Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Irish.

Options
  • 02-10-2008 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else finding this realllly difficult? Don't want to drop down as I may need the points. But seriously I can't understand the questions in the paper let alone answer the damn things.

Especially the poetry and prose. I think it's just the fact I don't know any vocab. Can't believe it's been 14 years of learning Irish and I still don't know a bloody word.

I've been learning german for 6 years and know it way better.

Any tips?

I'm already doing grinds but I don't even understand them!!

BTW: thanks to whoever deleted my other two topics, because boards froze so I clicked send afew times (assumed it was my connection), and then I couldn't delete them, so yeah, thanks xD :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

rhapsody! wrote: »
    Is anyone else finding this realllly difficult? Don't want to drop down as I may need the points. But seriously I can't understand the questions in the paper let alone answer the damn things.

Especially the poetry and prose. I think it's just the fact I don't know any vocab. Can't believe it's been 14 years of learning Irish and I still don't know a bloody word.

I've been learning german for 6 years and know it way better.

Any tips?

I'm already doing grinds but I don't even understand them!!

BTW: thanks to whoever deleted my other two topics, because boards froze so I clicked send afew times (assumed it was my connection), and then I couldn't delete them, so yeah, thanks xD :)

I find it quite difficult but i will not drop unless im implicitly told to drop by my teacher (who wont tell me that, because she loves me :)). All i can do is work at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I stayed in Honours for 5th year but had plans to drop after Christmas of 5th Year. There wasn't enough room in the pass classes and my teacher suggested that I stick it out for one year because they were going to make a new class this year. I didn't really struggle with Irish, I was a C student but the amount of effort I put in was just too much and I just didn't need it for points so now I'm in the new pass class and I'm loving it so far with most of the pass course already done in 5th year. It's a hard choice to make to drop or not. What year are you in? If you're in 5th and you are motivated, you can improve greatly in that time. If you're in 6th and still finding it hard, I don't know. The choice is yours to focus on a hard subject or spending that time on your better subjects to improve them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

hmm..is your problem with spoken irish or the written stuff?

im horribly bad at the comprehensions i get like d's on them all but im still around a b student in higher just because im good at the oral and aural.

you can pre learn stuff for the course except for the comprehensions rreally.learn a few essays and you can adapt them to fit most titles,the poetry you can learn same with the storys and history(though i know its crazy hard).if you like it and are willing to work id say stick with it at least to christmas tests or mocks as if you drop you dont need to learn anything new.if you feel you are dedicating too much time to it and dont need it for points it might be good for you to drop as its a lot of work to do.

just realised how confusing that answer is sorry.just basically ou can only decide yourself weather to stay or not

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

You could learn off some words that you can apply to all answers on poems and prose. Do past exam questions and look up any word you feel you'd need to answer them and keep a record of it. When it comes to revising look over the exam questions you answered and you'll see in your own words all you know about characters/themes/techniques.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 terradactalxo

Everybody I know doing higher Irish is finding it very difficult, as am I. I did ordinary for my Junior but quickly realised that I should be doing higher although I couldn't go back up..
    Don't worry!! It will be fine though .. Irish just seems to be one of those subjects everyone struggles a little bit with.
    5th year has just started and I'm already overwhelmed.
    You, me and everyone else. We're all in the same boat. And we'll all be fine :]
    You just gotta keep believing .. sounds cheesy .. but it works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Essays - Learning off essays is generally a good idea. You can usually adapt an essay to fit the title that you're given. If something you haven't learned off comes up, then you will at least have some vocab from those essays and also you will know general structure of an essay.

Poetry/Prose/Stair - All you can really do here is sit down and learn, learn, learn. A good idea with poetry is to translate the peom into simple Irish, so you can understand what's going on in each verse. Sometimes questions will ask the meaning of certain lines - if you have already translated, then you'll have no problem answering these kind of questions.

For your single text, you will most likely be asked either on themes or on characters. Character sketches are probably easier to do because you can learn it all off beforehand and just reproduce it, whereas a question on themes might require a bit more thought.

Mastering comprehensions just requires you to practice all the past exam questions. They have the same format every year, and it's usually pretty simple to spot where the answer is. The only difficult part is trying to work out how to say the answer in your own words. If you get really stuck, then copy the answers word for word from the text. You won't get full marks but at least you'll get some.

Advertisement