Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tv tuner on phone

• 02-10-2008 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

Hi , I am looking at buying a phone with a built in TV Turner : Free Analog TV support PAL and NTSC

Would anyone know what chanels i could pick up in Ireland ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

afaik, no such phone exists in this country...but i could be wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

found one on ebay but not to sure if it will work with tv tuner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Barr wrote: »
    found one on ebay but not to sure if it will work with tv tuner

Why don't you post a link?
    Outside asia no such device afaik... So that ebay thing will be either rubbish or some import...
    Eten are releasing a digital tv phone soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Never heard of a phone with an analog tuner, don't even think that's possible. As Strecker mentioned, there are phones with variations of digital tuners available in Asia, haven't heard of any in Europe or the US.

You could however get a Slingbox and with a phone that can support the Mobile Sling Player, you could essentially stream your home analog TV to it. Not the same as having the tuner built in, but probably the closest you can get. The older analog-only Slingbox is pretty cheap these days:

http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=170005

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

There are alot of Chinese phones with analogue tv tuner on ebay.

• Advertisement

i'm not into the world of chinese knock offs esp iphones, how good is that on a scale of 1 to 10? :D it would be an interesting handset, although i bet the OS is utter crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I bought one of these Chinese phones from ebay a few months back and it's the business!

I can pick up all the analogue Irish stations - basically whatever you'd get if you had a portable with an ariel.

My phone also lets me have two SIMs on the go at once.

The only downside was the external mic/headphone was quite poorly made and the connecting jack fell apart with very little use, but these are fairly generic and can be replaced easily (I hope!).

I bought one of these Chinese phones from ebay a few months back and it's the business!

I can pick up all the analogue Irish stations - basically whatever you'd get if you had a portable with an ariel.

My phone also lets me have two SIMs on the go at once.

The only downside was the external mic/headphone was quite poorly made and the connecting jack fell apart with very little use, but these are fairly generic and can be replaced easily (I hope!).

Is it the same model above you bought ? Do you find the tv reception good on the phone . Are you able to receive MMS messages ?

until 2012 of course. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,452 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

if your ordering the phone from the far east

youll might get charged extra by customs so be prepared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭brendanuk

how do they make them, ship them & make profit for £99!? :eek:

There exceptional value if you consider they can also run two sims at the same time -which for me is a must

Barr wrote: »
    Is it the same model above you bought ? Do you find the tv reception good on the phone . Are you able to receive MMS messages ?
    No, mine was a silver clamshell - when you flip the top open, it can rotate around 180 degrees to give you a widescreen picture. It's the coolest thing ever!

Mind you that iPhone look-a-like seems pretty cool.

Reception is basically as good as you can manage to get with a regular TV aerial. It depends on the area. There's the added plus of a little aerial that you can pop out, but I've never had to use it around Dublin City Centre.

Yes, MMS isn't a problem.

Why can they make them so cheap? Have you ever been to a Chinese factory?!?

They all seem to use a generic Chinese firmware that was made to work in all markets, so you could use it in the states and across Europe just as effectively for TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,452 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

finally found the website i was looking for

looks a cool phone

http://chinagrabber.com/f99i-flip-open-rotating-screen-tv-cell-phone.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

finally found the website i was looking for

looks a cool phone

http://chinagrabber.com/f99i-flip-open-rotating-screen-tv-cell-phone.aspx

Anyone ever bought off this site? That looks like an interesting phone for 150e

Anyone ever bought off this site? That looks like an interesting phone for 150e
    That's the same phone I have and it picks up RTE 1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4 no problem.

I haven't bought off that site, but it looks a bit pricey. You could source the same stuff cheaper from Chinese ebayers or go to www.chinavasion.com.

BTW How cool are those cell-phone watches?!?

That's the same phone I have and it picks up RTE 1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4 no problem.

I haven't bought off that site, but it looks a bit pricey. You could source the same stuff cheaper from Chinese ebayers or go to www.chinavasion.com.

BTW How cool are those cell-phone watches?!?

Nice selection of phones. Do you have to be a wholesaler to buy?

Did you have to pay any extra through customs ?

I really like the look of this

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.php/pName/pda-smartphone-with-keyboard-touchscreen-media-cell-phone/

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭costacurta

Has anyone gotten anything from this website before. I'm looking for a tv phone for the champions league on Tuesdays and Wednesday which I have to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've seen TV on one of those analogue phones. Reception is as good as you'd get with an aerial i.e it is as good as you could reasonably expect. The only warning I'd give is not the quality of the phone - the clones are normally fairly sturdy unless you get one of the really cheap fifty dollar ones - but the quality of the aerial. In most models it's very thin and flimsy and inevitably breaks after a few weeks or months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement