Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WOW in work :)

• 02-10-2008 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Tired of all those excel spread sheets, got half an hour to a meeting, out of coffee - you need to be able to play World of Warcraft in you office.

Its a lot simpler than you think as well.

This method i am posting is only really for people in college / offices that have a fire wall blocking the port wow listens on.

Wow listens on port 3724.

If like me your work firewall blocks it then do the following.

you will need:
    a ssh tunnel to you server
    a program called Proxifier.

so here is what you do.

1. open putty
    2. create a new connection to your server.
    3. in putty click on the Tunnels option under SSH
    4. ad in any port ( i use 2222) and set the destination to auto and local
    5. save
    6. open your new connection and log into it.
    7. open up Proxifier
    8. click the hammer symbol and click add
    9. for address use 127.0.0.1, port matches the port yoiu selected on your ssh tunnel, and protocol is SOCKS 5
    10. check it to make sure it all passes.
    11. click ok and load up wow.

Now you can be doing those "important" pie charts while leveling your Death night.

I thank you. /flex

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

You'd get a more receptive response here :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 The Shock Maste

good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Thread moved. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Now if only my work pc could run wow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

This can also be done without having to use a dedicated server. You can use HTTP-Tunnel client which works along with proxifier to achieve the same result. BTW the legality of doing this in a workplace or college is a bit hazy. A firewall IS there for a reason so you could find yourself in a little bit of bother if you are found to be bypassing your companies/college's firewall and therefore breaching there network policy.

• Advertisement

cian1500ww wrote: »
    This can also be done without having to use a dedicated server. You can use HTTP-Tunnel client which works along with proxifier to achieve the same result. BTW the legality of doing this in a workplace or college is a bit hazy. A firewall IS there for a reason so you could find yourself in a little bit of bother if you are found to be bypassing your companies/college's firewall and therefore breaching there network policy.

That is very true, however when you work in a company that has every port blocked except for 80, 25 and 110 and the systems you use for actual work needs certain ports open and this is the only way you can get around it becase your IT guy is well lets say.... a fool then i see nothing wrong with it :p

but your roght you have to be careful doing this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Have also run Wow on my Iphone via tightVNC installed on PC at home and through the VNc client on iphone :) Pretty bloody good really, even an emulated keyboard to help move around. Just queued my character up at the AV NPC in Org, joined AV's over and over and did my best in defence rather than just plain leech (which I hate). Actually got a fair few kills too :D

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Have also run Wow on my Iphone via tightVNC installed on PC at home and through the VNc client on iphone :) Pretty bloody good really, even an emulated keyboard to help move around. Just queued my character up at the AV NPC in Org, joined AV's over and over and did my best in defence rather than just plain leech (which I hate). Actually got a fair few kills too :D

Sir my hat comes off to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Whats putty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

You forgot the last few steps,

12 - Receive email from boss requesting meeting,

13 - Attend meeting with boss, IT, HR, concerning Gross Misconduct

14 - Clean your desk and never come back to office.

15 - Struggle to find a new job in these increasingly difficult times.

16 - Play WoW all you want at home :)

ha ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

WellyJ wrote: »
    You forgot the last few steps,

12 - Receive email from boss requesting meeting,

13 - Attend meeting with boss, IT, HR, concerning Gross Misconduct

14 - Clean your desk and never come back to office.

15 - Struggle to find a new job in these increasingly difficult times.

16 - Play WoW all you want at home :)

Sounds good to me although you forgot to add winning the lotto

Advertisement