Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now I've heard it all!

Options
  • 02-10-2008 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

I've had a phone call this morning from a lady who has found a Staffie earlier this week. She was desperate to find a rescue space for the mite as she can't keep her. She lives in a city on the Westcoast and I asked her why she didn't contact the local rescue. But she did, she said, and was told that their insurance doesn't cover *fighting dogs* so they wont take the Staffie and advised her to take her to the Pound. However, since I have taken Bull Breeds from them in the past, I was hopping mad.

Maybe I should try that line next time I get a call about a stray dog...:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

EGAR wrote: »
    I've had a phone call this morning from a lady who has found a Staffie earlier this week. She was desperate to find a rescue space for the mite as she can't keep her. She lives in a city on the Westcoast and I asked her why she didn't contact the local rescue. But she did, she said, and was told that their insurance doesn't cover *fighting dogs* so they wont take the Staffie and advised her to take her to the Pound. However, since I have taken Bull Breeds from them in the past, I was hopping mad.

Maybe I should try that line next time I get a call about a stray dog...:eek:

EGAR you online...can I PM you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

You can.

You can.

Sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭fits

I've heard similar stories about lurchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

If the rescue operates a facility that the public can visit, rather than working through a foster network or private boarding, they're probably hog-tied by their public liability insurance, which probably won't cover the restricted breeds.

I know LAW have this problem - we can't have any sheps for example at the sanctuary so a friend of mine takes them under her wing in her own home. It sucks!

• Advertisement

I've had a chat with one of their volunteers. The volunteer adopted a restricted breed of them a few years back and was now told that they wont take the dog back if something goes wrong. Even if it was found straying they would place it in the pound. The dog is a GSD. That is sickening.

I didn't mention LAW or in fact ANY names.

I know Sarah, just giving a reason why a rescue might find themselves in this position. But there's no excuse for a rescue worker branding a staffie as "a fighting dog" - that's ridiculous. It's like describing German Shepherds as "attack dogs."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Its pathetic, why would a restricted breed be inclined to bite anymore than any other breed of dog. Most of the smaller breeds are the ones that bite, not the restricted breeds.:mad:

I've had a chat with one of their volunteers. The volunteer adopted a restricted breed of them a few years back and was now told that they wont take the dog back if something goes wrong. Even if it was found straying they would place it in the pound. The dog is a GSD. That is sickening.

That is sickening Sarah - rescues have an obligation as far as I'm concerned to take a dog back if the adoption's not working out, regardless of it's breed! If the rescue can't hold the dog at their sanctuary due to PLI surely arrangements could be made to place it to a foster home, or heck, even the home of one of the rescue's volunteers.

This is a problem LAW have now... Previously, our dogs were rehomed out of foster homes or privately operated kennels, where PLI wasn't an issue. Now that we have a sanctuary that is open to the public, we are restricted by our PLI. (Pardon the pun.) So for example, a shep that would have been homed by us several years ago from one of our foster homes could not be surrendered to us at our sanctuary by the owner. It would have to go into a volunteer's home until such time as it was adopted out again.

• Advertisement

I have public liability not a bother. Boomerang, you've edited your post ;)

Yes I have, for clarity.

I've seen the letter from our insurers, so I tell no lies and have nothing to hide.

Personally, GSDs (along with collies) are one of my favourite breeds, which is why I think the whole thing sucks.

Incidentally, LAW often dogs from the restricted breeds list for rehoming. And my friend Ann (who I already mentioned) rescues sheps under the auspices of LAW all the time.

Well, then I hope that peeps who donate to rescues who don't take in restricted breeds are being made aware of this fact. Otherwise it wouldn't be right, IMHO.

It would be interesting to know what various rescues' policies are on this issue, Sarah... I can't believe that any educated doggy person would have a ban on rehoming restricted breeds without a darn good reason... Just off the top of my head I can't think of any rescues that have a moratorium on the restricted breeds.

It's shocking, I think any rescue that operates with this restriction should make people publicly aware that this is their policy. As a rescue GSD owner I would not donate to a rescue who adopted this policy but were I NOT AWARE of it there is every chance that I would donate and I don't think that is fair.

What exactly is the issue with the Public Liability Insurance that creates the difficulty? Is the insurance breed specific and if so what are the breeds covered? Is it the 11 restricted breeds or is it narrower than that?

Well, I am not having a pop but did LAW inform peeps when they were fundraising for their new centre that it wouldn't be housing restricted breeds?

Because that is where it starts, on the ground. I wouldn't give a penny to a general rescue (breed specific ones are self-explanatory) who doesn't take A, B or C. But I need to be aware of it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i used to show and breed staffies i have never been bit by one --but a few young children have sunk teeth in to me -lets muzle em [kids i mean]

As I understand it Thalia, the rescue can not have any of the dogs on the restricted breeds list (or their crosses) on a premises to which the public have access. I **presume** the insurance company believes these breeds to pose a greater risk to the public than other breeds.

Of course, to any of us who actually work with dogs, we know this is completely daft and that this list and the decision as to what dogs were to be included, is fairly arbitrary. I know that Boxers were considered for inclusion, which I'm sure a lot of people who find shocking!

Anyways to get back on topic, if a member of the public visited the premises and was bitten by a dog that is on that restricted breeds list, and they sued the rescue, the rescue would have no insurance to cover the cost of the claim, which could run to thousands of euro.

My own rescue don't have a policy that excludes the restricted breeds from their care, but they do have an issue with public liability insurance so that such dogs can't be kept on their premises. Luckily we can get around this sometimes by keeping such dogs in our private homes, but of course we can only help a few, and there are so, so many staffies for instance needing help.

Well, I am not having a pop but did LAW inform peeps when they were fundraising for their new centre that it wouldn't be housing restricted breeds?

I honestly don't know Sarah if it was known in advance that we couldn't keep restricted breeds at the sanctuary - to the best of my knowledge the issue with the insurance only popped up quite recently. We did rehome staffies and staffy crosses from the sanctuary earlier in the year. We may not have restricted breeds at the sanctuary, but that doesn't mean we're not helping them full stop. Right now though we don't have space for **any** more dogs - be they on the restricted breeds list or no - we're full and rehoming is slow.

boomerang wrote: »
    As I understand it Thalia, the rescue can not have any of the dogs on the restricted breeds list (or their crosses) on a premises to which the public have access. I **presume** the insurance company believes these breeds to pose a greater risk to the public than other breeds.

Of course, to any of us who actually work with dogs, we know this is completely daft and that this list and the decision as to what dogs were to be included, is fairly arbitrary. I know that Boxers were considered for inclusion, which I'm sure a lot of people who find shocking!

Anyways to get back on topic, if a member of the public visited the premises and was bitten by a dog that is on that restricted breeds list, and they sued the rescue, the rescue would have no insurance to cover the cost of the claim.

My own rescue don't have a policy that excludes the restricted breeds from their care, but they do have an issue with public liability insurance so that such dogs can't be kept on their premises. Luckily we can get around this sometimes by keeping such dogs in our private homes, but of course we can only help a few, and there are so, so many staffies for instance needing help.

Does that apply across the board with insurance companies?

It really disappoints me to know that were my dog to go missing eve though she is chipped(please God & touchwood that never happens she is the apple of my eye) without her collar and be picked up that there are rescues out there that would direct her to the pound for insurance reasons, this is only something I've personally been made aware of quite recently.
    I think it's important that people know that there are rescues that have this restriction. Especially people with dogs who fall into this category. I mean in this instance these rescues may as well be owned and operated by Dublin City Council! :mad:

• Advertisement

To be honest, I just don't know, Thalia, and I can't answer the question for you. You'd have to ask someone who runs/operates a rescue with a public premises - I'm just a volunteer with one group.

Sorry I keep editing my posts but I keep refining what I want to get across!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Does this apply to crosses of the restricted breeds too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I posted something similar here recently after a friend of mine tried to put her Staffies in kennels while she was away on holidays, she was told the story about insurance policies and another said that other owner's had expressed concern about 'fighting dogs' in kennels and that it affected custom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I own a boarding kennel and have PLI. All breeds on the restricted list have to be on a lead and muzzled while in public areas, but thats it, there are no clauses that say I can't have any in the kennels.

It also says that these measures apply to any dog that appears 'dangerous' (sorry, can't remember the exact wording at the moment), whether their breed is on the restricted list or not.

And this is what you have sentenced to death simply because of the way she looks: Little Lisa, who adores children and is frightened of life. Who's only *crime* was to stray in the wrong city:

p906261.jpg
    p906262.jpg

SHAME on you!

Don't call yourself Animal or Dog Rescue if you don't mean it!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

And this is what you have sentenced to death simply because of the way she looks: Little Lisa, who adores children and is frightened of life. Who's only *crime* was to stray in the wrong city:

SHAME on you!

Don't call yourself Animal or Dog Rescue if you don't mean it!! :mad:

:confused:

Why :confused:?

My post is addressed to the *rescue* I mentioned in my OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Just saw this thread on the main page.

'Staffies'? As in Shaffordshire Bull Terriers? Those snarling beasts that Anto and Decco brandish on chains to frighten people? Those powerful, heavy dogs that cannot be pulled from a small child? Should be illegal IMO. All dangerous dogs should. Sure, it's the 'little' dogs that may bite more often, but once a 'Staffie' decides he is going for the kill, there is no stopping him.

Can't believe those photos TBH. What sort of parent would allow a small child near a dog like that? "Ah he won't bite - he's a friendly thing!" Famous last words.

If banning those dogs from our society saves just one child, it's worth it.

Oh Lord, let it rain some brain, the ignorant peeps are on the loose again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Oh Lord, let it rain some brain, the ignorant peeps are on the loose again.

Great contribution.

Advertisement