Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Want a Fiat Brava

Options
  • 02-10-2008 3:58pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Firstly I had a 98 punto a few years back. Drove it solid for 2.5 years and only put on new tyres and a few bulbs! Then got myself a 2001 baby blue brava.

Really loved this car, alloys and a sun roof and I put in a CD palyer that had a USB port. 6 months later and 4NCT tests failed I got told it needed a new engine :( So I traded it in.

But I still miss it. I have a vectra currently but the OH uses it as I'm only around the corner from work. 1 car has pros (less tax/insurance/fuel/repairs)
    but has its cons ( more expensive having 2 cars)

So am I utterly crazy to think about buying it!

Here is the car I was looking at

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Fiat/Brava/HSX/1219531/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The 1.2 in those is usually good, unusual that you had no problems with (presumaly) an 8v Punto and lots of problems with a 16v Brava, it's usually the other way around! Anyhoo... go for it, they're sound apart from getting a bit rattly inside with prolonged rough roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

1.2 is a fat obese Punto and is pretty gutless, go for 1.4 100SX with a recently done T/Belt and check for signs of Head Gasket failure (common problem). Also, wait for engine to get hot and check heater, if it blows cold Heater Matrix is knackered - another sign of this is a wet patch in passenger footwell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

the 1.4 litre Brava engine was very thirsty and was replaced by the 1.2 litre 16V. I'm not aware of a 1.4 litre 100bhp brava. I do know there was a 1.6 litre 100bhp engine.

That 1.2ltre brava looks very nice at the price. Last time I was in Tractamotors they were stuffed to the gills with cars so go with hard cash and wave it in front of their face to secure a decent discount or a belt change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Mailman wrote: »
    the 1.4 litre Brava engine was very thirsty and was replaced by the 1.2 litre 16V. I'm not aware of a 1.4 litre 100bhp brava. I do know there was a 1.6 litre 100bhp engine.

That 1.2ltre brava looks very nice at the price. Last time I was in Tractamotors they were stuffed to the gills with cars so go with hard cash and wave it in front of their face to secure a decent discount or a belt change.

I think you're right, I've never seen a 100bhp 1.4. The old 1.4 was pure muck. The 1.2 16v was way better. If you're talking about the 1.6 100 then that's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I drove one a few times before, and i think it was one of the very few cars i have cut out when trying to take off, maybe it was just that one, but i found the clutch/accelerator very weird. It had heated seats, oddly enough.

On the other hand. Nice car, low miles, 1 years tax, two years NCT and for 2 grand? How can you go wrong. It's a dealer too, so should give warranty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement