Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Dell

Options
  • 02-10-2008 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi guys!

I'm looking for some advice on video card pricing. I own a XPS m1710 notebook I purchased three years ago. A couple of months back the graphics card (nVidia 512mb geoforce go 7900 gtx) burnt out. It has been a pain in the ass getting this replaced but I eventually got somewhere two weeks ago. I ordered a 7950 series (an overclocked version of the first) with dell again to find that the order was taken down wrong. They placed an order for a 7900 even though I have e-mails quoting 7950. They charged me 425 but gave me 30% off bringing it down to 300. Here's the thing. I probably wouldn't have cared at all that I got a 7900 if it was new... They charged me 300 for a refurbished part that has slight visable damage the air intakes. It has a sticker saying it was refurbished in February (so its been sitting in a store room for the last 8 months). The damage I'm sure has happened after it was refurbished as the plastic bag it was contained in was also damaged...

So anyway what I'm asking is... Does any know what kind of price range a new 7900 goes for? They're still top class but are dated at this stage. I'm not sure if I would have paid 300 if I knew I was getting a 7900, but at the same time I can't find anywhere on the net that will give me a basis for this. Maybe they are this price...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Ridiculous pricing from dell.

Now are you sure it's a 1710?
    Don't think these are out 3 years more like only close to 2.
    Better check that first.
    Anyway the 1710 will also take the 7950GTX which is miles better than the 7900.
    It's 512mb card and a mate bought one off ebay for about 350 euros.
    Nothing there presently but there's a few sites around that sell dell replacement parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Gypo

Given the trouble nVidia are having with mobile GPUs, it might be worth investigating if the 7900 has been added to the affected card list. You just might have a legitimate claim. Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Nope..the 7series Nvidia cards not affected. Only 8series and some of the 9 series.

Advertisement