Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contrived detention of protestors

Options
  • 02-10-2008 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/10/02/europe/EU-Germany-G-8-Raids.php

what the laws on this, arresting people and laying all sorts of charges knowing they won't stick but doing it to get them off the streets before a big protest, its happened a lot where they arrest people before the summit protest and then leave them remanded them in jail for a week and them let them out, it happened in the US a couple of weeks ago, and some animal rights protesters just got a huge payout when their bus was turned around on the motorway on its way to protest and similar thing happen with protesters on that way is there anyway to prevent the police for this abuse of peoples rights? i think its happened here where judges have been malicious political by not letting political protesters out on bail when they lets all sorts of violent crims out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

The law will vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The lst time it happened here in a big way was when Reagan visited. Peter Sutherland had the peace protestors arrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I saw three tree huggers arguing with a group of TSG officers at Heathrow a while back, during the anti third runway protests.

I was going to stop and explain that TSG officers aren't employed for their converstional skills, but they looked like a bunch of rich kids tying to be bad, so i though i'd let them get on with it.:D

anyway. last i saw they were being turned around and told to go wherever they liked, as long as it was nowhere near Heathrow.:D

civil liberties, who needs them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

they were illegally searching them at heathrow too, until somebody just decide to ignore the police and walk past em and the police tried to seize there non-discarded vans.

power abusing police who needs em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

they were illegally searching them at heathrow too, until somebody just decide to ignore the police and walk past em and the polce tried to seize there non-discareded vans.

power abusing police who needs em.

That doesn't surprise me, I drove past a farm where they breed rats or something for the drug industry, there was a demo planned that day and the police had put up a 25 mile exclusion zone around the place. basically anyone with long hair and or driving a VW camper van was turned around, not in the politest of manners either.

There are so many excuses now for stopping and turning people away from things the police have almost a carte blanch ability to do as they please.

If there are state leaders involved then national security will be the excuse, if its an airport then the security and safety of people will be used.

People still have the right to demonstrate, they just have to pick and choose where and when. A rally in Hyde park or a city centre can still go ahead, as long as Gordon Brown. George W etc are miles away.

Advertisement