Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of Travelling in Argentina/Thailand?

• 02-10-2008 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

How much per day would you need per day in the two places mentioned above? Would it be possible to budget €40 per day and still travel/eat/sleep relatively comfortable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

jimmypitt wrote: »
    How much per day would you need per day in the two places mentioned above? Would it be possible to budget €40 per day and still travel/eat/sleep relatively comfortable?
    It would be possible to travel/eat/sleep on e40 a day in Thailand anyway but it all depends on what sort level of comfort you are looking for and how much you will want to spend on everything else.

Are you travelling alone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

S.M.B. wrote: »
    It would be possible to travel/eat/sleep on e40 a day in Thailand anyway but it all depends on what sort level of comfort you are looking for and how much you will want to spend on everything else.

Are you travelling alone?

Yeah i would be travelling alone (provided i get the balls to actually book this trip, to scared to go alone :o). Just trying to get an idea of the cash i would need. While i don't need to stay in a 5 star hotel i would not really class myself as a real budget traveller so to speak. Like i ain't going to starve myself or just get buy a roll and a bottle of water for the day shall we say and then a liquid dinner. I have heard people say Thailand/Argentina is as cheap as chips! but i just wonder are these the type of people that just spend nothing and eat nothing. I was recently in Barcelona and some people were budgeting €40 a day! This blew my mind! When i was interailing i spent on average €80 a day. I could not see how you could do it cheaper.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Then I'd say Argentina would be more then. A bed in a dorm in BA is about $10, dinner would be more. If you're getting buses around the place they could be 50 or even 70 Euro. The further south you go the more expensive it gets in Argentina. Also, if you go in January it's expensive.
    Thailand on €40/day would be one sweet holiday! You'd use that if you were into scuba diving and taking organised tours every day. For the regular things it's fine. That said I never stayed anywhere really nice there, just regular hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭cluelessx2

2 of us travelled in Arg for approx $100 a day. Average hostel room (private with ensuite) cost €20, buses are expensive, as previously stated, but you spend 20 hours on one that costs that amount of money, and it's not like you'd take more than 1/2 a week depending on the pace that you travel at. Generally I found eating out in BsAs quite reasonable, and cheaper in the rest of the country, except around El Calafate which is tourist rip-off. Well worth visiting to sell the Moreno Glacier though!

dory wrote: »
    Then I'd say Argentina would be more then. A bed in a dorm in BA is about $10, dinner would be more. If you're getting buses around the place they could be 50 or even 70 Euro. The further south you go the more expensive it gets in Argentina. Also, if you go in January it's expensive.
    Thailand on €40/day would be one sweet holiday! You'd use that if you were into scuba diving and taking organised tours every day. For the regular things it's fine. That said I never stayed anywhere really nice there, just regular hotels.

Yeah that is exactly the type of travelling i would be up for in Thailand - organised tours, scuba diving and regular hotels.

I am bit suprised by Argentina - you would need €60/€70 per day really i suppose which is about the same as Western Europe. Is this the same all over South America? Or is that too general a question?

• Advertisement

cluelessx2 wrote: »
    2 of us travelled in Arg for approx $100 a day. Average hostel room (private with ensuite) cost €20, buses are expensive, as previously stated, but you spend 20 hours on one that costs that amount of money, and it's not like you'd take more than 1/2 a week depending on the pace that you travel at. Generally I found eating out in BsAs quite reasonable, and cheaper in the rest of the country, except around El Calafate which is tourist rip-off. Well worth visiting to sell the Moreno Glacier though!

Cheers - that gives me a realistic idea of how much it would cost so i would need to budget €70 per day for definite it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭cluelessx2

Argentina is one of the more expensive South American countries. Brazil is actually slightly more, as is Chile, but Bolivia is dirt cheap. €70 per day is a very respectable amount, and most days you'll prob spend less than this.

cluelessx2 wrote: »
    Argentina is one of the more expensive South American countries. Brazil is actually slightly more, as is Chile, but Bolivia is dirt cheap. €70 per day is a very respectable amount, and most days you'll prob spend less than this.

Nice one - must just get the balls to book the trip now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

jimmypitt wrote: »
    Yeah that is exactly the type of travelling i would be up for in Thailand - organised tours, scuba diving and regular hotels.

I am bit suprised by Argentina - you would need €60/€70 per day really i suppose which is about the same as Western Europe. Is this the same all over South America? Or is that too general a question?

I really don't think you need to budget for 60/70 a week in Argentina.

That's 420 to 490 a week. It's not that expensive. I'd say budget for around 40 a day. 50 max.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Ya, I don't really know about budgeting, 60 or 70 a day seems a bit crazy. It depends as well how long you'll be there for. IF you're there 2 weeks and trying to do the most you can it'll be a lot per day, if you're there a month and only going to be doing expensive things every few days then it'll be less. I spent €1600 on a month in Argentina, that was sleeping in dorms, but spending a lot on drink/dinner/shopping as it was over Christmas/ New year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

never been to argentina. thailand can be done for less than 40 a day easily though, and i mean easily! i was travelling on a budget, but for 20 to 25ish a day you can get accom(fan, cold water), 3 meals and get drunk! if you wanna stay in nicer accom, do tours etc. factor in more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Some people exaggerate about places that are "dirt cheap". Also you may find that you get careless and splash out on things if they cost a fraction of what they cost at home, and end up blowing a lot of money.

I've never been to either place so can't advise on a budget.

Let me give you a damn fine tip though. Bring a lunch box with you. Make your lunches in the morning and eat them on park benches etc while you're out and about. Especially if you're on your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Its quite hard to answer questions like this because everyone will want to spend their money differently.

In terms of travelling around Thailand, it's a lot more expensive to travel on your own because a single room will cost nearly just as much as a twin/double.

When it comes to food it all depends on what you want to eat and where you want to eat. Eating in a traditional pub is really expensive, eating in your standard touristy restaurant is quite reasonable while eating in thai style stalls/food courts is really cheap.

Same goes with travelling and day trips. It's very tempting to buy an all inclusive ticket to get you from A to B or to go on a day trip but this can be done a lot cheaper if you use as much public transport as possible. Some people don't mind paying more for the convenience off an all-in package.

You could easily spend anything between 10 euro and 60 euro a day imo.

40e seems like an ok budget to work with.

Advertisement