Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Metal" at the O2 Point

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

krimson765 wrote: »
    judas priest oh god!

just watched a video of painkiller...oh christ they are terrible.
    don't get it..i really dont..Enjoy the gig!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y_x_ikEoII

megadeth must headline!!!

I couldn't be ars€d about Judas Priest, as soon as Megadeth are finished im out of there and hitting the bar!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

seen priest in belfast with the scorpions ont he last tour and they were ****ing class,horses for courses i guess but just looked on the aiken site and the stage times are accurate
    JUDAS PRIEST: 9.10pm

MEGADETH: 7.40pm

TESTAMENT: 6.40pm

DOORS: 6.00pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Bah the only one i'd by interested at all in seeing would be Megadeth but not paying the price just for them...Was at Lamb of god in the academy last night and I have to say they were cracking, the atmosphere in the smaller arenas really can be amazing. Megadeth and testament turned up aswell saw Mustaine in the toilets...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Oral Slang wrote: »
    No way is it starting at 8pm anyway, both Megadeth & Testament are getting at least an hour and I think the curfew is still the same in the O2 - ie 11pm. I'd imagine those times are accurate, that's what I'm going by anyway.

I'd be really pissed off if I believed what it says on the ticket and turned up at 8 having missed all of Testaments set.

Just heading out the door for this now, have a good time folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Just back! :D Was up front, by the side at the speakers. Couldn't really make out vocals for Megadeth but their set was so cool. LOVED Skin of My Teeth, Symphony of Destruction and Peace Sells.

I hate Judas Priest because they are so cheesy, but the stage effects and costumes were fairly cool and I had a great laugh dancing and bouncing around especially to Breaking the Law. Had a really good night, esp for the price. Not keen on the new venue though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The show was good, the sound was fairly sh|te. Testament, just noise. Megadeth, slight improvement, Priest, more noise.

Megadeth was a massive disappointment, as they had a f**k load of amps, speakers, cabs, etc, but only 3 seemed to be hooked up to the guitars...

Priest was class. Good show, pity the sound wasn't the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Only went to see testament and missed a good deal of their set thanks to the poxy ticket, they still f****in rock though

Megadeth were the same as always, some great songs but just going through the motions. left after the first few JP tracks, not really a big fan of panto :rolleyes:

The fact that there was a veritable sea of mobile phones being held aloft during their set tells you all ya need to know about JP fans.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Bambi wrote: »
    Only went to see testament and missed a good deal of their set thanks to the poxy ticket, they still f****in rock though

Megadeth were the same as always, some great songs but just going through the motions. left after the first few JP tracks, not really a big fan of panto :rolleyes:

The fact that there was a veritable sea of mobile phones being held aloft during their set tells you all ya need to know about JP fans.:pac:

o.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Thank **** for Judas Priest, the best I've seen them, saving what would have been a shambles of a night. What a horrible, soulless, atmosphere sucking kip of a venue.

I stayed mainly near the desk, all I could hear for Testament was Eric Peterson, worst drum sound ever for them. Horrible, they seemed to be playing quite well, just couldn't hear anything other than rhythm guitar.

Same for Megadeth, although they need to lose that drummer, he makes Chuck Behler look like Sean Reinert. Broderick was impressive, he obviously spent a lot of time getting the solos right and while he did the Friedman stuff very, very well, he's a long way away from being able to bend a note like Chris Poland. Dave's vocals went from being painfully loud to completely inaudible. Couldn't really hear his guitar though. **** sound. No bass really helped Symphony Of Destruction and Peace Sells, thank you soundman again. But yeah, that drummer is three pounds of ****e in a two pound bag. I had hoped he would've gotten better since I first saw him in the Ambassador, but no he's just a **** drummer who's not up to it and he's more like watching a dodgy tribute act than what I remember of Megadeth.

The sound improved a few tunes into Priest' set, although it really was dreadful at the start. I got the feeling the sound guy was using that digital desk for the first time in his life, odd blasts of panning and reverb from time to time. **** sound aside, I thought it was a great set list, really ****ing superb song choices from them. Saw them in the SFX, saw them the last time in the Odyssey and this was by far the most enjoyable, they really redeemed what was looking to be a ****e evening. There was also a latency in the sound, you could see, for example, cymbals being hit before you'd hear it, at times with the way the venue absorbs the sound of the audience, it was almost like watching a badly dubbed DVD. I really don't want to see another band in that venue again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

That was an excellent gig. I was sitting up stairs right in front of the stage and the sound was top notch for Judas Priest who were by far the best band of the night. Halford was actually better than i thought he'd be, even for his age he's still putting on a great show. Testament were great the sound was good enough to know what songs were being played. what riffs but overall all wasn't brilliant. Megadeth were really 'Meh' for me. Dave was his usual "Get in and get out" self I think, not even saying a word to the crowd until after the first 3 songs. 'Deth were not as tight as I expected them to be but I have to say Chris Broderick was bar far the best musician in terms of playing ability and cohesion IMO.

Overall it was a great night, defiantly gonna be getting seating tickets again for any other gig there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

wasnt one of the better gigs ive ben too, testament were as good as wen i seen them in germany but guitars were a bit too drowned out , missed half their set tho :( megadeth were big let down, totally rushed through it and drums were so low couldnt hear bass drum at all, almost lost my shoe during them too , why does it seem like ppl jus go there to push and pay no attention to music ? didnt stay for priest , not a fan of them anyways dont think ill pay to see megadeth again twice is enough for me , testament id defo see again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Theres a lot of differences of opinion regarding this show, whether thats down to peoples tastes or their positioning within the venue Im not sure, possibly a combination of both. Anyway, heres my take. Testament started at 7pm sharp and although I know none of their stuff, I did enjoy them. Couldnt hear a word of Chuck Billy's vocals but that had more to do with his singing style than the sound. They played a full hour and I thought they did a decent job. I was looking forward to seeing Megadeth as I hadnt seen them before. However, I didnt think they were great. Hanger 18, Holy Wars, Peace Sells, & Symphoney of destruction are all classics, but I thought the volume was lower than Testaments set?! I didnt particularly think they were a tight unit and left me underwhelmed. I took my seat unpstairs for Judas Priest and I thought they were f@ckin awesome! From my vantage point the sound was crystal clear and loud as f@ck. Halfords vocals were incredible and they had a great stage show (hence the sea of mobile phones). They were in a different league to Testament and Megadeth and anyone who left before or during their set missed 80% of the evenings enjoyment. Sure the cape, throne and motorbike are all gimmicks but musically, Painkiller, breaking the law, Angel, & Hell bent for leather etc etc more than justify there legendary status. The next time there in town, Im there!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I have to say, I was v impressed with the sound for Megadeth, that being said I was right up front and in the middle. I thought the set list was fantastic, the classic 4 albums and UA. But I will say it was the usual 'don't interact with the crowd' Megadeth, but to be honest. I'm not there for that.

U allowed post photos of gigs up?

I'm not a fan of these big venue gigs. I got in during over the wall so I'm not sure how much I missed. The crowd weren't into it one bit, maybe because it was early. The sound was good for Testament when you were right up at the stage but back nearer the bar it was just noise.

I didn't watch any of megadeth.

Priest were absolutely brilliant. Halfords voice was great and they played a great set. Nice to see the sinner make an appearance. Talking to a few guys that saw them in the 80's 90's and more recently, they said it's the best they've ever seen them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

The delay was abit annoying. As the sitting positions, as I had booked seats in block L, which was directly in front of the stage, but as they weren't leting people up into the upper levels, ended up sitting in the far side of block F. The sound wasn't great for Testament or Megadeth, but was grand for Judas Priest.

U allowed post photos of gigs up?

Don't see why not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Sore head and a sore neck this morning which is always a good sign.

Disappointed with the Testament setlist would have liked some Souls/Ritual stuff but enjoyed them all the same. Chuck Billy looked massive on stage. I really enjoyed Megadeth, great setlist, last time I saw them was in the SFX for The World Needs A Hero tour and I thought they were shyte.

Not really into Priest but they were entertaining and Halfords voice sounded sharp.I think the venue is better than it was and plus you can have a beer watching the bands. €6 a pint a bit crap tho. All in all a good night and I met people I havent seen in years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭scubagit

the_syco wrote: »
    The show was good, the sound was fairly sh|te. Testament, just noise. Megadeth, slight improvement, Priest, more noise.

Megadeth was a massive disappointment, as they had a f**k load of amps, speakers, cabs, etc, but only 3 seemed to be hooked up to the guitars...

Priest was class. Good show, pity the sound wasn't the best.

Must have been in the wrong spot. Went upstairs for Megadeth and Priest and the sound was excellent!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Didn't hang around for Priest, zero interest.

I though Testament were fantastic even if they did have some sound issues.

Megadeth were just....Megadeth. Cracking set with the old classics although it was unusual that there were sound issues with the two UA tracks (Sleepwalker and Washington is Next).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Sound was complete crap - I was up front and there was very little low end. They needed WAY more bass (I only saw about 6 small woofers each side). Plus it was not as loud as I thought it should have been. I could actually hear every idiotic thing the twat behind me was trying to scream. (I could rant about the crowd all day, believe me).

Aside from that, the mix was terrible. I also thought the FOH guy was inexperienced. Sometimes the vocals were non-existent, other times the guitars. I couldn't hear Dave Mustaine sing, and I could only just about hear him talk into the microphone to say that was a small issue with sound.

Judas Priest were great, though Glenn seemed a bit distant. Rob was his rock-solid professional self. But I enjoyed Priest... just a shame about the sound etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Quiet proud of these photos and bruises I have :p
    (Mods Ill remove photos if now allowed)
    n642748361_2034473_3046.jpg

n642748361_2034491_562.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 maidenireland

Has anyone got any feedback on the Judas Priest gig?? I put a thread on the gigs & events board earlier, As I said I missed it due to being ill - just looking for a short version of events, any highlights?

Has anyone got any feedback on the Judas Priest gig?? I put a thread on the gigs & events board earlier, As I said I missed it due to being ill - just looking for a short version of events, any highlights?

I'm not entirely sure on the setlist but these are ones I can remember

Prophecy
    Eat Me alive
    Metal Gods
    Between the hammer and the anvil
    Sinner
    Green Manalishi
    Dissident aggressor
    Painkiller
    Breaking the law
    Electric Eye
    Hell bent for leather
    You've got another thing coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i agree with those saying the sound was pretty shi*e and to think they said the O2 was supposed to be the best sound system in europe :rolleyes:

anyways, couldn't make testament out at all, just noise, not a fan of their stuff and that set they played made zero new fans last night

megadeth were good to bordering very good on the night; short enough set and mustaines signing was a little low but i thought most of the their stuff came across very crisp, everyone near me was really into the megadeth stuff except the two new songs, mosh pits breaking out everywhere despite the security best efforts :P deth opened with sleepwalker and closed with holy wars, deths setlist

Sleepwalker
    Take No Prisoners
    Wake Up Dead
    Skin O' My Teeth
    Washington Is Next!
    In My Darkest Hour
    Hangar 18
    Tornado of Souls
    Symphony of Destruction
    Peace Sells
    Holy Wars

first time to see priest live, i enjoyed it, the stuck to their 2008 tour set exactly. great stage show and stage presence, it was obvious the crowd were not into priest as much as deth with was a great pity because they put on a great live show, good mixture of old and new, they played 4 songs from the new album and most of the classics, opening with new song Prophecy and closing with you've got another thing coming, new song angel is amazing live, beautiful song, priest setlist, first 3 songs and last 4 are in correct order the others not so mch

Dawn of Creation/Prophecy
    Metal Gods
    Between the Hammer and the Anvil
    Breaking the Law
    Hell Patrol
    Rock Hard, Ride Free
    Death
    Angel
    Eat Me Alive
    Dissident aggressor
    Devil's Child
    The Hellion/Electric Eye
    Sinner
    Painkiller
    Hell Bent for Leather
    The Green Manalishi
    You've Got Another Thing Comin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i agree with those saying the sound was pretty shi*e and to think they said the O2 was supposed to be the best sound system in europe :rolleyes:

Huh? The o2 doesn't have a sound system. It has excellent acoustics. The band's sound guy's sort out all that stuff. If the sound was shit then their sound guy's ****ed up royally because all the other band's who played before that night sounded fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

I think my neck is knackered completely after last night!! It was CLASS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

I thought the sound for Testament was good and Priest were just incredible, but couldnt believe how ropey the sound for Megadeth was. It only started to improve around Symphony of Destruction but even at that it sounded so low.

Megadeth were flawless but the sound let them down imho.

So glad I got to see JP live and that Halford can still git the notes. Usually the high notes go once the singer hits his mid forties, see Gillan, Lee et al but crikey he still has it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

scubagit wrote: »
    Must have been in the wrong spot. Went upstairs for Megadeth and Priest and the sound was excellent!!
    A lot of the people in this thread have said that the sound for those seated was pretty good, which is cool, but downstairs, it was fairly sh|te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Possibly the worst gig ive ever been to. The sound in there was terrible especially for Testement, things got better as the night went on but by the end it was still only tolerable IMO.

I could barely hear anything but kick drum for Testement, during Megadeths set daves vocal was insanely low and chris brodericks guitar was pretty much inaudiable. For Priest the sound was actually alright, but like the other two bands i could barely hear any bass guitar.

Did anyone else see the guys that were breaking up the moshpits aswell during testement. Disgracefull!! Also the fact that there was no pit and that the o2 is wider than it is long made the crowd sways and crushing a pivotal part of the night :(.

Personally itl be a while before i go back to the point for a metal show. Apparently KOL had great sound though which begs the question is it some greenhorn engineer they had on the desk whos never done a metal show or what?

I honestly thought the lighting system in there was great, not a MASSIVE step up from the point but the guy on the desk really knew what he was at.

Advertisement