Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English 'single text'

Options
  • 02-10-2008 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Hi there

posting this on behalf of the little brother!!

He is doing the leaving certificate ordinary level course, he's in 6th year, and will be sitting the exam this may.

He has been given a single text to read, called Purple Hibiscus.

His teacher doesnt seem all that helpful, and is not giving any notes on the book just yet, they are just reading it in class at the moment. Now I have been able to locate some notes for him online, but Im wondering if anyone would be able to tell me where I could get some others.

What Im wondering is if anyone has been told the names of books relating to this novel?

Is anyone else studying this novel for next years exam?

There is nothing about it in the past papers, so does anyone know where he could get some sample leaving cert style questions to practice with?

Any help appreciated,

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'm studying it, first off can you post up the links to the notes.

Not really sure what you're asking/looking for, afaik it's only on the Leaving Course since this year, hence the lack of notes and questions and stuff.

The way my teacher does it is the same, we read the book and then we'll study it, I've got 2 papers of character studies of you wnat them I can scan them for you.

What else you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

peanuthead wrote: »
    Hi there

posting this on behalf of the little brother!!

He is doing the leaving certificate ordinary level course, he's in 6th year, and will be sitting the exam this may.

He has been given a single text to read, called Purple Hibiscus.

His teacher doesnt seem all that helpful, and is not giving any notes on the book just yet, they are just reading it in class at the moment. Now I have been able to locate some notes for him online, but Im wondering if anyone would be able to tell me where I could get some others.

What Im wondering is if anyone has been told the names of books relating to this novel?

Is anyone else studying this novel for next years exam?

There is nothing about it in the past papers, so does anyone know where he could get some sample leaving cert style questions to practice with?

Any help appreciated,

thanks.

I'm failing to see the problem.:confused: Some teachers read the book and then give notes and others give notes while reading the book. Same result.

At ordinary level, the first and most important thing is to know the plot.

This is the first year of that particular text. If he's looking for sample questions, go back over the past questions on other single texts - the type of questions remain the same e.g. describe a particular moment, discuss a character, write an intervention (diary, letter).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

deemark wrote: »
    I'm failing to see the problem.:confused: Some teachers read the book and then give notes and others give notes while reading the book. Same result.

At ordinary level, the first and most important thing is to know the plot.

This is the first year of that particular text. If he's looking for sample questions, go back over the past questions on other single texts - the type of questions remain the same e.g. describe a particular moment, discuss a character, write an intervention (diary, letter).

Thanks for advice on sample questions.

Sorry, typed it up in a hurry, on lunch break. From what he is telling me, the teacher seems like an ass in general, but with regard to the text, he is just reading it with them, not explaining anything about the background to the novel, explaining some of the vocab in it, which would relate to Nigerian customs etc... Im reading it at the moment myself, and its not your average LC novel, they wouldnt have studied anything like this before. And okay fair enough some people may be ok with it, but my brother and the other guys in his year are having real problems with the text. They are half way through it and although they know whats going on, they dont have a real clear picture of the novel. Customs, meals, festivals etc... are being mentioned over and over again, and the teacher is failing to explain any of this to them, even after being asked!!! I just think thats wrong.
    I'm studying it, first off can you post up the links to the notes.

Not really sure what you're asking/looking for, afaik it's only on the Leaving Course since this year, hence the lack of notes and questions and stuff.

The way my teacher does it is the same, we read the book and then we'll study it, I've got 2 papers of character studies of you wnat them I can scan them for you.

What else you looking for?

Yeah sure the links are:

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781400076949&view=rg

http://www.curledup.com/hibiscus.htm

http://www.dublinquarterly.com/02/bk_rev.html

Yeah if you could send them to me that would be fab. Just also if you had been given any sample exam-style questions by your teacher they would help him out too. Ill PM you my email address, and I can print them out for him in work.

Advertisement