Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room for a horse??

Options
  • 02-10-2008 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hey all,

Im thinking of buying a horse but I just wanted to know i have enough space. I currently have 1 and half acres but im planning on building a sand arena to exercise in and i have stables so the horse would be kept in most of the year, Do you think this is enough room or should i consider livery?

Also does anyone know who Builds Sand Arena's in Galway, Also whats the cheapest way to build one which materials are the bestand cheapest??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Don't know about companies that build it but i would suggest that you should have a place to turn your horse out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Eadaoin_

togster wrote: »
    Don't know about companies that build it but i would suggest that you should have a place to turn your horse out.

well im hoping that i will have nearly an Acre left for a paddock, I would think that is a big enough paddock and i will probaly rent grazing for the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭spooner_src

That should be fine. I only have about that much land. Maybe even a little less and we just build an arena and have two stables and I still have a padock left. Also you can turn the horses out in the arena during the wet days and hang hay nets at the fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Eadaoin_

That should be fine. I only have about that much land. Maybe even a little less and we just build an arena and have two stables and I still have a padock left. Also you can turn the horses out in the arena during the wet days and hang hay nets at the fence.

hey thanks spooner, also can i ask who built your arena and how much did it cost??

I would ideally like a minimum of 1.5acres for a horse.

Land gets churned up and it would be better if the horse was 'rotated' through different quadrants of the land.

However, if you are careful, 1 acre should do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

1 acre is quite small..how much will you be relying on it for regular turnout in the summer? If its only for 1 hour or so it should be ok, but you will need to manage it appropriately - for such a small area, you will need to be gathering up the droppings daily from the paddock, so as to both manage the parasite level and grass itself. You'll also need to consider that in the summer it'll still need rest periods to allow the grass to grow sufficiently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭spooner_src

A local guy in Kildare and the arena was just under 15.000 Euro (21m x 40m).

Advertisement