Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any pub showing the debate tonight

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I disagree with this as when push came to shove, these right-wingers were always going to row in behind McCain - they might not like him but they would have voted for him through gritted teeth.

If McCain/Palin weren't able to secure these voters they wouldnt have been anywhere near Obama in the polls.
    yep. they might not like mccain but they by no means see obama as a viable alternative.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Still can't understand why Palin was so hard to follow

I have to say, I had no particular problem in following her when she had a point to make. Indeed, sometimes I had more gripe with Biden: He usually made good points, but sometimes you wished he'd hurry up and get to it without laying all that supporting groundwork.

I did dislike her tendancy to go to talking points, I think that was a bad move.

On the 'inaccuracy-meter', Palin screwed up the 'Obama never said the surge worked' line, he did finally conclude that it did. (though it was like pulling teeth). On a not-so-blatant level, Biden mis-characterised McKiernan on an Afghanistan surge. McKiernan wanted a wide-ranging dedication of assets, not just military, but he did not say that he didn't want a military buildup.

[Edit]The other one I caught was Biden's assertion that as the only thing the VP does which is related to the legislature is cast tie-breaking votes he's not part of the legislative branch.. For example, Cheney used his 'President of the Senate' hat to file in the Heller Supreme Court case in opposition to the Administration's position. (Administration wanted to remand, Cheney to sustain). Arguably this sort of thing can only be done in a capacity as a member of the legislature.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Overheal wrote: »
    yep. they might not like mccain but they by no means see obama as a viable alternative.

I am not saying they will vote Obama, they may not vote at all if they dislike McCain too much.

1 of the CNN panelists made an interesting point. For all the bad that came out of the Couric interviews, about 7 million watch cbs news, a few more million will have seen it on cable news shows and youtube etc but there will be a good 50 million people who would have watched this debate, a far bigger number so doing ok here will help her a lot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm a little disappointed no mention of firearms. Would have been a meeting of extremes: The author of the (congress-losing) 1994 AWB vs the Moose-hunting rifle-toter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

banquo notice how i started a thread an hour before you, and i don't know why anyone would go into a thread about pubs showing the debate eitehr.

Only 4 minutes in the difference, to my advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

On the 'inaccuracy-meter', Palin screwed up the 'Obama never said the surge worked' line, he did finally conclude that it did. (though it was like pulling teeth). On a not-so-blatant level, Biden mis-characterised McKiernan on an Afghanistan surge. McKiernan wanted a wide-ranging dedication of assets, not just military, but he did not say that he didn't want a military buildup.

[Edit]The other one I caught was Biden's assertion that as the only thing the VP does which is related to the legislature is cast tie-breaking votes he's not part of the legislative branch.. For example, Cheney used his 'President of the Senate' hat to file in the Heller Supreme Court case in opposition to the Administration's position. (Administration wanted to remand, Cheney to sustain). Arguably this sort of thing can only be done in a capacity as a member of the legislature.

Not true on the McKiernan, or I thnk you mean McClellan...?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7649817.stm

Advertisement