Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any pub showing the debate tonight

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Tom65 wrote: »
    Does Palin looking directly into the camera annoy anyone else? She isn't debating the camera.

As someone on BBC: "palin's only winning to those who don't understand the issues". I hope she isn't winning to anyone.

I think shes focusing on the camera waiting for the blinking light so she can stop panicing about what to say next and stop waffling bout energy for every answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Biden nailed her on the surge in Afghanistan

The three weeks spend in Iraq versus the spend in Afghanistan was a good point.

Biden - slipped up there debate-wise - shouldnt have mentioned time and got tangled up in minuatie.

Second sign by Biden - sweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

juvenal wrote: »
    Is it just me or does she seem to have a half-smirk on her face as she's making some of her points?

She realises the ridiculousness of the situation she's in.

Tom65 wrote: »
    Does Palin looking directly into the camera annoy anyone else? She isn't debating the camera.

As someone on BBC: "palin's only winning to those who don't understand the issues". I hope she isn't winning to anyone.

Camera bit hasnt annoyed me

Sadly I reckon there are far too many who don't have a notion of the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

when she stares at the camera and starts talking about herself and mccain it makes her come off as a shill. to me, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Re looking at the camera as opposed to the moderator/opponent (not sure if it was mentioned here or in another thread), it comes across as stronger and more forthright IMO. It's also a hallmark of US television, if you've ever watched sports analysis, the panel generally turn to face the camera as they begin to answer the question. I suppose it's to make the viewer feel involved.

Agreed, but she's referring to notes too much now. It reinforces that!

Biden looks STRONG on foreign policy.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Oh wow she got smug there when coming back on Biden about his voting history about iraq.

If Palin becomes VP, I'm going to live with Bin Laden in a cave. She's insufferable. Stop talking like it's a primary school!

They both look like they need a break. Biden is fluffing his words more often, and Palin keeps looking at her notes nervously after every question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

She's definitely pursuing a strategy of personality to influence the voter, smiling and so forth. Biden comes across as far more statesmanlike, and I think Palin's team decided beforehand that given his long experience in the Senate they'd struggle to beat him in a straight point-making debate, so they're mixing it up a bit.

Experienced voters won't be fooled by the personalities or body-language, and will be able to separate the wheat from the chaff, but as we've seen before, sometimes it's not this demographic that decide with outcome.

Interesting question re the death/incapacitation of the President!

The CNN Opinion graph on Uncommitted Ohio voters is going off the charts when Biden talks about Obamas Iraq policy. Add that state to the blue list.

edit: ugh she referred to the mavericks again. I want to field dress HER.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

she ****ing winked

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

WE ARE A TEAM OF MAVERICKS!

*SMILE*

ARRRRGGGHHHHH - some of her opening sentences are cringeworthy, especially when she uses phrases that Biden has already used "Heaven forbid that would happen" etc.

I personally have a lot of time for McCain, but I think that the selection of Palin as VP was a huge gamble designed solely to appeal to disenfranchised Clinton supporters. To the savvy voter, it will surely backfire. Although unfortunately there's still a chance it could work.

She's definitely pursuing a strategy of personality to influence the voter, smiling and so forth. Biden comes across as far more statesmanlike, and I think Palin's team decided beforehand that given his long experience in the Senate they'd struggle to beat him in a straight point-making debate, so they're mixing it up a bit.

Experienced voters won't be fooled by the personalities or body-language, and will be able to separate the wheat from the chaff, but as we've seen before, sometimes it's not this demographic that decide with outcome.

Exactly. I think Biden comes across as clearly knowing the points better, but Palin is relying on being middle class and 'average'.

I think Biden's tactics are right - attacking McCain, and his links to Bush, Palin's statistics, and coming across as statesmen-like as opposed to her 'average' thing. But he hasn't really finished her off.

Did she...really...just say that "gosh darnit"? Really?

Biden - not great on what he'd do as Pres
    Palin - waffle nonsense awful - "the cute bunny wabbit strategy"
    Biden - came back stronger on rebuttal and nailing McCain to Bush - very strong on the last eight years of the administration
    Palin - I want to puke on her rebuttal - yeah education is good - utter sh.i.te

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

has she answered whats different between bush and McCain yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

:eek::eek:

VP Colleen from Home & Away anyone?

"lol of course we know what a VP does"

...................well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Did anyone notice the smirk she gave after saying "John McCain already tapped me":P

From BBC:
    "Marc Ambinder, The Atlantic: Palin gets the name of the commander general in Afghanistan wrong: he's McKiernan, not McClellan. She does not know who he is, clearly"

This confused me. I thought she might've been referring to Scott McClellan, former White House press secretary. I hope this is picked up on.

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    has she answered whats different between bush and McCain yet?
    nope shes let biden run off with a lot of snipes tonight, including mccains vote for wall street deregulation and stating that mccains middle east policy is the same as bush's - neither points were countered by palin in any way.

Slagging off the moderator!! She's definitely appealing as the average Jane Doe, "I'm just like you and I can make a difference in your lives"

Biden is a smooth c*nt - this is the first real look I've had at him and I kinda like him!

Overheal wrote: »
    "lol of course we know what a VP does"

...................well?

yeah completely went away from the point - playing the image card

Biden looks like he actually has seriously considered what he would do as VP whereas Palin looks she has been given a list of play-things she could look after, but nothing really serious in terms of running the country

ARRRRGGGHHHHH - some of her opening sentences are cringeworthy, especially when she uses phrases that Biden has already used "Heaven forbid that would happen" etc.

I personally have a lot of time for McCain, but I think that the selection of Palin as VP was a huge gamble designed solely to appeal to disenfranchised Clinton supporters. To the savvy voter, it will surely backfire. Although unfortunately there's still a chance it could work.

I think she went back from 75 to 47% ob REPUBLICANS who trusted her to lead the country.

I'd say say she got some back. How much is the question!

OH Nice one one Cheney!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

VP Colleen from Home & Away anyone?

I hate you. I had successfully forgotten that movie.

NTM

That's a very strong criticism of Cheney - not mixing his words.

biden just took the easy money re: VP role.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

amacachi wrote: »
    Did anyone notice the smirk she gave after saying "John McCain already tapped me":P

He is still an old dog even at 72, respect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

That's a very strong criticism of Cheney - not mixing his words.

He's pretty dangerous on a hunting trip anyway.

• Advertisement

OH The kitchen table was brought up.

Next it will be the kitchen sink!

Advertisement