Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palin apologises for lying about meeting

Options
  • 02-10-2008 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1066426/Sarah-Palin-blunders-talks-British-ambassador-took-place-TV-debate-looms.html
    Sarah Palin has committed yet another political blunder after claiming she had held talks with a British ambassador - talks that never actually took place.

In an answer to questions about her foreign policy experience ahead of tonight's make-or-break vice presidential TV debate, her aides listed numerous contacts with foreign officials - including Britain's ambassador to Washington, Sir Nigel Sheinwald.

However the meeting never occurred. Officials at the embassy swiftly contacted the McCain-Palin campaign to inform them of the discrepancy.

Tonight is going to be hysterical. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yeah ****ing right. I just realised what they will do - cochlear implant. She is going to be a total puppet in that debate. if you're watching on HD look out for the strings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Don't like Palin much, do you Hobbes?

Whilst noting that Palin is indeed responsible for the activities of her aides, it's hard to fault even the aides on this one. The gathering was one not organised by Palin, and the article states that the Ambassador's name was not removed by whoever was doing the organising. Ergo it comes more under the heading of 'faultless error' than any particular malevolence or incompetence.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Don't like Palin much, do you Hobbes?

Actually I think she is great for comedic value. But as a VP no I wouldn't like her to be one, which is why I have been avoiding the stupid anti-palin stories (for example, lipstick tattoo claim, or that NORAD refuted her Russia airplanes claim, or that she hasn't even seen Russia from Alaska :rolleyes: )
    Whilst noting that Palin is indeed responsible for the activities of her aides, it's hard to fault even the aides on this one. The gathering was one not organised by Palin, and the article states that the Ambassador's name was not removed by whoever was doing the organising.

I think if she actually met him she would remember rather then make stuff up and hope no one would notice.

We aren't talking about her being at an event with the British ambassador, she actually said she had a meeting with him. Which he has denied.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

hey we all wanted her to be a surprise perfect VP. when we heard mccains vp pick i think everybody said "wow" for a few minutes. but she turned out to be exactly what the skeptics said she was: the year's biggest pander to voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Also, this interview dosen't exactly inspire confidence.

This woman is going to do serious damage to the McCain campaign, at least I hope she does.

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote: »
    We aren't talking about her being at an event with the British ambassador, she actually said she had a meeting with him.

Did she? The article you quote says that her aides just released a list of names of people present at a Governor's conference, which the Ambassador corrected. This is a little different from the words "I held a meeting with the British Ambassador on this date" coming out of her mouth, no?

Similarly, the Russian airspace violations claim is being slightly mis-represented. There was nothing factually incorrect about what she said, NORAD did not refute her claim, instead clarified the chain of command for responses. (Incidentally, the Russians do claim to have entered US Airspace, making it a simple 'he-said/she-said between the RMoD and NORAD on the issue
    http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2006/04/24/206145/russians-claim-bomber-flights-over-us-territory-went.html)

As far as gaffes go, this one over the British Ambassador is pretty minor. At least Biden's FDR gaffe, which apparently does not warrant a thread here, came out of his own mouth, and managed to combine a hat-trick of errors into one phrase.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Lawlord007

Did she? The article you quote says that her aides just released a list of names of people present at a Governor's conference, which the Ambassador corrected. This is a little different from the words "I held a meeting with the British Ambassador on this date" coming out of her mouth, no?

Similarly, the Russian airspace violations claim is being slightly mis-represented. There was nothing factually incorrect about what she said, NORAD did not refute her claim, instead clarified the chain of command for responses. (Incidentally, the Russians do claim to have entered US Airspace, making it a simple 'he-said/she-said between the RMoD and NORAD on the issue
    http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2006/04/24/206145/russians-claim-bomber-flights-over-us-territory-went.html)

As far as gaffes go, this one over the British Ambassador is pretty minor. At least Biden's FDR gaffe, which apparently does not warrant a thread here, came out of his own mouth, and managed to combine a hat-trick of errors into one phrase.

NTM

Are you saying you are having difficulty finding startling statements coming out of Palin's mouth? If so, where have you been the past month?!

Lawlord007 wrote: »
    Are you saying you are having difficulty finding startling statements coming out of Palin's mouth?

Not at all. I'm just observing on the apparent need to open up multiple new threads on Palin on the slightest excuse, whilst there is apparently less emphasis on her esteemed opponent. Granted, he's a little more reliable, but hasn't been infallible either.

NTM

Seems H.E. Sir Nigel Sheinwald isn't overly enthralled by Obama either.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7650373.stm

NTM

Advertisement