Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus driver injured by stone throwing 11 year old

Options
  • 02-10-2008 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

Bus driver hailed a hero after attack

By Eoin English
    A BUS driver has been hailed a hero after bringing a bus to a safe halt after a terrifying stone attack.

The driver suffered severe injuries after a stone, thrown at his vehicle as he drove through the Mayfield suburb of Cork city, came through an open window and struck him in the face.

There were several passengers on board the bus at the time. Despite his injuries, the driver of the No 8 bus managed to bring his vehicle to a stop. Several passengers rushed to his aid as blood flowed from his face.

The driver of a following bus also came to his assistance before gardaí and emergency services arrived. The injured driver was taken to hospital where he received several stitches to his facial wounds. He has been recovering at home since the incident in the Lotabeg area of Mayfield on Saturday afternoon. Bus Éireann area manager Joe Fitzgerald praised the driver for his skill in maintaining control of the bus. “He was tremendous. I would like to praise him for the skill and commitment he showed on the day to make sure no-one on the bus was injured,” Mr Fitzgerald said.

As a result, Bus Éireann has curtailed the No 8 service to the city’s northside. The bus is now travelling as far as Mayfield Garda Station and is avoiding its terminus in Lotabeg. Mr Fitzgerald said he hopes the full No 8 service will resume in the coming days.

It is understood gardaí are aware of the identity of the person responsible for the stone throwing, who could be as young as 11.

Source: Irish Examiner

Bus services to Mayfield have now been curtailed which means the 99% of decent, law abiding people in the area have to suffer because of the actions of one degenerate.

However, I don't blame Bus Eireann drivers for pulling back services in the area.

Stone throwing has been a regular enough occurrence on certain bus routes in the city. What's most shocking is the age of those usually involved (in this case only 11). Where's the fun in potentially causing serios injury and even death to someone going about their daily job?

What can be done? I'd be seriously worried about the future of a society where children threaten the safety of adults.

Thoughts?

Possible solutions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Has the number 8 replaced the number 3 as corks most dangerous route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Has the number 8 replaced the number 3 as corks most dangerous route.

It's southbound route to Bishopstown is fairly safe I'd imagine.

Because that little scumbag is so young, he'll of course get off with a slap on the wrist. What the hell is wrong with these kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Do they know who threw the stone then?

Kazbah wrote: »
    Do they know who threw the stone then?
    It is understood gardaí are aware of the identity of the person responsible for the stone throwing, who could be as young as 11.

Yep.
    Some little scumbag.
    The upside of Bus Eireann suspending the service to Lotabeg is all his neighbours will take it out on him/her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

The only people who suffer are the elderly people (like my nan) living up in Lotabeg who are now unable to get to the bus because of some waste of air.

• Advertisement

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    The only people who suffer are the elderly people (like my nan) living up in Lotabeg who are now unable to get to the bus because of some waste of air.

I'd imagine the bus driver suffered a little too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

jimbo78 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the bus driver suffered a little too

Yes, because that's what I meant:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

once again the decent folk living in the affected areas are going to suffer. These little scumbags [and their equally scummy parents] should be made pay for the damage, and if they go on with some pathetic poor mouth then take the money from their welfare payments (yes, it's an assumption I'm going to make here :rolleyes:).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Rebeller wrote: »
    What can be done?

Legalise abortions up to the 39th trimester....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I just have to say, 99% of mayfield are not Decent law abiding people. It is more in the Region of 95% but I understand the sentiment.

Kids should be slapped when they are young, I was and I turned out perfectly right with a good sense of what is right and wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I just have to say, 99% of mayfield are not Decent law abiding people. It is more in the Region of 95% but I understand the sentiment.

Kids should be slapped when they are young, I was and I turned out perfectly right with a good sense of what is right and wrong.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I guess that kid probably had been slapped a good few times in his life. I can't imagine he'd come from the kind of family holding back on the physical attacks and rather trying to talk to the kid and tackle issues through communication...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm going out on a limb here, but I guess that kid probably had been slapped a good few times in his life. I can't imagine he'd come from the kind of family holding back on the physical attacks and rather trying to talk to the kid and tackle issues through communication...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Any you,minidazzler, know everyone who lives in Mayfield to make that kind of judgement???
    Anyway I was told the kid that threw the stone was Polish...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Cadyboo wrote: »
    Any you,minidazzler, know everyone who lives in Mayfield to make that kind of judgement???
    Anyway I was told the kid that threw the stone was Polish...

<snip> keep the abuse to a minimum please - castie

Aside from which, generalisations suck, but at the same time let's face facts and accept that Mayfield, Blackpool, Togher and probably a few other places all have enough of a contingent of trouble-makers in their populations to have earned their reputations as being dodgy areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

I often think to myself should we bring back public lashings and the like. A little runt like that should be made stand outside bishop lucey park on a saturday evening and people passing can batter him with rotten fruit and veg from the market. He would think twice before trying to kill people again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Wow some people here seem to have read a lot more than is revealed in the article.

Advertisement