Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ncts have lost the 10 yearr contact for the nct

Options
  • 02-10-2008 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

I have just heard ncts have lost in the tender for the new 10 year licence for the national car test, The new company will take it over in december 2009

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,680 ✭✭✭Trampas

where did you hear?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From here?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Some sort of solid source for that would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I have just heard ncts have lost in the tender for the new 10 year licence for the national car test, The new company will take it over in december 2009

With, no doubt, a lot more reasons to fail cars as happened in the UK -- I used to be a chief tester in the UK until I got p****d off with it all.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If this is the case, SGS won't be in a position to sell the facilities to a new tester due to the fact that their driving test centres are in them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ART6 wrote: »
    With, no doubt, a lot more reasons to fail cars as happened in the UK -- I used to be a chief tester in the UK until I got p****d off with it all.:D

Well a system of having the tests in the same places that fix cars is never going to be an entirely solid one, especially for the less honest of the motor trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭wicklow joe

I used to work for them, staff were told by email last week what the paln was the company that won the tender was alpha plus or something like that i presume the new company will just come in and take over the current set up. so you wont even notice any diffence

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Interesting...

I just confirmed this with a friend of mine in SGS. Their reaction was 'how the phuq did you hear about that - it's being kept very secret'....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MYOB wrote: »
    If this is the case, SGS won't be in a position to sell the facilities to a new tester due to the fact that their driving test centres are in them...
    I don't think SGS own the sites and anyway, the driver testing contract will probably have ended by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I'd be very very surprised if there was any truth to this to be honest. I've put hundreds of cars through the NCT and I have to say that they are on top of their game and it's been very rare I've had a problem with a decision.

It's one of the rare things that the Dept of Transport can be credited with getting right... Also, as far as I know, their contract was only recently renewed...

Correction, I was thinking of a tender review as opposed to a renewal...

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/7750-0.pdf

They also have a yearly review of their operation and this is what I was thinking of...

• Advertisement
Advertisement