Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any pub showing the debate tonight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Overheal wrote: »
    he was thinking of his sons i think. got him emotional. will probably play in his favor actually

Indeed, countered the soccer moms argument!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

fantastic ending biden.....well scripted. good job scriptwriters

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Biden really took control in that debate but that was not the same Palin we saw in the Couric interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I think Bidan overall won, He started off steady and got numerous points that Palin did not address, Palin had an advantage in that she wasnt the mess a lot of people were expecting and she pushed the whole connection to the american people element very strongly which can prove very effective in these public debates.

But Bidan really put her in her place in the later part, he took the whole maverick smirk off her face and out trumped her cosy *people* anecdotes with his own.

I think he won it overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Biden was definitely the better speaker as he came across clear and concise whereas Palin was confusing and sometimes I found her hard to follow. However all she really had to do was to not feck up. The expectation was so low for her that as long as she didn't make any major gaffs she could be seen to have succeeded.

• Advertisement

CNN Analyst scores

Palin: 66
    Biden: 109

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I was hugely impressed with Biden. He seemed to know what he was talking about, and was, for the most part, able to articulate himself very well. Palin, though not terrible, was very average. She did well to throw out the rehearsed answers, but Biden's experience showed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Was it just me or did she admit to the mod that she found it really hard, when she was shaking her hand at the end?? May have just misheard that..

wow palins daughter is a ride too eh? heehee

*cough* jailbait *cough*

Biden really took control in that debate but that was not the same Palin we saw in the Couric interviews.

She'll reassure Some Republicans, Biden will reassure Independents, especially on Foreign Policy.

Biden will be viewed as the winner over time.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Biden was a clear winner, and despite Palin having some poor moments (especially in opening lines), she improved as it progressed.

I thought the image at the end as they met in mid-stage almost made it look like a senpai/kōhai relationship, which won't help the Republican ticket.

I'm not sure what some of the CNN "experts" were watching tonight (Ed Rollins - seriously is it too much to ask for some unbiased analysis??) !?!??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Let the spin begin

Much better debate than the first presidental

Palin didnt crash and burn which looked a possibility after Couric.

However her focus on image as opposed to substance was worrying.

She really came accross as the "beauty pagent" candidate.

I thought Biden was very impressive and won the substance of the debate.

The question is whether Biden or Palin will pull in any extra voters to the ticket. I can see Biden's performance winning over more of the middle ground (which is where the election will be won or lost) as opposed to Palin.

While Palin's performance will play well with the right-wingers, I cant see her getting many people from the middle ground to shift towards the McCain ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

God I wish Biden was the presidential candidate, I wouldn't mind at all who won then.

CNN Analyst scores

Palin: 66
    Biden: 109

For UNDECIDED'S about right!

True. For tonight she seems to have gotten through to more americans though. Biden entering C-Span talk mode tends to glaze the average voter's eyes over a wee bit. Using plain talk helped her, but then again Biden on her back pointing out she wasnt answering the questions worked very much against her. Personally I clicked with biden. I found myself muttering wtf? when palin started speaking in a lot of places.

sink wrote: »
    Biden was definitely the better speaker as he came across clear and concise whereas Palin was confusing and sometimes I found her hard to follow. However all she really had to do was to not feck up. The expectation was so low for her that as long as she didn't make any major gaffs she could be seen to have succeeded.

Completely agree on this.

Still can't understand why Palin was so hard to follow - individual sentences worked but she didnt seem to have any central point. Maybe a question of syntax or even accent?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Still can't understand why Palin was so hard to follow - individual sentences worked but she didnt seem to have any central point. Maybe a question of syntax or even accent?

I think the technical term is bullsh!tting

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

ok i got work in 4 hours.

BED!

No more debates on weeknights please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

next one is a tuesday, and you won't have the erection induced attention span to keep you awake through it

I dont see when she would have gotten the skill needed to stay focused on a point. on the senate floor its your life. but as a governor i guess you arent under the microscope all the time and its not a requirement to articulate the same stuff we all did in LC Hons English essays. Another thing that will have worked against her for sure.

• Advertisement

She'll reassure the grass roots who where losing faith in her!

Biden won though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

taconnol wrote: »
    I think the technical term is bullsh!tting

That'll be bovine faeces when the spin doctors analyse ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    ok i got work in 4 hours.

BED!

No more debates on weeknights please.

Yes. Nearly 5am here.

I've no lectures the days after the next debates. I'll enjoy a good drinking game then.

Goodnight all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

melissa long mmmm

Seanies32 wrote: »
    She'll reassure the grass roots who where losing faith in her!

Biden won though!

The thing is these grass roots were going to vote for McCain anyway - this has reassured sure, but the thing is the voter in the centre who is going to decide this election would surely be more likelier to vote Obama/Biden than McCain/Palin after this debate.

I think the VP race is a secondary factor in the Presidental race and the key thing people consider if they give it any real thought is - would I be happy if something happened the President and the VP ended up in power - in this case surely Biden has to be a major advantage as opposed to Palin.

Biden is unlikely to put many people off voting Obama whereas Palin is sure to lose McCain votes. The question is how many?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

juvenal wrote: »
    That'll be bovine faeces when the spin doctors analyse ;)

Misfart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

The thing is these grass roots were going to vote for McCain anyway - this has reassured sure

That is by no means a certainity. A lot of the right wing are unconvinced by McCain. The Rush Limbaugh listeners etc. Palins appointment was to appease them so it's pretty vital for her to shore that base up. If she and McCain can't then it's over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

banquo notice how i started a thread an hour before you, and i don't know why anyone would go into a thread about pubs showing the debate eitehr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOAm9ZCCpqg

What actually happened...

• Advertisement

cooker3 wrote: »
    That is by no means a certainity. A lot of the right wing are unconvinced by McCain. The Rush Limbaugh listeners etc. Palins appointment was to appease them so it's pretty vital for her to shore that base up. If she and McCain can't then it's over

I disagree with this as when push came to shove, these right-wingers were always going to row in behind McCain - they might not like him but they would have voted for him through gritted teeth.

If McCain/Palin weren't able to secure these voters they wouldnt have been anywhere near Obama in the polls.

Advertisement