Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What constitutes respectability?

• 02-10-2008 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

What makes someone worthy of respect? (In your own view)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

It is highly subjective. It depends on the observers beliefs, likes and dislikes. In that respect, 'respect' can only be defined on a personal and individual basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

sink wrote: »
    It is highly subjective. It depends on the observers beliefs, likes and dislikes. In that respect, 'respect' can only be defined on a personal and individual basis.

Yes, I meant in respondents opinions. I should have made that clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

Economic self-sufficiency. If you can your make way through life as an adult without being a drain on the resources of others then you are worthy of respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Wisdom, foresight and empathy

Whether someone can support themselves or not, they could be a complete fool who could do this who is not worthy of respect but merely tolerance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Whether someone can support themselves or not, they could be a complete fool who could do this who is not worthy of respect but merely tolerance

I think you are right. Some people get confused into thinking that being mean or 'kicking ass' commands respect, but ultimately generosity/empathy commands more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

I would agree with this, but I would also add the ability, and the desire, to treat others with respect and consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Miacc

..self-sufficiency, not necessarily or only in terms of being able to support themselves financially, and the ability to have tolerance for others' **** behaviour, without hating them or becoming apathetic, knowing onself well enough to NOT be as obsessed with onself as a lot of people seem to be these days..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 spottedfrog

Someone is worth of respect if they respect others and "do unto others as they would have others do unto them".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Miacc

you're right - yours is a better definition of being worthy of respect spottedfrog.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

It depends on the person. It's usually someone who lives out our dreams or lives/does things by/close to our moral beliefs. Like if you were an environmentalist, you'd have more respect for someone who picks up their litter than someone who constanly litters.

It also depends on their personality also. Someone who is an idiot, would hardly command your respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Someone who continually tries to better themselves and the world around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ponygirl

Affable wrote: »
    Sincerity. It's a quality that captures my respect and admiration every time (and makes me try harder to shake off my own creeping cynicism).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Being intelligent and kind, holding your ground when it comes to tough decisions and never doing something that you feel is wrong or unethical.

Being open-minded but still being able to agree to disagree.

Taking the time to understand and care for your body and well-being. Treating strangers just as well as loved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I would say, universally, that respectability is acheived when a person is or is seen to be what his or her target society regards as upstanding and moral.

My next door neighbour is a decent and respectable person. By her own standards. By mine, she is a racist, power-mad, immoral, child-abusing control freak who has no respect for the opinions or lifestyles of anyone other than her own and her ilk.

So it's pretty subjective...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 willowwan

Affable wrote: »

every living thing....

thats my goal =)

And if you are not receiving respect from someone - walk away, knowing you didnt play the disrespect game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ruffledpuff

I think that there is a difference between who deserves respect and who eventually does. Because we all say what qualities we look for in someone who deserves respect, but they don't always get it. Sometimes they just get taken for granted. And also, respect can be gotten from fear, though if this is true respect is a point that can be argued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

O'Morris wrote: »
    Economic self-sufficiency. If you can your make way through life as an adult without being a drain on the resources of others then you are worthy of respect.
    Even if they commit reprehensible acts? Indeed, even if it is immoral acts that make their self-sufficiency possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lovethespots

I have to separate the person and the position they hold first. One can say they respect the president but is it the position or the person holding that position that is being looked at? Once I get over that hurdle, then a person who is knowledgable but not conceited, healthy morally, kind, generous, sincere, and compassionate...to not only humans but the planet as a whole earns my respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 FANTASTIC

O'Morris wrote: »

ye... and bet your a from a well to do area never had a struggle in your life!!
    gas:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Self respect regardless of circumstances or class is the first rule .Without it you cant expect to respect others, or they to respect you ,because you dont understand or have it in the first place . Because of our corrupt society their are very few role models to respect out there .Some people buy it but behind their backs, the people who take their money probably respect them even less than the tramp on the street .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I guess I respect people who have the qualities that I strive to have myself.

I.e. honesty, hard-working, politeness, deceny towards other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

......... And also, respect can be gotten from fear, though if this is true respect is a point that can be argued.

I think you raised a important question i.e. What is the relationship between respect and power.....are their push/pull factors. Does the master respect the slave. We all respect wicked dogs.

Machievelli in the Prince states in "Cruelty vs. mercy
    For a prince who leads his own army, it is imperative for him to observe cruelty because that is the only way he can command his soldiers' absolute respect.

You would often hear stories about people who feel they have to get angry and 'rear up' every now and again or else they get taken for granted and are not respected.
    Even the Christian concept of God traditionally blended Gods infinate goodness with his infinate punishment of hell. We were to suppose to both love and fear God.

We hear of good cop/ bad cop or carrot/stick approaches in relationships.
    Think about marriage and love. Love often fades and is replaced by threats of divorce etc.

Yep, I think we can respect out of fear as well as out of love.

Love and hate are similar emotions. Both involve a passion and a relationship.(Revenge is as sweet as sex??)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement