Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€2,500 fine for diluting vodka

Options
  • 02-10-2008 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

I haven't seen this story mentioned here so I thought I'd give you a heads up,

"A publican has been fined €2,500 for watering down vodka.

Charles Malzard, of Malzard's Public House in Stoneyford, Co Kilkenny, was convicted at the district court and ordered to pay costs and expenses of more than €1,000 for the offence, which occurred on July 30 last year.

The prosecution was taken by the National Consumer Agency (NCA) after tests revealed the level of spirit in the vodka was below what it should have been. The case was sparked by a complaint from a member of the public.

NCA said they are not aware of such behaviour being a significant problem, with the last case taken against a publican for watering down alcohol being in 2004.

Chief executive Ann Fitzgerald said, "I am very pleased. Businesses must recognise that they have obligations under consumer protection legislation.''

Costs amounting to €363 plus expenses of €818 were awarded to the NCA at Kilkenny District Court."

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/83642500-fine-for-diluting-vodka-1487139.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

i get my take away cans there on the way home from work. least they will be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

He was prob getting away with that for years!

Should have been fined more the cheap fooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

supposed to be loaded he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

mydogjack wrote: »
    supposed to be loaded he is.

Now you know how hes loaded.

Selling tap water as vodka!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

seems a very light fine for such a serious crime...

He should not be allowed to run or work in a licenced premises again...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

My understanding is that Charles Malzard also holds a place on the vintners board, I would expect him to quickly step down from this place given his disgraceful behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Delighted for him!!

Advertisement