Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best place for home network router/switch

Options
  • 02-10-2008 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Im putting in a home network in the house Im building and I was wondering whats the best place to locate my switch and router. I was going to put hem in a central position in the attic (2 storey house) Im just wondering would there be a problem with heat in the attic affecting the equipment. Anyone got any opinions on the setup?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cat5

Im putting in a home network in the house Im building and I was wondering whats the best place to locate my switch and router. I was going to put hem in a central position in the attic (2 storey house) Im just wondering would there be a problem with heat in the attic affecting the equipment. Anyone got any opinions on the setup?

Attic can get a bit hot in summer allright...You could always use vacant space under the stairs or What about your utility or where ever the sparks is putting the main fuse board.. Its kinda hard to say without knowing the layout of proppsed house..How many points ...wheather your vwiring for audio + tv + network + Phone system.. It can get pretty big... Your sparks should have a good idea..

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

I thought about the utility room its on the ground floor and in the centre of the house. Thought it might be more tidy in the attic and more straight forward to wire.

Therell be about 12 points at least one in each room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Dont forget anytime you have to reset a router or connect anthing its a trip to the attic..:eek:..
    How big or small a sytem are you contemplating?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Yeah the old attic trips can be annoying but a staire would make life easier. I plan to have an office with a pc in one room, a home cinema with a pc attached to AV unit in another and in some other rooms tvs with network media players. Im putting connections in all rooms to future proof the house. CAT6. All the media will run from the office PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Have you kids.. geeting in to an attic to re set or connect stuff while they tryin to sleep or go to sleep is a pain.. (believe me I know)//.
    I'd be inclined to go the utility room ..put a nice 9U wall mount comms cabinate with tinted glass front door up high.. (as well as being practical ...can actuallly look good.:D)

• Advertisement
Advertisement