Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Difference between 1.4l petrol/diesel 307?

Options
  • 02-10-2008 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking to buy my first car soon, I am looking at a Peugeot 307, 2002, with approx., 50-60k miles.
    Heres my question, what is the difference between a 1.4l petrol and a 1.4l diesel(both 2002)?
    If anyone could help me out, or give me a link(I have looked) to what the diffs would be in relation to fuel comsumption, insurance(Just got my Full license, plus been driving 1 yr before hand on provo), tax, and anything else that I may have forgot.
    Thanks in advance,
    Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

same ish insurance
    Same tax (1.4)
    Diesel will be much much better on MPG
    No idea which will be better to drive
    Its a sh** car by the way, modern peugeots are crap to drive, badly built, dealers are usless, somehting like 135/141 worst in some recent survey for customer satisfaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Yep, what he said.

If you really have to buy a Pug, get the diesel IMHO - the diesel engines are the best feature of Peugeots.

The petrol engines are gutless and crap and my experience of this is based on repeated car hire on my regular trips to France every few weeks. I now demand a diesel and walk away if they only have the petrol variant...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You have to do the maths on buying a petrol v diesel. The diesel car will cost more to purchase than a petrol equivilant, diesel fuel is dearer at the pump than petrol, road tax is the same price, power from a diesel engine is delivered through a limited rev range and diesels are noisier especially at idle.

However diesels are more economical, can handle higher mileage than a petrol engine and will be worth more come selling time. I also find diesels to be more relaxing to drive as you don't rev them or change gears as much as a petrol.

So if you are not doing alot of mileage then a petrol probably makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Notch000 wrote: »
    Its a sh** car by the way, modern peugeots are crap to drive, badly built, dealers are usless, somehting like 135/141 worst in some recent survey for customer satisfaction

Dunno about that.My wife has a 2002 XS 1.4HDI with 120k on the clock and it never gave an ounce of trouble and is a pleasure to drive. A bit general I think. All Brands have bad eggs. Look at some of the German Models for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

@ bazz i would have assumed that there is more changing gears involved in diesel engines due to the tiny tiny power band, agreed about stressed revving

@ moanin - not intrested in arguing for/against peugeot. Although I stand by my statement, i own a peugeot myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Notch000 wrote: »
    @ bazz i would have assumed that there is more changing gears involved in diesel engines due to the tiny tiny power band, agreed about stressed revving

Mmm, maybe it depends on the driver and the roads you drive. I find I change gears less since I moved to a diesel over a year ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

milod wrote: »
    The petrol engines are gutless and crap and my experience of this is based on repeated car hire on my regular trips to France every few weeks. I now demand a diesel and walk away if they only have the petrol variant...

The petrol model is a slug (15 secs to 60), but the diesel is even slower (16 seconds!). You can expect hat-wearing Mayo Jetta drivers towing trailer-loads of sheep to overtake you. You'll have to pull over to let Micra-driving nuns by. I'd bet on a Morris Minor beating a 1.4 307 away from the lights.

These are not quick cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭pjjk

Thanks for replies, seeing some people here seem to dislike Peugeot 307s, what other cars would be good as a first car, preferably a 1.4l hatchback.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ford Focus 1.4/1.6 petrol would be my choice, i have the 1.4 petrol myself, great to drive, great handling, the 1.4 engine is not going to win any races but it works just fine. Mine is an 04 hatchback, not an ounce of trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

i would have no prob recommending the 307 hdi (diesel). brilliant car. i dont think anything in this class will beat it for comfort or features. xt is the top of the range model i think i could be corrected though. comes with climate control automatic wipers, lights etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement