Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway libraries

Options
  • 02-10-2008 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering where they are and are they good?

Can anyone use the library in NUIG?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I think that the public can pay for a membership in the NUIG library, no idea how much. Give them a ring to find out, they're a pretty nice bunch to deal with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

The public one in Galway is a disgrace for the size of Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

AFAIK the public can pay a small fee to access the NUIG campus library. The Galway City library is located on Augustine St. It costs 5euro to join (2 euro for students/unemployed). It is very small though as a previous poster mentioned AND only has 5 computers :O, you can't even print out there!!! There also is a new library on the westside of the city if i remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

NUIG library charges aren't really all that cheap.

"MEMBERSHIP FEES
    Personal Membership
    3 months membership €30
    6 months membership €60
    Annual membership €120

ADDITIONAL SERVICES
    The library offers a range of additional services to its external members. These services are tailored to the needs of businesses, industry, professionals and individuals.
    Borrowing Facilities
    Borrowing facilities (two items for two weeks) are available to members for an additional annual fee of €60. There is a minimum charge of €30 for shorter term borrowing facilities."

I don't mind paying once, but paying again then to borrow books doesnt seem quite right. But if you use it a lot it would work out value for money I guess.

see http://www.library.nuigalway.ie/services/services_for/external_users/index.html

For the public libraries see http://www.galway.ie/en/services/library/

The library is small but I think they do their best to help you and you can request books from other libraries for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

I just opened an account in the public one 2 days ago. The registration fee is €5, no other fees. Found everything that I needed there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

There are 2 other public libraries in Galway -- One in Westside next to the church, opposite the Topaz station, and one in Ballybane, near the community centre, in the middle of the estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Thanks very much for all the responses.

Advertisement