Hopefully this will put an end to Cheika's rotation policy.

The only positives I can take from this match were
    1- The lineout seemed to function decently
    2- Hopefully the massive kick up the arse this will have given Leinster.

I dont see the point in having such an expensively assembled squad if you're afraid to use it. Any team with HC aspirations has to be able to chop and change with confidence in the ML.

I would have thought that the no score against Munster would have been incentive enough. That performance was just unprofessional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Father Cleary

I jumped for joy last night and even as a Munster man it wasn't that Leinster were beaten, it was for Connacht who deserved that win. last year they came within inches of doing it and it must have been a bitter pill to swallow. So fair play on a savage win and hopefully they can keep it going for the year and get some Heiniken cup action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

As a fan of irish Rugby, Connacht did well. Leinster - for shame.

Leinster fans when we lose always seem to need a villain or a young player to target & have a go at for making rookie mistakes when they're still young & learning their trade - it's getting tiresome.

People need to get off Sexton's back.

1. He is 21, still learning his trade & will make stupid silly mistakes, & it's better he is making them now than in 4 years time at a world cup. He has had some bright points early this season already, but again - they're mistakes he'll learn from & will understand more as time progresses.
    2. He's never going to learn until the FULL responsibility of being an out-half is put on his shoulders & not just filling a physical position on the field
    3. He showed last season why his inclusion is justified, & people need to bear with it.

I've ZERO problem with the young bloods who are going to form the bulk of our next world cup campaign making mistakes, they NEED TO BE ABLE TO MAKE THEM, but I do have a problem with SEASONED veterans not showing the leadership when they do cock up to help pick the game up, which is why Elsom, Van Der Lindt, Conteponi, Horgan etc are also there; to help bring these young guys on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

ven0m wrote: »

I've ZERO problem with the young bloods who are going to form the bulk of our next world cup campaign making mistakes, they NEED TO BE ABLE TO MAKE THEM, but I do have a problem with SEASONED veterans not showing the leadership when they do cock up to help pick the game up, which is why Elsom, Van Der Lindt, Conteponi, Horgan etc are also there; to help bring these young guys on.

QFT, laying last nights defeat at the door of Sexton (just watched it on Sky+), is pure scapegoatism, and more than a little disrespectful against a cussed, dogged Connacht team who played out of their skins.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

As a fan of irish Rugby, Connacht did well. Leinster - for shame.

Leinster fans when we lose always seem to need a villain or a young player to target & have a go at for making rookie mistakes when they're still young & learning their trade - it's getting tiresome.

People need to get off Sexton's back.

1. He is 21, still learning his trade & will make stupid silly mistakes, & it's better he is making them now than in 4 years time at a world cup. He has had some bright points early this season already, but again - they're mistakes he'll learn from & will understand more as time progresses.
    2. He's never going to learn until the FULL responsibility of being an out-half is put on his shoulders & not just filling a physical position on the field
    3. He showed last season why his inclusion is justified, & people need to bear with it.

is sexton not 24 or 25?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Where did I lay blame at Sexton's door? WHERE?.
    Toomevara is completely agreeing with you not accusing you of blaming Sexton...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Where did I lay blame at Sexton's door? WHERE?

you need to check yourself & re-read my post. I WAS DEFENDING HIM & THE YOUNG PLAYERS WHO ARE CONSTANTLY COMING UNDER OVERLY FANATICAL ATTACKS FROM OVER ZEALOUS LEINSTER FANS.

buy glasses, or read before responding.

Jeez! He was agreeing with you! QFT means "Quoted for truth" - he thought what you were saying was spot on.

Anyway....

Ticket to match - €20

2 pints of Heineken - €10

Leaving Dublin early after a wedding to get back in time € less sleep...

Beating Leinster with a performance like that - PRICELESS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Jeez! He was agreeing with you! QFT means "Quoted for truth" - he thought what you were saying was spot on.

Anyway....

Ticket to match - €20

2 pints of Heineken - €10

Leaving Dublin early after a wedding to get back in time € less sleep...

Beating Leinster with a performance like that - PRICELESS!

QFT is 'quoted for truth'? what? deleted OG post so, cos I've always been told that's 'Quit F88kin talking' - wooooopppssssssss, sorry Toomevara, stupid TLA's ...... mybad dude :-(

With respect to Connacht, I'm suprised the supporters club president up there hasn't sent me a text today, or maybe he's still celebrating his ass off today - wouldn't surprise me, but bloody hell they deserved it!!! Leinster were locked down faster than a poker game in the back of a church for the last part of the game.

I'm a Leinster fan, but I'll usually throw behind Connacht cos of how the IRFU treat them & am happy anytime they pick up a win, & for the sheer doggedness of their performance in the closing stages;

CCC'MMOOONNNNNN COONNNAAACCCCHHHTTTT!!!!!!!! :-D

p.s. I stand corrected, Jonathon is 23 as of this year

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/profiles/531.php?player=15303&includeref=dynamic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 kingking85

funkyflea wrote: »
    What rubbish rugby today from leinster.. I was so disappointed. Fair play to connacht they played well.

Seen two bad tackles from leinster, who should know better IMO. Rocky elsom could use some sprint training, he wasn't quick enough to land that try in the 2nd half.

Personally I think Rocky Elsom was one of the Leinster players who played yesterday. Hes a big man and covered the ground very quickly and fair play to Keatley for that tackle. Where was Elsoms first centre, Contepomi for support and where was the support all night? Leinster weren't commiting bodies to the rucks and Connacht were killing them at the breakdown. Sean O'Brien carried well but bringing on Cameron Jowitt is terrible. Jowitt shouldnt have a contract along with Keane.

Hopefully the big guns will come back next week and make amends in the HC

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Maccers55

Dave Joyce wrote: »

However, I STILL think the performance was down to the team and STILL think Bradley needs to go!!

i totally agree with the above. My one worry about yesterdays great performance is that Bradley will get credit for it.

This was clearly down to the players playing out of their skin for each other in an absolutely dogged display. It was the teams hunger and will to win coupled with a few top class individual displays and not any stroke of genius from the coach that brought Connacht a deserved victory.

If anything this performance shows what these players are capable of given a decent coach who can get the best out of them week in week out. Bradley still has to go!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

The last 6/7 mins reminded me of a certain game in Cardiff this year!
    Leinster were poor at 9,10 and 12. They won most of the lineouts and dominated the scrum but were toothless in midfield. Not Blaming Sexton as such but Felipe wasn't good.
    Fitzgerald looked dangerous with ball in hand and Kearney was good. Horgan laboured bigtime.
    Johnny O Connor was exceptional in the breakdown and the rest of the pack worked tirelessly. Murphy and Keatley were fantastic. Loved it when Murphy had a go at Stan Wright!!
    Fairplay Connacht, Munster won't be looking forward to the trip west.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

I also think laying blame at the door of players like Sexton and Keane is not really on. The real person (people) who should be shouldering the blame is the Leinster Management team.

I have been a season ticket holder for the last 3 years (this being my 4th) and if anything Leinster seem to be regressing. This is our most accomplished and expensively assembled squad and with the Mangers League victory last season we were meant to push on and challenge on two fronts this season.

Instead we have a pack that while doing ok in set pieces, does not seem to be moving well around the park. Half backs that are being chopped and changed every game and seem bereft of ideas and a backline that looks like they've never played together.

Cheika and Co really have to step up to the mark as do several of our senior players. I have faith in them and fingers crossed, we can overcome this stuttering start and break our Murrayfield jinx this week.

Blured wrote: »
    I also think laying blame at the door of youngsters like Sexton and Keane is not really on. The real person (people) who should be shouldering the blame is the Leinster Management team.

I have been a season ticket holder for the last 3 years (this being my 4th) and if anything Leinster seem to be regressing. This is our most accomplished and expensively assembled squad and with the Mangers League victory last season we were meant to push on and challenge on two fronts this season.

Instead we have a pack that while doing ok in set pieces, does not seem to be moving well around the park. Half backs that are being chopped and changed every game and seem bereft of ideas and a backline that looks like they've never played together.

Cheika and Co really have to step up to the mark as do several of our senior players. I have faith in them and fingers crossed, we can overcome this stuttering start and break our Murrayfield jinx this week.

Keane isn't a youngster, he's 30 at the end of this month, but apart from that you are spot on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement