Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly payment to contractor when not justified - what to do?

Options
  • 02-10-2008 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭

Sorry about the title but it's hard to summarise.

Here goes, we have a lad in doing an attic conversion at the moment.
    He's been in for 3 and a half weeks now.
    We agreed that I would pay him some money every week to cover materials etc (needed to buy windows, insulation etc).

So anyway, in the past 2 weeks I've noticed he is spending less time there but you can guarantee he turns up on the Friday for the money!

Now I was told the windows would be in by now but still no sign of them and really in the past week there has been no real progress.

I am quite annoyed and concerned as to what has been done with the money and why aren't the velux windows (plus 2 gable end windows) delivered and ready for installation!

I asked him about the windows today and he said they have not been delivered yet...he ordered them 3 weeks ago, how long does it take? They are standard velux and standard windows! nothing fancy!

Now I want to voice my opinion and I want to hold off on money until I see some stock being delivered but I don't want to come across hostile either.

Can anyone maybe recommend a way to bring this up without creating ill feeling, I just want to let him know that I feel there is not enough work being done for the money being spent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Can' t really advise you on "being nice", but I can give some info that might help.
    • Standard Velux are available off the shelf or next day delivery.
    • Windows could take a week to 6 weeks to make - depending on manufacturer. Certain standard sizes could also be available off the shelf.
    • A written building contract should be signed to avoid this type of situation.
    If your verbal agreement is weekly cash based on progress on site, then if theres no progress theres no cash. If I didn't see any progress I'd stop all payments.

It sounds like its time to sit down and have a good chat, maybe get a written contract signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

RKQ wrote: »
    Can' t really advise you on "being nice", but I can give some info that might help.

It sounds like its time to sit down and have a good chat, maybe get a written contract signed up.

I agree, I am going to arrange a meeting with him tomorrow before any money is handed over. I don't have any issues with the lad himself, he's a nice lad, seems honest and stuff but I think he's just gone a bit lazy or he's giving another job his priority while we are probably funding it for him!

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ballystephen

My comiserations.I wouldnt give him a penny more until he got his finger out.He sounds like a pre credit crunch type builder who think the world owe him a living.
    Be strong and dont let him blarney any more money until the windows are in.
    Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

he is lying about the velux windows. you can get them next day over the phone.

I bet he is out doing another job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

ive been building attics for the last ten years or so, velux windows are available over the counter or next day if theyre top hung or other unusual types. windows for the gable ends may take a few weeks but theres no reason other things cant be done eg. stairs floors/joists plasterboard etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

btw windows for you gable wall should be available after three weeks, if all the other work is done then what is he doing and if hes doing nothing then whats he being paid for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

thanks for the advice folks, I've since then not paid him anything and wow, the velux windows have arived today! I will give them until tomorrow 5pm for them to be fitted!

Advertisement