Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PES2009 demo

• 02-10-2008 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

Ok so what does everyone think of it...iv only bin on it a few minutes and i think its crap...I hate the main menu page as its too crowded and all over the place..I think the gameplay is going more towards fifa gameplay and its ruining the game.Fifas gameplay always felt too slow and donkey like and i think pro evo has now gone that way as well.You will notice this when players pass the ball to a player and the player he passed to will have a slow and odd touch..Does anyone else agree with me or am i on my own in this regard...Ill comment on it more later when i have a better chance to play it but im interested to see what other people think and if they prefer this to fifa or vice versa.I doubt im gonna get either as i still cant stand fifas gameplay and now pro evos gameplay is putting me off as well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

if your only playing it a few minutes then dont make up your mind so quick. last years was stupidly fast so the fact that you say its too slow is a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭redbhoy1888

its a new PES and the first few plays are never as good as what you are used to BUT I have played about 5 games so far and its a thumbs up here.just feel;s right again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,251 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have read people talking about the PS3 version and the 360 version of the demo. The numbe rof people disappointed with it seems to be higher for the 360 version - maybe there is a difference in the quality of the two demo's. Dunno. I'll be downloading the PS3 version anyway, could never get used to the 360 pad with PES games, felt wrong!

Might download the 360 version over the weekend or tomorrow night and give it a bash, once I have played the PS3 version, and see for myself if there is a difference between the two.

EDIT: Also, there is a PES forum on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

It's pure dirt. It's basically just last years game with a minor few touches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Lamposts wrote: »
    It's pure dirt. It's basically just last years game with a minor few touches.

I've played the fifa 09 demo and, to be honest, i think the exact same thing could be said about that:rolleyes: Exept, fifa 08 wasnt dirt, of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I've played the fifa 09 demo and, to be honest, i think the exact same thing could be said about that:rolleyes: Exept, fifa 08 wasnt dirt, of course

Hardly mate, fifa has made over 250 improvements to the game. FIFA 09 will also include a '10 vs. 10' Be a Pro online game and let's not forget the Adidas live season. You can tell you're playing a different game from last years with fifa :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

yea but in fairness the shooting is crap in fifa. I have been playing it since tuesday and the ball is like kicking a baloon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Been playing this demo for a while now, dont think much of it. The player movement is horrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

I hate the player movement as well...i think players first touch is really bad as well and as i said,turning more and more into fifa which is the total opposite of where it should be going.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

its a new PES and the first few plays are never as good as what you are used to BUT I have played about 5 games so far and its a thumbs up here.just feel's right again

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Downloading this on my 360 screwed up XBL for me. It happened to others as seen here http://forums.xbox.com/23049571/ShowPost.aspx

Anyways, its an ok game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I don't have xbox live is there any other way to get it for the xbox? I have a 'special' xbox if that helps!

Thanks

Whats up with the noise made when you pass the ball. Sounds like a gun goin off! Im not a pro fifa or pro pes guy I just buy what game I think is best each year and after playin the 2 demos Ill defianetly be picking Fifa this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Ah balls didn't realise the demo was up. Not liking the comments though, had high hopes for this, but it seems to be going backwards! I'll just wait till i play it myself and make up my mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Yeah I didnt like the sound of the ball being kicked either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Dont like it one bit, but I had that problem downloading the demo too.
    Itll be FIFA again this year for me. Looks and plays so good.

Ok iv finally been able to have a good go of it now and i must admit, im beginning to like it. I must admit the graphics are fairly good however i think free taking look a bit dark and worse but not a big deal tbh.The music is a bit odd and in my opinion doesnt suit this game..they used to go for some techno beaty type music which i thought went well with this type of game but now they have gone for some type of funky rock or something which doesnt suit soccer games at all. I agree with another op that the ball makes a weird noise,i think there is too much base in it and i hope they change or at least patch it when it is released.Id say i will get it though as it has improved a lot since the last one and gameplay is different to say the least, but for the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,157 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I had PES 2008, sold it and got Fifa because it was doing my head in. Rubbish online mode and inability to sign anybody in Master League no matter how much money I had or trophies I'd won.

Played the demo there. I might get it. I miss the PES gameplay. I didn't think it was awful but I can see why people think Fifa is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I had PES 2008, and inability to sign anybody in Master League no matter how much money I had or trophies I'd won.

You mustn't have tried very hard. In my current 08 ML team I have Rooney, Torres, Teves, Messi, C. Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Aguero, Febregas, Cannevaro, Lehmann amongst others. What did you give it? A week? I'm not boasting here, but it seems like you didn't try. Also, sometimes throwing vast amounts of money at them doesn't work. In saying that, I've never, ever been able to sign Kaka.

Liked the demo. Sort of. My initial review on the PES forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I am going to wait till we see what the online is like in PES I went for fifa last year but now think the Demo of Fifa was too fast and a bit like PES of last year.(i know someone said you can slow it down but thats no good online) I liked the PES 09 Demo more than fifa. But I am not pushed towards the extras fifa has to offer as I will more than likley only play online anyway.
    SO for me is a waiting game untill I know the live issues are sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

After reading the initial reviews here yesterday afternoon, I wasn't overly pushed to get home and download the demo (and I've been buying PES forever.)
    When finally downloaded, felt totally disappointed and let down with the first game played.
    I saw the main issues (amongst other) I saw with it were:
    1. No more 180 quick degree turns when your player gets the ball.
    2. Game was a lot slower than 08.
    3. The shot register has changed again i.e. how much power is needed to keep the ball under the bar.

Then I played it a few more times......and do you know what, the above aren't issues.
    1. The quick 180 turnaround was a pure pain when playing 1v1 in 08. You were almost always left for dead with your defenders too far away to make a tackle before a shot was taken when this occurred. 09 has refined this so that it takes skill to get around a player now rather than a quick movement of the thumbstick.

2. The slow down has taken a lot of the arcady feel off the game where you are pinging balls between the players at ease. I found myself actually having time to look at the players all around and choosing where the best option would be.

3. This is just a pet annoyance of mine, but I say the same every time a new iteration of the game comes out. They changed the settings of the power guage again. The same power as 08 for a shot seems to balloon the ball over the bar.

Some of the improvments were:
    -- The goalies still parry the ball a lot instead of catching it, but more often than not, its not going to be parried 3 yards directly in front of them. They actually make an effort to push the ball out of the way of the attacker.
    -- You can lace the ball from a good distance and there's a chance of it actually going towards the goal in 09. In one chance last night, after the ball was cleared low from a corner, I had the midfielder run onto it from all of 30 yards and he unleashed the fury towards the top corner, all for the keeper to dive full stretch and punch the ball out for a corner.

Some of the disimprovments were:
    -- The menu. Good God, that should come with an epilepsy warning all of its own.
    -- The music. Good God, that should come with an hearing warning all of its own.
    -- In game. They better have an option to turn off the manual passing on the right thumbstick. I found myself tipping by habit, and losing control a good few times. If they expect you to play previous iterations of the game as well as this one, that will have to be rectified.

I'm still not convinced about buying the full game, we'll only know if its really any good that when its released and the extra features are played in depth and (hopefully) the online is perfected (thats going to be the showstopper).
    I haven't been a fan of Fifa since World Cup 98 (Fifa 99 was where they started to go downhill :D), but after playing both demos, there looks to be very little between the games this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CJackson

The music is a bit odd and in my opinion doesnt suit this game..they used to go for some techno beaty type music which i thought went well with this type of game but now they have gone for some type of funky rock or something which doesnt suit soccer games at all.
    -- The music. Good God, that should come with an hearing warning all of its own.

Doesnt the new edit mode include the ability to upload your own tracks, chants,etc ???

For those who missed it before, all PES updates are available thru the rss feed on winningelevenblog :cool:

i think you can do skills still..you just have to click rb or lb or one of those buttons 'i think'..i did a few nice skills last night while flicking around with the control...Btw out of interest anyone that plays pes on the xbox 360,do you change the controls so that rt is run and lb is change player..if so is their anyway to save it because every time we start up the console we have to go into button config and change it.Id say the the teams in the demo are all the official teams and i doubt any other team have official names etc..can anyone clarify?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭emurphy

Just downloaded pes 09 and I have to say I'm very dissapointed it feels like I'm playing a bad pinball game!! What the **** are they playin at. Game over. I never thought I'd say it but Fifa is by far and away better than this muck.

emurphy wrote: »
    Just downloaded pes 09 and I have to say I'm very dissapointed it feels like I'm playing a bad pinball game!! What the **** are they playin at. Game over. I never thought I'd say it but Fifa is by far and away better than this muck.

:confused: its a demo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

CJackson wrote: »
    :confused: its a demo

What's your point man?

You can still form an opinion whether you like it or not from a demo, or else why bother releasing one in the first place.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

its a demo of probably the final version - this is the worst pes i've ever played. a shame really, i dont like buying EA games out of principal but FIFA this year is a fair bit ahead in all departments.

What's your point man?

You can still form an opinion whether you like it or not from a demo, or else why bother releasing one in the first place.......

But is just a sample/teaser/taster of the finished product. all these folk getting there kn!ckers in a twist over whats essentially advertising.

Im not pro-PES and anti-FIFA or anything, i just cant get my head around all this "Game over", "what the f**k have they done", "Seabass is a ****" malarkey.

Would ya judge a movie from the trailer:confused:, a full fryup from the little sausie samples in SuperQuinn, your next car from a brochure or :rolleyes: potential wife from her Facebook pics :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

CJackson wrote: »
    But is just a sample/teaser/taster of the finished product. all these folk getting there kn!ckers in a twist over whats essentially advertising.

Im not pro-PES and anti-FIFA or anything, i just cant get my head around all this "Game over", "what the f**k have they done", "Seabass is a ****" malarkey.

Would ya judge a movie from the trailer:confused:, a full fryup from the little sausie samples in SuperQuinn, your next car from a brochure or :rolleyes: potential wife from her Facebook pics :eek:

Ok, fair point, but the demo gives you a chance to play an actual game of football, which, lets face it, is 95% of what the game is all about. If that doesn't impress people then why would the full game be any different? Movie trailers are different in that they can paint a picture that is sometimes wholly inaccurate.

I played the FIFA demo, i thought it was great.

I played the PES demo, i was hugely disappointed by what i saw. As a result, i bought FIFA and i shan't be buying PES.

• Advertisement

I dont understand why people hate pes so much and claim that fifa has changed a load over the years...Fifas gameplay has remained the same since fifa 2003 and hasnt changed much over the years..yea there might be a few tweaks here and there and graphically better but beside that it hasnt changed much...I know the next person to comment is gonna say 'it has 250 improvements' but that complete bull!!..i played this years demo and last year demo and theres no difference..If it didnt have a different name, no one would know any better so stop saying its much better..Pro evo however does change over the years for better or worse...I quite like this years game and i dont understand why people are bitching over how the game has gone to ***** over the year when it hasnt changed that much,only a tiny bit like...The one thing i dont like is that they change the shooting mechanics in every year but besides that gameplay is more realistic and better in comparison to fifa.

Advertisement