Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This one really got up my nose..

Options
  • 02-10-2008 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

I took Richo and Ruby to the local park today, walking towards me was a young puppy..

Looking like Ruby, I thought it was a young Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Red and white nice head and tiny ear's..

But NO, it was a Boxer puppy with docked tail and clipped ear's!. (is that the correct term?.)

Its ear's were cut almost to the scalp :mad:

I know chopping the tail off is illegal but it can be done with a nod and a wink, but what kind of idiot thinks it looks good to have both tail and ear's done?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thats ridic, some sap wanting his dog to look "hard". Do you know if people can be questioned about this if seen by a warden or something, or is it a case of - once it's done, it's done.

I didn't realise docking was illegal. Is it illegal to doc all dogs in ireland now or are some breeds still allowed, like JRT's, dobies and rotties.
    Mairt wrote: »
    I took Richo and Ruby to the local park today, walking towards me was a young puppy..

Looking like Ruby, I thought it was a young Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Red and white nice head and tiny ear's..

But NO, it was a Boxer puppy with docked tail and clipped ear's!. (is that the correct term?.)

Its ear's were cut almost to the scalp :mad:

I know chopping the tail off is illegal but it can be done with a nod and a wink, but what kind of idiot thinks it looks good to have both tail and ear's done?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thats ridic, some sap wanting his dog to look "hard". Do you know if people can be questioned about this if seen by a warden or something, or is it a case of - once it's done, it's done.

I didn't realise docking was illegal. Is it illegal to doc all dogs in ireland now or are some breeds still allowed, like JRT's, dobies and rotties.

I'm open to correction but so far as I know all docking is illegal these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jenpup

Mairt wrote: »
    I'm open to correction but so far as I know all docking is illegal these days.

as far as I know, and I'm open to correction on this - tail docking is not illegal in Ireland but ear cropping is.

I bought my pup in May and his tail was docked (not my decision, breeder had already done it when I went to see him)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

As far as i know, will get it checked when i pick babs up from vet later, it is allowed as long as it is done by vet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Far as I am aware tail docking IS legal in Ireland but ear cropping is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Tail docking is legal in Ireland. It's frowned upon but legal. It is illegal in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Ah thats ridiculous. What on earth is the reason for docking its ears :mad:
    Working dogs and docking tails i can understand (I dont agree nor disagree because i dont know enough yet), but a pet? Surely there's no reason to do either tail or ears for a pet. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes ear cropping is illegal, but tail docking is still legal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Its cropping ears, where they are cropped to have them standing up. A lot of foreign dogs have them done, like dobes and great danes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

I've never seen or heard of an ear cropped dog in Ireland.

Could it have been a European import, i have seen it in a lot of dogs in France.
    Seems crazy though
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭SunnyP

I hate boxers with their ears cropped I think its cruel and not nice to look at!. My boxer Roy had a full tail which really suited him my boxer pup (10 months) unfortunetly had her tail docked.

Ear cropping has been illegal for years but I do know of one vet that seemingly will do it on the quiet needless to say I will never give him business.

Tail docking isnt illegal yet but prob will be soon. I know the vet practice we use refuse to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

SunnyP wrote: »
    I know the vet practice we use refuse to do it.

And thats where I got confused.

There was a discussion re. tail docking awhile back and apparently most Vets refuse to dock a puppies tail now.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

My sister used to work as a vet nurse in a practice a few years ago. They were completely against docking of any sort but they used to get "rough" types in who basically told them that unless the vet did it, they would go home and do it with a knife themselves. :(
    So it was either do it properly under anasthetic or leave the dog to suffer at the hands of those ****ers.
    People can be very cruel but we all know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

ear cropping is illegal. tail docking is not. tbh i didnt think anyone cropped ears any more. i've never come across it. have seen dogs with it done in spain.

Advertisement