Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Blocking someone in

Options
  • 02-10-2008 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

Hey lads

Just wondering if this has happened anyone on here and what solution they came to.

My sister parks her car in Dublin outside her house on the road. As do the other residents in the area.

Recently, people who either live or work nearby have been parking along the road to. No problem there.

But for the last week some ignorant drivers (not local residents) have been parking so close to her that they have blocked her in. She actually cannot get her car out for work. It is madness really.

When she came back from work yesterday at lunch time two jeeps had blocked her in again. No sign of the drivers.

Any solutions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

She could park on the street where people are usually blocking her in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

She does park on the street outside her house. They block her in there.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Call local gardai and advise that cars are outside your house and you cannot exit. Those drivers will get a €40 fine for dangerous parking if they are blocking a right of way.

Just reread and it seems that they are parking too close to the front / rear of her car for her to get out comfortably. Not sure on that, above may still apply.

So they double park or they park too close to her so she can't manouvre her car out?

They park SO close to her that she cant get her car manouvre. Bumper to Bumper stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

put out a gas cylinder or similar behind the car. gives you extra room

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

dedon wrote: »
    They park SO close to her that she cant get her car manouvre. Bumper to Bumper stuff

If she parks a bit back for the car in front. That way if someone behind hers parks up the back of the car she can still get out.

Or else a game of bumpers:pac:

Vain wrote: »
    If she parks a bit back for the car in front. That way if someone behind hers parks up the back of the car she can still get out.

Or else a game of bumpers:pac:

Hard to do when the cars block her from both sides when they arrive for work at 7.30

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

If they keep mysteriously getting flat tyres from parking there maybe they'll stop??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've seen people get traffic cones. When she parks, she takes it out of her boot or hallway and puts it about 4 feet behind her car. When other drivers arrive, they won't move the cone. So when she wants to get out, she just removes the cone and drives away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

MarkR wrote: »
    Call local gardai and advise that cars are outside your house and you cannot exit. Those drivers will get a €40 fine for dangerous parking if they are blocking a right of way.

Just reread and it seems that they are parking too close to the front / rear of her car for her to get out comfortably. Not sure on that, above may still apply.

+1 exactly what I was gonna say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Gypo

Buy a Smart, I'd like to see them block that in! :D

car_park_wideweb__430x240.jpg

seamus wrote: »
    I've seen people get traffic cones. When she parks, she takes it out of her boot or hallway and puts it about 4 feet behind her car. When other drivers arrive, they won't move the cone. So when she wants to get out, she just removes the cone and drives away.

Ya spot on. Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Good idea about the cones, just please take them away when you move the car unlike some clowns on St Bridgets Terrace here in Galway City :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

16436746.parkingtooclose.jpg
    ticket1.jpg
    http://www.revengeisyellow.com/jokeparkingtickets/parkingtoclose.htm

Gypo wrote: »
    Good idea about the cones, just please take them away when you move the car unlike some clowns on St Bridgets Terrace here in Galway City :)

Those cones are there to make sure the resident has a spot to come back to. A lady on Mill street does the same thing.

biko wrote: »
    16436746.parkingtooclose.jpg

Those cones are there to make sure the resident has a spot to come back to. A lady on Mill street does the same thing.

Yep, but as annoying as it for the resident (been there..) I don't think they have a claim on a public parking spot that just so happens to be outside their door, do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Yep, but as annoying as it for the resident (been there..) I don't think they have a claim on a public parking spot that just so happens to be outside their door, do they?
    No, i'd just move the cones. Blocking someone in is a different matter, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

Get a tow bar fitted and reverse ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Get a tow bar fitted and reverse ..

+1 - the ultimate parking aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

put out a gas cylinder or similar behind the car. gives you extra room

Wrong. throw the gas cylinder into the blocking car preferably through the windscreen, and then blame vandals.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I had a similar problem with a visitor to one of my neighbours, she'd park halfway across my driveway regularly with about 4 feet to spare to the car in front of her also parked on the road, one day I arrived back and couldn't get into my driveway so I knocked on the door, left my car on the road with the engine running and told her to move hers. She was so embarrased at her crappy parking especially when I pointed out that she had so much spare room and has since taken to parking at the public carpark of a shop in the estate and walking the 1 minute trip to my neighbour.

Most ignorant people don't realise they're being ignorant so it's up to us more enlightened people to show them the way. If you're worried about annoying the neighbours, they'll most likely be mortified but when I go on holidays I always offer the use of the driveway to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

nhughes100 wrote: »
    I had a similar problem with a visitor to one of my neighbours, she'd park halfway across my driveway regularly with about 4 feet to spare to the car in front of her also parked on the road, one day I arrived back and couldn't get into my driveway so I knocked on the door, left my car on the road with the engine running and told her to move hers. She was so embarrased at her crappy parking especially when I pointed out that she had so much spare room and has since taken to parking at the public carpark of a shop in the estate and walking the 1 minute trip to my neighbour.

Most ignorant people don't realise they're being ignorant so it's up to us more enlightened people to show them the way. If you're worried about annoying the neighbours, they'll most likely be mortified but when I go on holidays I always offer the use of the driveway to them.

Unfortunately when your neighbours do it deliberately - like at my mam's house - there's very little you can do as the Gardai or local council don't want to know.

Many's a time I've come over to havev to leave my car halfway down the street as I can't get parked outside her house, nevermind in the driveway because of neighbours parking vans and cars just far enough over to block the entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

The blocked driveway scenario happens to me occasionally too:(

Do these idiots forget the rules of the road:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A few years back we used to go to Cumiskys on blackhorse ave (for those who know it) after football on a Saturday. The guy that was drivign that day park at the end of a row, beside a kerb. When we came out there was a car parked an inch or so from his front bumper and one behind parked touching his bumper. After 10 mins of getting the reg called out in the pub he gave up and reversed gently backwards, pushing the car behind into the middle of the road in the carpark.

Hopefully the guy that found his car blocking 10 feet or so from where he parked it learned his lesson.

It's surprisingly easy to push a car with another car. iirc it was a mondeo or somesuch he pushed, he was driving a 1,4 corrolla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

I know.Its a pain having to get out and move them - but handy when spaces are scarse and u can help yourself to a space someone thought they were reserving for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If you know anyone working in the parking dept of a hospital or collage you could get some obstruction stickers that are very difficult to remove. Place them on the wind screen and driver side windows. They will think twice of parking again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Leave a pile of broken window glass near the spot....makes it look like a bad place to park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Happened me once, got a trolley jack, jacked up the back of the jeep which renders handbrake useless and pulled jeep about a hundred meters down the road and left it in the middle of the road(not on public road, in apartment complex)

Advertisement