Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats the best way to check a cars history?

Options
  • 02-10-2008 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

We went to look at a car today being sold privately, I havent much experience of this and someone told me to definitely check out the history in case there is money owed on it.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You could use www.cartell.ie to see whether there's finance on it. Make sure to check the service history too. Look at the service book to see whether it's fully stamped up. Invoices for services carried out are better again. Then call each garage who stamped the book to verify that the car was actually serviced as per the stamp. Not only will this tell you whether the car has been cared for, it will also help to show up any discrepancies in the mileage. It's a buyers market, so if in doubt don't be afraid to walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

As what Anan said, also check that the person selling the car is the person who is named as the owner on the logbook, check this by passport or driving license. I would also only meet the person at their home, not anywhere else. Then also check that the chassis and engine numbers match what's recorded in the VLC document (logbook).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭GalwayDub2

Thanks a lot for the info. I did it last night, its really quick. They texted and emailed back within 5 minutes. :D

Advertisement