Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will ECB Interest rates come down

Options
  • 02-10-2008 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Anyone got any thoughts on this. As mentioned in a previous thread i am just about to renew my mortgage and wondered whether to go fixed , variable or tracker.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aoraki

That would be the 64 million dollar question alright. There's been an unprecedented amount of turmoil recently, who's knows what's gonna happen tomorrow, let alone in a few weeks or a few months time.

And I wouldn't go by what the papers are saying either, they've got it wrong on the last few occasions. (Probably wishful thinking on their behalf).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

No one can say for sure - but the latest forecasts I have seen suggest that a drop is more likely than a rise. It stayed the same today.
    Avoid standard variable - they can put those up whenever they want.
    A tracker would be my personal option - but a fixed rate can suit some people who like to know that outgoings will be the same for a couple of years.
    AIB, NIB and Halifax have some of the lowest trackers - but the rate you get depends on the value of the property and the size of the loan

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

There seems to be consensus amongst commentators that Trichets language today was suggestive of a rate cut before years out....although inflation is still way over what the ECB would like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Well somethings brewing alright. Should be interesting to see what there next move is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Seems that way. There's talk of one in December and a further one next year. I think we all deserve break!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

They may well cut but will the banks pass it on?

The Euribor is still sky high!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

If the indo is to be belived then the ecb rate will be cut....on the other hand though the banks are going to screw the customers to the wall by introducing new charges on everything from current account charges to loan interest rates.

Basically they will be handed a load of taxpayers money to cover their arse and we will pay double on charges. Somebody in the office made a good point today that if the alledged rescue package was handed out to the people with mortgages there is enough to cover all irish mortgages outstanding at the minute....sucks to be us!

gurramok wrote: »
    They may well cut but will the banks pass it on?

The Euribor is still sky high!

If people are on an ecb tracker they have to pass on any drop in rates.
    They may not reduce standard variable rates though .

Yes. It won't help new customers though as banks are losing money on trackers and will do everything to discourage take up of them for newbies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

OP - if you can select tracker do, even if it appears to be at a slight premium to variable. Read small print about the banks options to alter basis of rate depending on adverse or extraordinary market situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

daveirl wrote: »

just watching Bloomberg there and one banker reackons on a 200 point drop within 6 months due to the reactive nature of the ECB in dealing with the credit crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 grungefreak1

Hi,

I am in the same boat as others. My handy little 3yr fixed rate is is over in 2 weeks. I was at 3.55% and now they are offering 5.99% tracker (not to ever go over 1.68% above ECB int. rates). They are also offering the same rate of 5.99% on a 5,7 or 10 yr fixed. It means my mortgage rises about 100 euro a month. Not too bad and I am thinking of fixing it to buy a bit of peace of mind. I wouldn't be in trouble at 6% but I would be kicking myself if they came down and stayed down!

In light of the above situation, can anybody please help me stop tormenting myself over this decision? Any constructive views would be most welcome.

Thnks

GF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Hi,

I am in the same boat as others. My handy little 3yr fixed rate is is over in 2 weeks. I was at 3.55% and now they are offering 5.99% tracker (not to ever go over 1.68% above ECB int. rates). They are also offering the same rate of 5.99% on a 5,7 or 10 yr fixed. It means my mortgage rises about 100 euro a month. Not too bad and I am thinking of fixing it to buy a bit of peace of mind. I wouldn't be in trouble at 6% but I would be kicking myself if they came down and stayed down!

In light of the above situation, can anybody please help me stop tormenting myself over this decision? Any constructive views would be most welcome.

Thnks

GF
    As an aside,
    You seem to have quite a low mortgage (less than 100k), based on the repayments only going up 100 euro despite a 2.5% increase.
    You should be able to get a better rate than the one offered.

dobsdave wrote: »
    As an aside,
    You seem to have quite a low mortgage (less than 100k), based on the repayments only going up 100 euro despite a 2.5% increase.
    You should be able to get a better rate than the one offered.

Thanks. Yes my mortgage is around the 100k, I suppose nowadays that would be considered low.

I asked the guy on the mortgage team at my bank for a lower rate and he said they can't do it. Do you reckon we can haggle with banks over this? I mean it's a tracker and they have set rates for that.

Any advice or thoughts much appreciated. Would I be mad fixing it at 6% for 5 years honestly?

gf

It sounds like you also have low ltv which means you can haggle alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Along with a few others..

US Fed cuts by 50bps
    Bank of England cuts by 50bps
    ECB cuts by 50bps
    Bank of Canada cuts by 50bps

Good news for mortgage holders.

Along with a few others..
    Brings it down to 3.75%.
    US Fed cuts by 50bps
    Bank of England cuts by 50bps
    ECB cuts by 50bps
    Bank of Canada cuts by 50bps

Good news for mortgage holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭daheff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Happy days. Thats all i say...happy days... Mortgage due for renewal on the 18th and stil hadn't decided which way to go. Am i right in saying that if i go tracker that the rate will come down immediately but if i go variable it could take ages to be passed on.

• Advertisement

Well Variable is the banks own rate so they can change it whenever they want. Tracker changes in line with ECB.

Anyone got any thoughts on this. As mentioned in a previous thread i am just about to renew my mortgage and wondered whether to go fixed , variable or tracker.

ECB rates are down today to 3.76% (0.5% cut)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

gurramok wrote: »
    It sounds like you also have low ltv which means you can haggle alot.

when you say haggle, do you mean I can for example ask for a lower fixed rate or something? I have been offered a tracker also but I presume you can't haggle about the rate on a tracker? i.e. they won't set interest rates more than 1.68% above ECB rates. Or can I haggle on the tracker rate issue too?

I know people will say that you can haggle about anything but realistically can you?

GF

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Tell the Bank Manager to get on the broker center and get you the rate you want or your transfering to another bank (whichever has the best rate you can get). They may ask if you have an offer letter from that bank and the terms of it but probably don't have to see it as its a private document.

I'm currently paying .75% above ECB based on that type of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Can we be assured that the banks will pass this rate reduction on to us poor mortgage payers??

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Only if your on a Tracker. That said some of the banks have already said they are passing it on the varialbe rate holders (Halifax & AIB so far I think)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Gave my mortgage provider, Irish Nationwide, a ring to see if there's any word on passing it on as I'm on a variable rate, and he said that they have been told by management that the full .5% will be passed on. So i'll wait until I get the letter in the post, but sounds good so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

when you say haggle, do you mean I can for example ask for a lower fixed rate or something? I have been offered a tracker also but I presume you can't haggle about the rate on a tracker? i.e. they won't set interest rates more than 1.68% above ECB rates. Or can I haggle on the tracker rate issue too?

I know people will say that you can haggle about anything but realistically can you?

GF

Anything is negotiable.
    Call a few mortgage lenders and see what they will offer you.
    Then get back to your current one and tell them you are considering changing, and what can they offer you.
    At 100k mortgage, I'm guessing your house/apt is worth at least 200k?
    which gives you an ltv of 50%, a very good bargaining chip.
    A tracker of 1.68 above the ECB is not great in anyones book.

Advertisement