Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Metal" at the O2 Point

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

jim o doom wrote: »
    lol!! inadvertantly? I was waiting backstage with a tub of vaseline and a smile ;)/joking (or am i)

Breakin' da rim, breakin' da ri... oh wait... BREAKIN' DA LAW... BREAKIN' DA LAWWWWWW!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Machine head's first album is the only one I love - after that it was the odd song here and there and that's it.. but damn I love that first album..

The security stopping moshing is so pointless, I've been to some pretty mental moshpits (the maddest being Napalm Death in the red box a good few years back) - and it's fairly rare someone gets injured, as far as I've seen.

Compare that to the potential injury from a chokehold, incorrectly applied or even worse the fight between bouncer(s) & some guys mates who they have stupidly picked on..

Truth be told, If a bouncer had a mate of mine in any sort hold (especially due to it being both wrong and illegal), I'd tell him to let go & if he didn't then I am sure me and my backup of loads of tall mates (I'm only 5 ft 8 but im heavy haha) would be having some choice words..
    It was actally funny for one of the pits during testement they stepped in to try to calm things down. However the bigger guys in there had no intention of stopping moshing, one of the security got knocked flat on his back and was spun around on the floor. I didnt see them trying to stop much after that :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Truth be told, If a bouncer had a mate of mine in any sort hold (especially due to it being both wrong and illegal), I'd tell him to let go & if he didn't then I am sure me and my backup of loads of tall mates (I'm only 5 ft 8 but im heavy haha) would be having some choice words..

Would you ever give over with the hard man talk for god's sake. You would do nothing.

Breaking up pits is bollocks but it's orders from the top with big venue gig's. If you want to go mad stick to smaller venue's, more fun anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    How much were the tickets incidently?
    Was only in the o2 once so far, and that was for UFC last month. I don't know how i'd be able to rate it as a music venue though, there isn't a hell of a lot of space on the ground level before it starts getting slopey. For seated gigs and other events, it might work, but for Rock/Metal gigs, the layout is a disaster.

Security was rubbish at the event I was at too, but i guess it's whoever they can get on the day.

I think they were 50 odd quid for standing 70 odd for seated... money well spent! Have a serious case of wiplash though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Was up in the seats, front nand centre and the sound was bang on. Must be acoustically better or something.

One of the most hilarious things looking down on the little hi-viz brigade meandering through the crowd looking for moshpits. At times they were about 6 feet away from one and just looking around for it while clearly being screamed at through their earpieces "It's on your left! YOUR LEFT!!!".

At one stage they went into one and rather than stop it they just got dragged into it. It was like watching 5 little pieces of corn swirling down a plughole. I was in my ROFL-copter.

Oh and Dave Mustaine has NO stage prescence. They should just play their CD and put a cardboard cutout of him on the stage. Same experience.

Priest were amazing.

• Advertisement

starflake wrote: »
    I think they were 50 odd quid for standing 70 odd for seated... money well spent! Have a serious case of wiplash though

Yeah, 50 quid is damn good for three bands that have all made huge contributions to the Metal scene over three decades (this one doesn't really count as they were all established and didn't really do much to note in the 2000s, not taking anything away from them, mind). I'm regretting not going, at the same time, i got a new piercing this week and wouldn't have risked going near a pit with it in me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

niallith wrote: »
    tbh this concert made me realise i hate goin to concerts in ireland mainly cause of the crowd ,all the absolutly pointless and annoying pushing,how can u enjoy a gig wen ur jus ben constantly pushed into the person in front of u and tryin to keep urself upright ? wen was at earthshakerfest in germany was a far more enjoyable experience,some of crowd jumpin,some wavin arms in air, mayb one or 2 mosh pits goin but jus fun ones not were try jus tryin to find an excuse to smash into som1 and hope to hurt them and then others jus standin in place headinbaggin like crazy, no bs pushin,
    anyways i was disappointed wit megadeth tho i suppose ill giv em the benifit of the oubt wit the fact they wernt headlinin and had to do a short and quik set,testament were great woulda ben nice to see them get a bit better of a response from the crowd ppl screamin for megadeth between songs..sjhould b appriciating wat a good show testament put on

tbh it's not just ireland that you get that. i was in the states 2 weeks ago for a couple of metallica shows. the 2nd one was in newark,new jersey. i can honestly say i've never been surrounded by so many dickheads at one gig in my life. half of them were wasted and looking for fights. moshpits turned into shovefests with people getting trampled all over the place. one young lady was on the rail and was getting wrecked by a big bastard beside her,security done nothing,they were too busy taking batteries from digital cameras!!! ended up that james hetfield enquired between songs if she was ok,ffs if the lead singer can spot it then wtf are security at?!!

don't get me wrong,i get pissed off at people in front of me watching a whole gig through a viewfinder but at the end of the day securitys main job is to ensure the security of the band/crew and the patrons in the venue,not to police david bailey wannabees. i dunno,maybe these security guys think that violence is all part of the "fun" of a metal show but i can see a fatality at a gig soon because the kids now don't know how to mosh and the etiquette involved and security don't give a ****.

rant over,sorry about that!!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

He's got a point about the crowed to be honest. Fair enough, it's one thing people moshing during testament or megadeth, but moshing during the green manalishi? what the **** like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

kevpants wrote: »
    One of the most hilarious things looking down on the little hi-viz brigade meandering through the crowd looking for moshpits. At times they were about 6 feet away from one and just looking around for it while clearly being screamed at through their earpieces "It's on your left! YOUR LEFT!!!".

At one stage they went into one and rather than stop it they just got dragged into it. It was like watching 5 little pieces of corn swirling down a plughole. I was in my ROFL-copter.

ive seen security at the point doing this too back in the day, spotters in the seating sending the hard men in to lay down the law on teenagers who are *gasp* sitting on someones shoulders, or even jumping around. this was the wrong crowd to pull that crap at, they were little more than human traffic calming measures. :pac:

Bambi wrote: »
    lay down the law on teenagers who are *gasp* sitting on someones shoulders

Yeah because sitting on somebodies shoulders while everyone is swaying/jumping isn't dangerous at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

He's got a point about the crowed to be honest. Fair enough, it's one thing people moshing during testament or megadeth, but moshing during the green manalishi? what the **** like?

It's a fantastic live song..

Davei141 wrote: »
    Yeah because sitting on somebodies shoulders while everyone is swaying/jumping isn't dangerous at all.

Can we get a happy pill over here stat!?
    Seriously, i watch House too, but I don't end up like Greg after four series either. Lighten up, dude. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Would you ever give over with the hard man talk for god's sake. You would do nothing.

Breaking up pits is bollocks but it's orders from the top with big venue gig's. If you want to go mad stick to smaller venue's, more fun anyway.

hard man talk? like I said I ain't a big tall beast at all, but if someone is willing to lay their hands on me, I will defend myself! it sounds totally "internet hardman" but I don't care if ya believe me or not (well only enough to respond once ;) )

and about sticking to smaller venues - then I wouldn't get to be moshing to testament, now would I?

And the most fun pits I've been in were really massive - especially napalm death in the red box about maybe 8/9 years ago.. and also over in Germany last year at whacken - ya certainly don't need small pits or small venues for a fun one - and regardless of the security I managed to have a fun mosh for every band at priest feast - and no security laid their hands on me, so no problem in any respect, except having to stop the odd time (sure I need frequent rests anyway - crap lungs :P )

Seriously, i watch House too, but I don't end up like Greg after four series either. Lighten up, dude. :)
    yeah jesus it's like listening to my ma when she was still around - "now don't be doing that, it's dangerous, ya might fall and break your neck"

..ahh relax there wouldja ma?? :pac:

and I thought metal heads were a bit adventurous. another childhood fantasy, laid to waste before my very eyes :)

and about sticking to smaller venues - then I wouldn't get to be moshing to testament, now would I?

You would have if McGons or the Top Hat were still around :(

and I thought metal heads were a bit adventurous. another childhood fantasy, laid to waste before my very eyes :)

Time was that they were, seems to be a lot of poindexters around though these days, I blame opeth and possibly dream theater.

*rocks chair on porch*

Time was that they were, seems to be a lot of poindexters around though these days, I blame opeth and possibly dream theater.

*rocks chair on porch*

OYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!
    Take that back and replace that with Dragonfarce, IMMEDIATELY! :D

I think this might explain the sound for megadeth.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_tours/megadeth_releases_tour_update.html

Not sure if hes talking about Ireland but if he did. Twould explain it.

:D
    hard man talk? like I said I ain't a big tall beast at all, but if someone is willing to lay their hands on me, I will defend myself! it sounds totally "internet hardman" but I don't care if ya believe me or not (well only enough to respond once ;) )

You go on and on about it. Fear the one who doesn't say anything, not the one who constantly talks about it.

Maybe not. But don't complain like your shocked because the same rules have been going on in the place for god knows how many years before it was refurbished.
    And the most fun pits I've been in were really massive - especially napalm death in the red box about maybe 8/9 years ago.. and also over in Germany last year at whacken - ya certainly don't need small pits or small venues for a fun one - and regardless of the security I managed to have a fun mosh for every band at priest feast - and no security laid their hands on me, so no problem in any respect, except having to stop the odd time (sure I need frequent rests anyway - crap lungs :P )

You don't need small pit's or venue's but they are much better IMO. And usually have zero security apart from bouncers at the door.
    yeah jesus it's like listening to my ma when she was still around - "now don't be doing that, it's dangerous, ya might fall and break your neck"

..ahh relax there wouldja ma?? :pac:

No climbing on peoples shoulders has been going around for how long? You all act surprised the same rules of the same venue's going on for year's. "Oh noes they stopped a pit and wouldn't let people sit on their shoulders in the Point."

*rocks chair on porch*

Actually some clowns spent the entire gig sitting behind the mixer curtain's sliding along the ground thinking it was great craic. Not that adventurous tbh...

Patricide wrote: »

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_tours/megadeth_releases_tour_update.html

I would say he is definitely talking about ireland. The gig was supposed to finish 40 minutes earlier but the delay was because testament spent 40 minutes after doors doing sound checks

• Advertisement

Maybe not. But don't complain like your shocked because the same rules have been going on in the place for god knows how many years before it was refurbished.

You don't need small pit's or venue's but they are much better IMO. And usually have zero security apart from bouncers at the door.

No climbing on peoples shoulders has been going around for how long? You all act surprised the same rules of the same venue's going on for year's. "Oh noes they stopped a pit and wouldn't let people sit on their shoulders in the Point."

Actually some clowns spent the entire gig sitting behind the mixer curtain's sliding along the ground thinking it was great craic. Not that adventurous tbh...

Sure sounds like you really enjoy going to gigs & that other people having fun doesn't annoy you in the slightest!

And re what you said about me complaining or being shocked - I can complain about STUPID and POINTLESS rules regardless of how long they have been in effect, because guess what ; the rules are stupid and pointless.

And I wasn't shocked, just vaguely irritated - and despite that I still got to mosh to just about every single testament & megadeth song (so no problem there) and I only bothered to mosh for painkiller and the song after for priest, because the rest was too slow.. ya can always get a mosh going, regardless of the stupid security.. and at the end everyone was too knackered and a lot of people were bouncing into security to annoy them (seemed to happen during megadeth and testament as well..).

Sure yer bitchin and moaning about people moshing or sitting on shoulders, why can't I do the same about the security?

The penny still hasn't dropped has it?

Sure sounds like you really enjoy going to gigs & that other people having fun doesn't annoy you in the slightest!

I was working at it. People acting stupid at gigs is nothing new, believe me.
    And re what you said about me complaining or being shocked - I can complain about STUPID and POINTLESS rules regardless of how long they have been in effect, because guess what ; the rules are stupid and pointless.

Which rules are stupid and pointless? Those rules came in because somebody got crushed to death in the old point so there has been a clamp down on moshing and pushing ever since. 7 thousand people with no crowd control sounds pretty god damn retarded, which is what you want. There is a reason small gigs don't need it. Can you guess why? :rolleyes:
    And I wasn't shocked, just vaguely irritated - and despite that I still got to mosh to just about every single testament & megadeth song (so no problem there) and I only bothered to mosh for painkiller and the song after for priest, because the rest was too slow.. ya can always get a mosh going, regardless of the stupid security.. and at the end everyone was too knackered and a lot of people were bouncing into security to annoy them (seemed to happen during megadeth and testament as well..).

You moshed and done what you wanted to do, so why the hell are you moaning so much in this thread then? Trust me i doubt it annoyed them. It's actually great craic.
    Sure yer bitchin and moaning about people moshing or sitting on shoulders, why can't I do the same about the security?

I wouldn't go to a metal gig and NOT mosh. But i understand why they have to stop it. Same with sitting on the shoulders. Can you not grasp this at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

best video i have seen of the gig on tuesday night, i seriously need to get me whatever camera this dude has :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Patricide wrote: »

Regarding that post, I absolutely remember an ambulance (presumably with the sound guy) leaving the O2 around the time the gates opened, before Testament took to the stage.

The sound at Megadeth wasn't at its best, but there was no change the tired old performance they've been bashing out year after year. Priest on the other hand, were full of vigor and gave a terrific performance, and thankfully by the time they took the stage there was a stark improvement in the sound.

Some bloke with the band tried to jump from the stage to the ground and caught his leg on the barrier face planting himself very badly before stumbling over to the mixer while testament sound checked could of been him in the ambulance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

It wasnt him, some young fella collapsed just by the entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Tim131

It was a good night! The shound was a bit tinny? no, megadeth lacked a certain amount of bass an ooomphhh.

What pisses me off is the constant moshing! Sure tis a bit a craic for the firs t few minutes or when a really heavy song comes on, but non stop, I think its time these 30-/40 year olds pushing young ones and women around to grow up.

Tim131 wrote: »
    It was a good night! The shound was a bit tinny? no, megadeth lacked a certain amount of bass an ooomphhh.

What pisses me off is the constant moshing! Sure tis a bit a craic for the firs t few minutes or when a really heavy song comes on, but non stop, I think its time these 30-/40 year olds pushing young ones and women around to grow up.
    Tis a metal gig, whatcha expect? Im grand with a mosh pit, you can escape that but the fact it was more people randomly pushing forward and left to right the entire time that annoyed me!

• Advertisement

omgz i wented to see thrash metal bands & there was mosh pit!! Someone call the care bears!! :(

I have this secret trick that i use when i dont want to be pushed around at a gig...i stay the f**k away from the pit :eek:...fiendishly cunning eh?

Advertisement