Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Therapy / Training or something

Options
  • 02-10-2008 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Remember reading years ago how Royal Marine Commandos are trained to sleep anywhere so when they get a few minutes to themselves on operations they just all sleep. I think i need to get this in for myself. Sleeping in my bed by myself is no problem but anytime im in a room with different people i cant sleep at all, little things like heavy breathing / people moving just gets into my head and i cant sleep, likewise when im outside. I need to do something that will make it easier to sleep with others around or i will be f*cked going abroad with the army or ever having a proper relationship. I am considering hypnosis but i dont know if this will do anything for my sleep problem

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If I party all night, I have no problem sleeping through a boring lecture the next day. In a class of a hundred or more students taught by a grad assistant, who notices? Do the Royal Marine Commandos take women? I already go commando more often than not...

Oops...On topic: Have you looked into bio-feedback training? Apparently you can arrive by a state of calm conducive to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

If I party all night, I have no problem sleeping through a boring lecture the next day. In a class of a hundred or more students taught by a grad assistant, who notices? Do the Royal Marine Commandos take women? I already go commando more often than not...

Oh my gosh, you're just so cool. :cool:

Hypnosis might help, or maybe get a meditation CD, listen to it a few times at home until you know it, then talk yourself though it when you're trying to sleep elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Sgt Slaughter

I was thinking of hypnosis, but wasnt really sure about how to go about it or if there were any side effects to it. If anyone has any experience of it id love to hear them. Also never even thought of a meditation cd that might be something that ill certainly look into, i presume it doubles as a sort of stress relief aswel which would suit me down to the ground, the only thing is that i dont think i would be able to hum or sing out loud in a tent full of other lads to get to sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

No you dont need to hum or sing. :) Basicially, if you get a guided meditation, the voice will guide you along a mental journey.

So you will listen, and he might start off by saying something like "bring your awareness to your feet, feel each toe seperately, feel the muscles in your feet tense, then relax" this will continue as he makes you aware of different parts of your body, and relaxing them as you go along. You will be relaxed as you are concentrating on yourself. Once you listen a few times, you will know how to do it mentally without the cd and you can do it in your head whenever you need it.

There are so many different types of meditation cd's, it's just a matter of finding one that suits you.

Advertisement