Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reeling in the Year DVD Coming Soon

• 02-10-2008 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

According to some guy on Drive Time with Dave Fanning on RTÉ Radio 1, RTÉ have sorted the rights issues and are set to release a box set of Reeling in the Years.

Hopefully it will be 1960 - 1999

At last!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'd love to believe this.. but all that music being cleared without costing RTÉ a small fortune.. seems unlikely!

But here's hoping!

* pre-empting this by saying NO requests for copies of it recorded on a VHS / DVD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

* pre-empting this by saying NO requests for copies of it recorded on a VHS / DVD

If there isn't one coming out this Christmas I am recording it and putting it up on Youtube :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's all out there anyway, somewhere... y'arr.

couldn't they just re edit different songs onto the episodes? if that's what they've done, i'm sure it'll still be good... but alot of those songs were just *perfect* for the scene. Hate to see any of it changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Nice! Deffo a must buy if it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

On my shopping list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Boardsbud

Mordeth wrote: »

couldn't they just re edit different songs onto the episodes? if that's what they've done, i'm sure it'll still be good... but alot of those songs were just *perfect* for the scene. Hate to see any of it changed.

I would have thought that its the music that makes this show and as well as that the picture sequences would have been cut to the tracks, they're not just thrown on randomly. Any suggestions as to what it could be replaced with ? No mater what you use there will be clearance costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It'd be great if they did release a this.

Being able to relive Grandpa janeybabe's hair waving in the wind over and over would be priceless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Looks like it has been confirmed for end of October.

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/1009/reelingintheyears.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

is_that_so wrote: »
    Looks like it has been confirmed for end of October.

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/1009/reelingintheyears.html
    Reeling In the 80's? "150 minute double DVD" = 5 / 6 max!? They planning on leaving out some years, or doing a best of? :confused:

"1986 was a good year... 1987 not so much.. 1989 was wonderful.. 1990.. oh wait, buy the next DVD!"

EDIT: Ahhhhhhhhhhhh..
    "gathers all the key news, sport, pop culture and entertainment from the decade."
    There'll need to cut out roughly half the original footage! Balls to that :(

Or it won't be key events.. it's probably be the footage under the music they've cleared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Well I won't be buying that then. Typical RTE, the one good program they've ever made and then can't even give it a proper DVD release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭foodaholic

yeah i was on RTEs website its a edited version of reeling in the years but will probably still buy it. would make a great Christmas present

Gah :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Reeling In the 80's? "150 minute double DVD" = 5 / 6 max!? They planning on leaving out some years, or doing a best of?

"1986 was a good year... 1987 not so much.. 1989 was wonderful.. 1990.. oh wait, buy the next DVD!"

EDIT: Ahhhhhhhhhhhh..

RTE Meeting with rights holder:-

RTE Sales Exe: So we want the rights !!!
    Rights Holder: Okay!!! you can have some of them but not all.
    RTE Sales Exe: Why?
    Rights Holder: Bob Geldof has some issues
    RTE Sales Exe: What are they!
    Rights Holder: He thinks he should be part of the limited addition version for Xmas 2015
    RTE Sales Exe: Grand, thats no problem
    Rights Holder: He will give you rights to I hate mondays in 2012, you can all it the directors cut
    RTE Sales Exe: What should we call this release?
    Rights Holders: Reeling in some of the years! now that as much as we can give you 1980.
    RTE Sales Exe: And then what
    Rights Holders: 1990s 2010, 1970s 2011, 1960s 2012 with a directors cut of 1908's, 2013 1980s in full with directors cut 1990s and so on.
    RTE Sales Exe: Reeling in the Money :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Mordeth wrote: »

Yep there's plenty of perfectly good songs in the public domain...

Such as London Bridge is Falling Down and Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

London Bridge is Falling Down
    That will do for any of the IRA footage from the 1970's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Guess I'll stick with my own unedited 4 disc DVD version of it.:pac:

I'd buy this if it came out.

Love watching it :) although why do they take it off after the summer !?

It would seem that RTÉ treat this as filler material but then how many times can it be shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

The two and a half hours on DVD comprises many sequences taken directly from the TV series: some sequences that combine stories and songs from a given year in a different way: and one or two ‘new’ (well, old, really, but new to ‘Reeling’) stories that we came across in our fresh researches into the RTE archive and we’ve included as well.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/reelingintheyears/faq.html

It'll still be worth watching to see what "new" events from the 1980s make it into the DVD.

I think it's great news anyway. The full episodes are repeatedly broadcast on TV anyway, they're also available online.

I wonder have they got cracking on Reeling in the Noughties yet? Love to know what track they'll choose for the current financial turbulence: I'd like to suggest Kid Rock's All Summer Long... ****e song for a ****e period of economic history

Advertisement