Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt going in alfa 147

Options
  • 02-10-2008 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi,

Just a quick one regarding symptoms of a timing belt going in an alfa 147. There is a subtle sound coming from my engine, the best way i can describe it is as a kind of wheezing noise when i accelerate. Does anyone know if this may be a sign that my timing belt is going? The car has 73,000 on the clock and the timing belt was last done at 42,00 so i'm guessing its around the time it needs to be done again.

Also anyone got any idea of how much a new one would set me back?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Call Gerry Campbell at TI Autos for a chat, he'll set you right. 01 8386567. I'd do it straight away, a broken timing belt is very serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

bring it in asap...should set you back ball park €500 with Gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

If your timing belt was worn out and slipping your engine wouldn't run at all. Are you sure you don't just have a dirty air filter?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It could concievably be disintegrating and whining off the inside of the cover. Unlikely perhaps, but it's still a scary thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

As said if the timing belt was slipping yout timing would be out and it'd be very obvious! Could well be the "fan belt" tensioner. Get it looked at. Could be a few other things like the clutch release bearing or a transmission but most likely the fan belt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

AFAIK Alfa belts should be changed every 32,000, so it would be nearly due one by now. That wheezing could be the tensioner for the aux belt as gpf101 said. Believe me, if it skipped a tooth if you'd know all about it - if you're lucky you'll only bend your valves!

They're a relatively easy job to do, but it depends who you go to. Main dealer would charge upwards of €500, half decent mechanic could charge around €250-€300. Shop around. Just make sure that the T/B tensioner is changed at the same time, and while you're there get the Aux belt done too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Gerry is sorting me out with a new belt kit next week for a 2.0TS - not cheap I can tell you. Threw in an oil change, new plugs, and a thermostat and the job will be €1100 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Gerry is sorting me out with a new belt kit next week for a 2.0TS - not cheap I can tell you. Threw in an oil change, new plugs, and a thermostat and the job will be €1100 all in.

thats cos the 8 plugs come in at about €300

you would be better off buying them from shop4parts in UK for about €120 all in and shipping them free to someone in UK whi will in turn ship them to you and fit them yourself

same goes for the stat. Its handy enough to change.

I did both plugs & stat one day in about 3 hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

If you look around you can get plugs for 80 quid. Any place will fit them for ya for 30-40. 1100 is steep!

Advertisement