Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drums 2 - the solo.

Options
  • 02-10-2008 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

PLEASE DO THE POLL!!

Just to see if there is any interest in organising a drum recording day where folks could come into a pro studio watch and participate in a drum track being set up and recorded.

I've already spoken to Rupert Cobb about coming over from the UK for it and he's interested. Rupert is the guy who records and mixes Live at Abbey Road so he should know the basics ;)

I can't get him over for free so there may be an entrance fee unless I can get a sponsor - there's also the issue of drums and a drummer, which I think I've sorted.

I think I can sponge a studio day too!

I'm hoping our very own StudioRat and Tweeky will be on hand too to share their knowledge/take the piss.

If there's enough interest it could be a fun educational day.

Would you be interested in attending a Drum Recording Day? 16 votes

Yes, and I'd pay to attend
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, but I'm too mean to pay
    75% 12 votes
    Might, if I'm passing ...
    6% 1 vote
    Drums? why not use BFD?
    18% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Would this be very expensive though? Getting a studio AND someone over from Engerland? Sounds cool though.

Does he know the recorderman technique?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

TelePaul wrote: »
    Would this be very expensive though? Getting a studio AND someone over from Engerland? Sounds cool though.

Studio - probably free

Drums/Drummer - hopefully free

Lad - Not free

Flight - Not free but not dear

probably 3 or 4 hundred would cover it

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Studio - probably free

Drums/Drummer - hopefully free

Lad - Not free

Flight - Not free but not dear

probably 3 or 4 hundred would cover it

If there were 8 of us, that'd be €50. I'm sorry to say that even that's beyond me now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

This is a great idea so I am down with it bigtime. I'll pay any day. Best weekend though !

If there were 8 of us, that'd be €50. I'm sorry to say that even that's beyond me now :(

Nah ! 20 quid tops ....... aiming at a 10er

• Advertisement

Nah ! 20 quid tops ....... aiming at a 10er

Totally doable!

Totally doable!

Zactly!

The aim would be to cover the basics of recording drums with emphasis on avoiding common pitfalls.

There are absolutely no airs or graces about Rupert - so there'd be no shape throwing (apart from me, of course) or nothing for anyone to be intimidated by (apart from me, of course)

The goal is to remove some myths and establish some facts as a good starting point for guys to progress from.

There are absolutely no airs or graces about Rupert - so there'd be no shape throwing (apart from me, of course) or nothing for anyone to be intimidated by (apart from me, of course)

So i can ask him about the recorderman method?

So i can ask him about the recorderman method?

Anything you like, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this Paul

I'm definately in (again, week-ends preferable).

I'll post a link to this thread in the drummingireland forum too... may be some interest over there.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭danjokill

again, defo stick my name in the pot!!!!

Cool, I've just conatcted a city centre studio to see what they think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hamester

Sounds great, any idea of when you're considering this? I'm defo in except if its on tue, wed or thurs (Damn needing money :))

Variables being sifted through, as we speak....

Check here for news.

hamester wrote: »
    Sounds great, any idea of when you're considering this? I'm defo in except if its on tue, wed or thurs (Damn needing money :))

Pull a sickie ya Lightweight!

Here's some of the people Rupert has worked with ....

http://www.mezzrow.co.uk/Logictoolbox/Logicnamedrop.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

im in if you make it a saturday or sunday - ( but not around november 15 )

note
    I will play for free if you get stuck for a drummer as well if you supply kick / 2toms and stands ( or have transport for a kit - im car-less )

im not a famous session drummer or anything , but I know what im doing and willing to learn more.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

I can donate my Sonor S Class maple and set of A Customs for the day if it doesn't clash with a recording session. This kit records very well.
    Of course if he is demoing a modern kit recording it will all be triggered anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

Sundays might be best, I tend to be busier on Saturday.
    Dunno how the rest of ye are fixed.

Well I'm pleased to announce Deirdre has loaned us her studio, Westland in Dublin City centre for our Drumathon.

Some of you were there at our SSL event a while ago.

http://www.westlandstudios.ie/

The studio is a mid 80s Eastlake Audio facility designed by David Hawkins and has an SSL E series console.

At least we've a venue now .....

I can donate my Sonor S Class maple and set of A Customs for the day if it doesn't clash with a recording session. This kit records very well.
    Of course if he is demoing a modern kit recording it will all be triggered anyway:D

Thanks for that Michael - I'm trying to arm twist a 'new' music shop to send down their wares/lads for the day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Fstudios

count me in!! Nice work Paul.

Fstudios wrote: »
    count me in!! Nice work Paul.

I won't be doing the Work!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Depending on the day I could also donate my Ludwig Superclassic Maple kit, a Pearl CZX Custom kit and a dash of A and K Zildjians and vintage 3000 Paistes.

I'd pay good money to see how he'd approach mic'ing my Ludwig Black Beauty snare. It's so loud that I stopped using it for live gigs where it wasn't even going through the PA to begin with.

Depending on the day I could also donate my Ludwig Superclassic Maple kit, a Pearl CZX Custom kit and a dash of A and K Zildjians and vintage 3000 Paistes.

I'd pay good money to see how he'd approach mic'ing my Ludwig Black Beauty snare. It's so loud that I stopped using it for live gigs where it wasn't even going through the PA to begin with.

Ah! We might take the ole Black Beauty ok!

What's a superclassic? Is that an old kit?

I'm thinking we should go for a modern 'big' sounding drum buzz in the main room and perhaps something older style in the dead drum booth?

Ah! We might take the ole Black Beauty ok!

What's a superclassic? Is that an old kit?
    Honestly, the Black Beauty is an unweildly beast. I also have a Ludwig Supraphronic snare circa 1974 that I had to refurbish by stuffing cotton wool in the lugs. This was the same model used by Jon Bonham and Keith Moon in the early 1970's.

The Superclassic I/II is Ludwig's flagship Maple shell range.

Over the years, I found cymbals much harder to record as you can't just slap a load of gaffer tape on or apply gates. I've favoured the Paistes more in the studio as they have a 'tighter' sound (especially their crashes/splashes) than the A/K Zildjians.

Top tip for bass drum recording - old 1d/1 pound coin on the batter head held in place by a cross of gaffer tape and a wooden beater on the bass pedal. The top is incredible.

...or just get a Roland TD20 kit and DI it!

Top tip for bass drum recording - old 1d/1 pound coin on the batter head held in place by a cross of gaffer tape and a wooden beater on the bass pedal. The top is incredible.

If you want to sound like Simple Minds! Get with the program Daddy-O! You dig? That shizit stopped well before the Punt did!!!;)

If you want to sound like Simple Minds! Get with the program Daddy-O! You dig? That shizit stopped well before the Punt did!!!;)
    Using 50's jazz-slang to tell me that I'm behind the times? Irony much?

Using 50's jazz-slang to tell me that I'm behind the times? Irony much?

I was being subtle!

Let me see how the drum plan progresses, a Black Beauty would be a fabulous addition anyway as it's an industry standard. Many will have heard about them but a lot may not have heard in the flesh ...

I love simple minds!

Dont you ..... forget about me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

it's almost difficult to make a black beauty sound bad!

I do hope someone teaches drum tuning as I think that at least 90% of stuff recorded on a budget has bad drum tuning in it.

Advertisement