Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Aid Centre - "Tackling global Poverty"?

Options
  • 02-10-2008 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Was walking through O'Connell St today, past the new Irish Aid Centre (the old eircom shop) and I couldn't help notice the irony that there was two homeless Irish guys trying to sleep in the freezing cold and rain, underneath a big graphic on the window "how effective is Irish Aid?". Would have taken a photo if it wasn't disrespectful. By the way, these 2 guys were clearly visible from inside. The whole place is windows pretty much.I know they are not the Simon Community, and those poor men were probably glad just to have the shelter, but surely if an organisations aims are to tackle global poverty it has to look at the poverty of those at home too.interested in hearing others opinions on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

How do you know they were homeless due to poverty and not drug addiction, mental illness or any of the many, many other reasons that render people homeless.

There are schemes in place in all countries to tackle national poverty, there are also schemes to fight global poverty. One does not generally come at the expense of the other.

I'm not sure why this is political.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement