Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Court for no insurance..

Options
  • 02-10-2008 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

A friend of mine is due in court any time now. He was stopped at a check point last year for insurance he had just bought the car 2 days prior to being stoped and was waiting on his insurance to change over he got a summons for no insurance/Failure to produce. Just wondering has anybody being up in court for this kind of thing if so what happened will he be banned etc. The reason i ask is i work for him (as he has his own small bussiness) we are painters if he looses his linsce that means im out of a job as he needs the car for work.. if anybody has any info please reply nicley and DONT SHOOT THE MESSANGER IM ONLY ASKING...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from Learning to Drive;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Karl_2008

Moved from Learning to Drive;)

sorry am new to this dont really know where to post.
    sorry again

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Karl_2008 wrote: »
    he had just bought the car 2 days prior to being stoped and was waiting on his insurance to change over
    Was he actually uninsured, or had the cert & disc just not arrived yet? Insurance can be changed over instantly by phone, but the paperwork takes a couple of days to arrive.

Also, was the van already registered to him? And did his insurance cover him for driving other vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

sorry am new to this dont really know where to post.
    sorry again

No worries:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If he had changed the insurance over via a phone call to his insurer, this will be throw out of court once he shows the insurance disc and the date he bought the car.

If he hadn't changed the insurance over, I hope they throw the book at him.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Was he actually uninsured, or had the cert & disc just not arrived yet? Insurance can be changed over instantly by phone, but the paperwork takes a couple of days to arrive.

Also, was the van already registered to him? And did his insurance cover him for driving other vehicles?

yes it was registered to him it was a car bran new he just got it form the garage where he traded in a old van im not sure i think the van was only 3rd party insurance but he rang up to change it over the phone it took almost a week for new policy to come out in the post and he forgot to produce it, he has since then changed the insurance again to a cheaper rate and fully comp as it was over a year ago when he was stoped.

yes it was registered to him it was a car bran new he just got it form the garage where he traded in a old van im not sure i think the van was only 3rd party insurance but he rang up to change it over the phone it took almost a week for new policy to come out in the post and he forgot to produce it, he has since then changed the insurance again to a cheaper rate and fully comp as it was over a year ago when he was stoped.
    If he changed it over the phone when he collected the new van then the worst they can charge him with is failure to display a valid ins disc and failure to produce proof of ins. Neither of these is anywhere near as serious as driving without insurance, and they may even be struck out when he provides proof that he was insured.

If he changed it over the phone when he collected the new van then the worst they can charge him with is failure to display a valid ins disc and failure to produce proof of ins. Neither of these is anywhere near as serious as driving without insurance, and they may even be struck out when he provides proof that he was insured.

Thanks alot i will pass this on.. I hope i have a job to go back to next week would hate to be laid off so near to christmas
    Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Thanks alot i will pass this on.. I hope i have a job to go back to next week would hate to be laid off so near to christmas
    Thanks again.

So he had insurance .. but he just didnt have the certificate. So its not so bad.

No probs, hope it all works out for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Tell your friend he must produce his insurance certificate in court not the disc. The disc will only indicate the car is insured, not who is insured on it.

But how can they charge you with this? You can't insure the car until you buy it, are you supposed to leave it in the dealers forecourt until you receive your disc, which can take a week or more?

When I got my current car, Zurich gave me my policy number over the phone and said "If you happen to be stopped by the guards you can quote them this numer". Quinn gave me the same spiel on my previous car.

It's completely unreasonable to expect people to have their insurance disc displayed only 2 days after purchasing a new car.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^Well they mightent even charge him on that. The guards cant take any risk with a case like this, but Im pretty sure once he can prove he only had the car two days and that he was insured he wont be fined anything. Fingers crossed anyway.

eth0_ wrote: »
    But how can they charge you with this? You can't insure the car until you buy it, are you supposed to leave it in the dealers forecourt until you receive your disc, which can take a week or more?
    Either that or collect the disc in person.
    When I got my current car, Zurich gave me my policy number over the phone and said "If you happen to be stopped by the guards you can quote them this numer". Quinn gave me the same spiel on my previous car.
    Most Gardai will accept that.
    It's completely unreasonable to expect people to have their insurance disc displayed only 2 days after purchasing a new car.
    It can be difficult, which is why the Gardai are generally accommodating. At the end of the day, though, it's the law.

Either that or collect the disc in person.

Considering the discs are made in a central/head office, that would be impossible for most people.

The failure to display insurance or tax discs I am sure was only brought into law to ensure people actually display them. Tbh I have never seen a person being summonsed to court for either of these offences. It would be harsh to do so.

The OPs friend was probably only the standard summons for failing to produce insurance and having no insurance. There is a definite offence for failing to produce so it is reasonable to assume the person may not have insurance. It is up to the person to prove in court they did have insurance by producing the certificate to the garda either before the court starts or when their case is called. If everything is ok then the no insurance is struck out but the failing to produce still stands.
    R_H_C_P wrote: »
    ^Well they mightent even charge him on that. The guards cant take any risk with a case like this, but Im pretty sure once he can prove he only had the car two days and that he was insured he wont be fined anything. Fingers crossed anyway.

correct he would not be fined anything if he has insurance on the no insurance summons but he can be fined for failing to produce. usually the fine can be between €50 to €200

Considering the discs are made in a central/head office, that would be impossible for most people.

correct it would be impossible to collect sometimes which is why people are given the chance to produce within the 10 days.

I can't say for every insurance company in Ireland, but AXA and Hibernian will print them out for you on the spot in a local office.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can't say for every insurance company in Ireland, but AXA and Hibernian will print them out for you on the spot in a local office.
    The broker I deal with has printed them up on the spot for a couple of times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

My brother was covered with Hibernian under my dad. On the policy it specifically said that named drivers were covered to drive other cars.

Insurance was renewed at the end of August. 2 weeks later my brother is stopped at a checkpoint driving my dad's car and asked to produce his insurance. No problem he thinks

Goes home, digs out new policy and cover has changed. He was no longer covered to drive other peoples cars.

Luckily we had the 2 policies but had to show the judge how the cover on the policy had changed and we were all unaware.

Very lucky not to be banned from driving for a year. Also lucky he didn't have an accident in those 2 weeks.

Got 5 penalty points though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Vegeta wrote: »
    in post above

I thought that unless you specifically cancel or change your policy, the insurance company can't make any changes, even at renewal time.

Could be well worth checking out and fighting to get the points taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You can always start your policy a few days early and have the disc in hand when you go to collect the car.

eoin_s wrote: »
    You can always start your policy a few days early and have the disc in hand when you go to collect the car.
    You wouldn't have to start the policy early, just informing the ins co would be enough. Assuming (and this is a big assumption) that you had the reg of the car a few days in advance.

Vegeta wrote: »
    My brother was covered with Hibernian under my dad. On the policy it specifically said that named drivers were covered to drive other cars.

Insurance was renewed at the end of August. 2 weeks later my brother is stopped at a checkpoint driving my dad's car and asked to produce his insurance. No problem he thinks

Goes home, digs out new policy and cover has changed. He was no longer covered to drive other peoples cars.

Luckily we had the 2 policies but had to show the judge how the cover on the policy had changed and we were all unaware.

Very lucky not to be banned from driving for a year. Also lucky he didn't have an accident in those 2 weeks.

Got 5 penalty points though

The reason why i had asked this question from the start was because i knew a woman that was nearley in the same boat as my friend the only difference was when she changed her insurance over to a different car the girl on the phone said everything would be ok and her new policy and details would be in the post. heres were it changes, she was paying her insurance in monthly instalments ie : deposit up front and what ever she was paying a month was done trough her direct debits. So she was stoped again at a police check she told this to the gaurds like my firend did that she had just changed over ect ect they gave her 10 days to produce as usual so she got a letter in the post from the insurance ( she was thinking it was her new policy and disc) the letter said we regret to inform you that when we to your bank it came came back as not paid ( Her wages wernt put in on time due to sick leave from work) so we have cancelled your policy. So basicly when she was stoped by the gards on that date her insurance had already being cancelled with out her even knowing.. Anyway when it was brought to court she explained all this to the gaurd that she was totally un aware of the circumstances ect. anyway she got a 1 year ban and a fine of €1500. she has since lost her job because she was a home nurse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

eoin_s wrote: »

So you drive to the garage in your old car which, being registered to you, your policy won't cover you on...

Fey! wrote: »
    So you drive to the garage in your old car which, being registered to you, your policy won't cover you on...

i know what a load of ****e its all just money money money she should have brought the insurance company to court

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

So basicly when she was stoped by the gards on that date her insurance had already being cancelled with out her even knowing.. Anyway when it was brought to court she explained all this to the gaurd that she was totally un aware of the circumstances ect. anyway she got a 1 year ban and a fine of €1500. she has since lost her job because she was a home nurse.

This is evidence if we needed it that the law is blind -- blind stupid. OK, she was uninsured, and if she'd had a blameworthy accident she'd be in big trouble. But she had done everything right and had no way of knowing that she wasn't covered. Is the law so rigid that the judge couldn't exercise discretion, and give a good kick to the insurers for not warning her by telephone? After all, if she did have a blameworth accident and was uninsured, there is a fund to compensate the victim.

ART6 wrote: »
    But she had done everything right and had no way of knowing that she wasn't covered.
    ?? What about paying for her insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You wouldn't have to start the policy early, just informing the ins co would be enough. Assuming (and this is a big assumption) that you had the reg of the car a few days in advance.
    Fey! wrote: »

Sorry - I was just talking about new policies.

I guess it depends on the exact wording of the legislation if you are carrying an invalid insurance disc until you get your updated one. While it may not be something you are done for, it's still a kind of catch 22 situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

?? What about paying for her insurance?

Unless I misread the post, she didn't know she hadn't.

Advertisement