Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTV Europe Music Awards 2008

Options
  • 02-10-2008 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Forgotten pop star Rick Astley's 'Rickrolling' phenomenon has stepped up a gear - he is a surprise contender for the Best Act gong at this year's MTV Europe Music Awards.
    The singer's Never Gonna Give You Up pop anthem from 1987 was adopted by online jokers in April, luring music fans to sites promising exclusive videos by current artists - only to blast them with remixed versions of Astley's song, or his old video.
    The computer trick was dubbed 'Rickrolling' by YouTube.com users who were caught out by the prank.
    But it seems the joke has paid off - Astley, who hasn't had a hit record in two decades, will go up against pop superstars Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Green Day, Tokio Hotel and U2 to win the award for the Best Act In The History of the MTV EMAs.
    A spokesman for the awards says, "The audience has spoken and MTV has been well and truly 'Rickrolled'.
    "This surprise nomination truly demonstrates that the MTV Europe Music Awards is the most democratically selected awards show there is. Rick's fans have obviously decided that he deserves recognition as a pop icon and no doubt they are determined to make sure he wins on the night."
    The show will be held in Liverpool, England on 6 November (08).

Music stars the world over will gather Liverpool's Echo Arena on November 6, 2008 to kick off the 15th annual MTV Europe Music Awards, marking the first time that the legendary home of the Beatles has been chosen to host.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The digital host of this year's online streaming videocast is the Web's most famous Hollywood gossip columnist, Perez Hilton who will be in charge of live reports from backstage, along with red carpet interviews with celebs he loves to trash throughout the year!
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nominees are chosen by MTV, but fans have the final say on the top 5, and ultimately get to vote for performers in such categories as Album of the Year, Best Headliner, Most Addictive and new this year: Best Act Ever. Nominees include Michael Jackson, The Beatles and the Rolling Stones among dozens of others. [/FONT]

So who is presenting the show?[/FONT]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

in case anyone is interesterd Katy Perry is presenting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Which would be yet another reason NOT to bother with it this year.
    (like anyone needs any)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

My son is a steward at MTV gig tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Anyone watch Bono's sycophantic waffly bullsh*t speech for "Lord Saint Paul Mc Cartney"
    Someone should have picked them both off with a sniper rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Anyone watch Bono's sycophantic waffly bullsh*t speech ...

The guy is becoming a joke. Was he trying to start a riot or something when he started going on about "Liverpool the East coast of Ireland". Knob.

• Advertisement

Here is the full list of winners at the 15th MTV Europe Music Awards, held at Liverpool's Echo Arena.

Album Of The Year
    Alicia Keys - As I Am
    Britney Spears - Blackout - WINNER!
    Coldplay - Viva La Vida
    Duffy - Rockferry
    Leona Lewis - Spirit

Most Addictive Track
    Coldplay - 'Viva La Vida'
    Duffy - 'Mercy'
    Katy Perry - 'I Kissed A Girl'
    Kid Rock - 'All Summer Long'
    Pink - 'So What' - WINNER!

Act of 2008
    Amy Winehouse
    Britney Spears - WINNER!
    Coldplay
    Leona Lewis
    Rihanna

New Act
    Duffy
    Jonas Brothers
    Katy Perry - WINNER!
    Miley Cyrus
    OneRepublic

Ultimate Urban
    Alicia Keys
    Beyoncé
    Chris Brown
    Kanye West - WINNER!
    Lil Wayne

Rock Out
    30 Seconds To Mars - WINNER!
    Linkin Park
    Metallica
    Paramore
    Slipknot

Headliner
    Foo Fighters
    Linkin Park
    Metallica
    The Cure
    Tokio Hotel - WINNER!

Video Star
    30 Seconds To Mars - 'A Beautiful Lie' - WINNER!
    Madonna ft. Justin Timberlake - '4 Minutes'
    Santogold - 'L.E.S. Artistes'
    Snoop Dogg - 'Sensual Seduction'
    Weezer - 'Pork and Beans'

Best UK Act
    Adele
    Duffy
    Leona Lewis - WINNER!
    Ting Tings
    The Wombats

Best Act Ever
    Britney Spears
    Christina Aguilera
    Green Day
    Rick Astley - WINNER!
    Tokio Hotel
    U2

Artists' Choice
    Lil Wayne

Ultimate Legend
    Sir Paul McCartney

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol what a joke they are. Should just be renamed the Pop Awards. Plenty of sympathy votes going for Britney anyway.

And who the fuck are Tokio Hotel?

overall a terrible show

The best performance was Beyonce and the only saving grace was Jared Leto he is hot :o

Bono was an idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Good to see plenty of European winners among the EUROPEAN Music Awards!!! :rolleyes:

I think Kerry Katona might have been drunk presenting

The Killers also performed well

• Advertisement

JP Liz wrote: »
    Album Of The Year]
    Britney Spears - Blackout - WINNER!

Be f*cking serious please! That was one of the weakest attempts of a comeback album ever! Sympathy votes all around for the psycho!

Most Addictive Track
    Pink - 'So What' - WINNER!

Most addictive track? What a horrible excuse for an award! Seriously, you win an award because the thing is embedded in your head for the day, and the only reason it's there was because you went into a shop for a pack of cigarettes! Pink, well done, you must be very proud!
    Act of 2008
    Britney Spears - WINNER!

I actually can't argue here, Sympathy votes a rolling but nobody else in that list did anything remotely significant.
    New Act
    Katy Perry - WINNER!

Now that i've used up the barf bucket, i have to say that although i can't stand anyone out of that list, Duffy was robbed. She sounded like Dolly Parton on Helium during her performance though
    Ultimate Urban
    Kanye West - WINNER!
    The teenage girls have to vote for someone, I guess.
    Rock Out
    30 Seconds To Mars - WINNER!

Who the f*ck? I don't even know why Metallica or Slipknot were even in this list, as anyone who watches MTV wouldn't generally listen to either band!
    Headliner
    Tokio Hotel - WINNER!

Tokio Hotel as a headliner? Maybe in 2010, but not now!
    Video Star
    30 Seconds To Mars - 'A Beautiful Lie' - WINNER!

Not a feat to be proud of when your competition was dead in the water.
    Best UK Act
    Leona Lewis - WINNER!

Act is right, you're a reality TV star, not a musician!
    Best Act Ever
    Rick Astley - WINNER!
    Too bad April 1st was seven months ago.

Alcohol + Highlights show at 2am in the morning isn't ever a good combination. If this doesn't prove that MTV stands for Music To Vomit (by), then nothing else will.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

latchyco wrote: »
    My son is a steward at MTV gig tonight :)
    You must be very proud! :D
    JP Liz wrote: »
    New Act
    Duffy
    Jonas Brothers
    Katy Perry - WINNER!
    Miley Cyrus
    OneRepublic

Best Act Ever
    Britney Spears
    Christina Aguilera
    Green Day
    Rick Astley - WINNER!
    Tokio Hotel
    U2
    1. MGMT weren't even nominated! But I'd expect your one to win cause she presented the fùcking thing!

2. There's no point in even acknowleging the the Best Act Ever award, look who's in it, no Beatles, no Hendrix, no Zeppelin... and those are the fùcking obvious ones! Instead they have who!?! U-fùcking-2, Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, and a guy called Rick Astley wins the fùcking thing!!!

Well, it looks like "Musics Biggest Fan" doesn't have a great taste in music!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Why on earth are the lot of of you taking this so seriously?

It's most likely voted on by 14 year old girls. It's hardly the definative list of greatest artists around.

Blisterman wrote: »
    Why on earth are the lot of of you taking this so seriously?

I actually wasn't. I just had seen the highlights show and thought i would dissect to say exactly how bad it was. The music industry is getting worse unfortunately, and this is living proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Eh. Rick Astley won because some muppets from 4chan thought it would be fun to run a script that voted for him 100's of times a minute for a couple of weeks prior to the show. Out of all of the votes cast over all for the awards, 80% of them were for rick astley.

The voting system allowed people to exploit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Some smart asses Rick Rolled MTV. But MTV went along with it cos they iz down wiv da kidz.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Some smart asses Rick Rolled MTV. But MTV went along with it cos they iz down wiv da kidz.:cool:

Sounds like good ol MTV jumped on the bandwagon hey!? :rolleyes:

Advertisement