Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question

• 02-10-2008 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭

So I cooked up a nice beef stew last night, but then I forgot to put the rest of it in the fridge last night before bed. Its prob been sitting in the pot on the hob for at least 15 hours now. Would it still be ok to eat do you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Personally, I wouldn't, it could be fine though. I'm interested in other's opinions?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd say it's ok so long as you haven't had any heating on in the house since. If it was chicken I'd definitely say no.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

You didn't check out the OP's location yet DIzzyblonde :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

You could bring it back to the boil to attempt to kill off any harmful bacteria that may be in it, but it's still risky. It would be safer to discard it. As an aside, one thing I'm curious about - how is the Argentine beef you've tried compared to Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Well I've had some amazing steaks here, but still not sure which is better. I would say that your average cut of beef here is probably better but if you were comparing the best cuts v the best I am not sure yet. Only been here just over 3 weeks so far though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

The chances are it will be absolutely perfect, all the better in fact for having sat in an unchanging temperature for the extra time.

How often do you think your mam or your granny would put the stew in the fridge? ehhh never, it sat on the stove and got dipped a number of times over a few days.

Heat it gooooood and hot, let it bubble then simmer for at least fifteen minutes, it will be fab, unless you have a very very very delicate disposition it wont do you a tap of harm.

Enjoy.

Bell:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Again, perfect. It will have matured and got a better flavour. Like all casseroles and curries, better the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

if its been in a metal pot at room temp for that long i would chuck it, not even a second thought

It was but my friend just ate it all! He didn't seem to be too worried about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'd reheat thoroughly and then eat without a second thought.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I often leave soups and stews sitting on the hob overnight until the next evening. I just heat it all back up again, make sure it boils for a bit and then eat it.

It lasts for about 3 days that way I find. Never had a problem yet.

However I am in Ireland not exotic locations.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to food poisening and the like. I'll post up the recipe for the stew sometime when I have all the measures down. It's quite delicious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Heat it and eat it. That's what I would have done. Whether it's 15deg or 30deg there will be bacterial activity, but heating it over 70deg for a few minutes should take care of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

It'll be fine, taste better, but make sure you bring it to the boil and the meat is heated thoroughly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You didn't check out the OP's location yet DIzzyblonde :-D

Oh God, I hope it's cold there :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

My grandad always left the stew sitting out on the stove and it tasted better every day. we never got sick,

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Have been reheating 1-2 day old stew for years without a bother - as above, the taste only gets better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 chefsden

yes ! the stew will be okey to eat if the stew was boiling before it was left in the room temp to cool ,, it will still be okey to eat to next day but make sure that u boil it and if it got a bit thick over night due to the starch content of the potato or barly? etc u can but some hot boiling water to give it that runny stew texture this will bring it back to life... and it will also stop the stew from burning or sticking to the pot .... yes the flavour of a stew will improve over night and depending in the contents of the stew... beef ,, lamb ,, veg is very important etc ,:)

Advertisement